Vogue Italia January 2021 : The Animal Issue

The photographer who domesticated the ostrich, that's so cruel! Amazed that the Argentinian government allowed that.
This is an animal that absolutely must run in packs and need a lot of roaming space. Just because you found it doesn't mean you can keep it.

*Dialling WWF*

I'll just leave Farneti's Letter for the January Issue here:

"Like this time last year, we have decided to dedicate the January issue to the environment, once again coinciding with the publication of the charter of valuessigned by the editors-in-chief of Vogue from all over the world (you can read the 2021 Vogue Values statement below).

Twelve months ago, we launched a small symbolic message by producing an entire issue without fashion photography. In doing so we reduced our carbon footprint, at least for one month, and offered a reminder that we can’t expect others to change their ways unless each of us is prepared to demonstrate our own commitment first.

This time we wanted to let animals take over our physical and digital space. It is an invitation to refocus on the natural world after months spent at home, drawing our attention back to the environmental emergency that has been made no less urgent by the tragedy of the pandemic, and highlighting a lesson from the year that has just ended: quite simply, that the world does not revolve around humans.

Starting with the rich set of covers, we chose not to offer a consoling and domestic image of natural life. Instead, our portrayal is as plural as possible. And when necessary it’s disquieting, sometimes even threatening. This issue of lambs and wolves, of panthers and mice challenges the illusion of an anthropocentric world, as in the moral fable on this issue and in the many reports and stories that unfold page after page. Animals do not exist for our purpose, nor as a function of what we would like them to be. It is almost too simple to stress how much we’ve been reminded of this by the effects of coronavirus, by the way it came into existence and how it has impacted our lives, freeing up spaces that wildlife has at least temporarily reclaimed for itself. And it seems almost too obvious that the fashion industry, like any other economic activity, must ask itself where the limits lie in the exploitation of natural resources, and what prospects are offered by technological progress.

After all, at this turning point in our age, it’s worth remembering that throughout history our efforts to understand and define ourselves as humans have always been closely bound to the way we see and depict animals – from rock carvings to ancient bestiaries, from the development of the arts and sciences to legends of every latitude and cabinets of curiosities, right down to the riot of puppies and fanciful digital creatures on social media. In our decisions affecting the future of the planet, animals will be the first and only judges called on to deliver the verdict.

As an age-old Asian proverb says, the true measure of a mountain’s greatness is not its height, but whether it is sufficiently enchanting to attract dragons

A new year, a new beginning—and a time to recommit to our values. Vogue believes in joy and optimism. We strive to live sustainably and advocate for independence, individuality, and creativity. We honor meaning and craft in fashion. We insist on inclusivity and respect—and will hold ourselves accountable to those ideals. We will endeavor every day to discover and support new talent. We believe in the power of communities and families of all kinds. Our work matters.

All the Editors-in-Chief, Vogue"
via vogue.it

Last edited:
Why are the suits allowing this to happen? Has Conde Nast Italia found their Glenda Bailey? THIS is not Vogue Italia. This is not fashion. Take your cravings for validation elsewhere. I am seriously appalled.

Before we discuss the purpose of an animal’s existence, can we at least focus on the purpose of your appointment and why this magazine exists in the first place? To exude glamour and sell clothes. I’m not seeing it.

I’m still blaming him for everything that happened in 2020. Everything started to go downhill when he released the no photoshoot issue.

The photographer who domesticated the ostrich, that's so cruel! Amazed that the Argentinian government allowed that.
This is an animal that absolutely must run in packs and need a lot of roaming space. Just because you found it doesn't mean you can keep it.

*Dialling WWF*

actually you are right.....”...and now lives in their garden...” wtf it’s not a 5 dollar bill you found on the street...all the “great” minds in VI didn’t think how problematic is the story behind this last cover?

And think how contradictory is the message...as well it was mentioned that his “love” for animals lesd him to show fur and leather last year...

At least be coherent Farneti...

Farneti: Animals do not exist for our purpose, nor as a function of what we would like them to be.
Also Farneti: *commissions photographer to shoot her domesticated wild ostrich pet*

Farneti: And it seems almost too obvious that the fashion industry, like any other economic activity, must ask itself where the limits lie in the exploitation of natural resources, and what prospects are offered by technological progress.

Let's see what brands will feature in ads and editorial

Wonder what fashion vegans like Stella and Sgura will make of this......

At last, a decent one from this mess. I luke the composition of that photo.

What a miss. Couldn't we get like Veruschka-esque animal photos?

We live in world where Vogue Taiwan is more fashion magazine than Vogue Italia...
Farneti doesn't understand fashion photograhy, his vision looks more as bad student project. They could use jewellery which recall animals and created interesting composition.

The Animal Issue? Wow, I'm appalled. Farneti is at least consistent in giving us the most horrendous covers the world has seen. This magazine has truly become a parody of itself.

The last one is really decent, there is a genuine feeling within it. What prevented him from going with this cover only, or using similar images where people and animals interact?

By the way, New York Times Magazine did a cover with a rhino, it looks really epic and serves its purpose.

So they're putting whatever on covers now and are like... yeah this beehive is lit, print it.

Also is that Berlusconi in one of the covers lol? Would be funny I guess but like... then he would have a genuine Vogue cover so no.

Ifrah Qaasim looks gorgeous. Wish her's was the only cover.

*Dialling WWF*
Argentinian president and his whole team are a bunch of a##holes.

I don't know how I end up here. Need to rest. Ferdinando and Farneti, stop f***** with Franca's legacy.

The one person who should sue VI is Meisel because he managed to make this magazine iconic for decades and someone random came and trashed all his achievements.

With France, he gave us fashion creativity, fun, glamour, etc. They did domestic violence, pollution, social media, war, rehab, plastic surgery, sci fi and so on with perfection.

^ Remember the January issues with Meisel's QVC presented by Joan, Natasha and Karlie (I actually didn't like that one initially), Querelle with Craig McDean and Templer or the atelier edit with Anais Mali and Freja from 2011? Damn, it wasn't that long ago :cry:!

This man cannot drag this magazine's legacy any further in the mud. It was funny initially, now, like everything else in the world, it makes me sad. Tragic and exploitative imagery, that's all this is.

Hopefully February's Pokémon issue with fierce Pikachu in Prada, March with toddlers in vintage Armani Privé by Mert and Marcus and April's portrait of Farneti (photographed by Raf Simons in a world exclusive, of course) won't be completely awful :rolleyes::P:rofl:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chikirin
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->