Vogue Italia March 2016 : Rianne van Rompaey by Steven Meisel

plastic makes them look more like Boldini portraits than Renaissance art

it's more fin de siècle than renaissance. the canvas filter is beyond annoying but i love when meisel does painting. reminds me of that s/s 2004 prada campaign.

btw, what's the name of that japanese (?) boy? he's gorgeous!

I like the styling. it makes the shapes of desired silhouettes without actually adding more clothes.

I always think good styling is obvious, when you can't believe the credits. Iran's black look is Roberto Cavalli and it looks amazing and totally fits the style, however completely different from the runway.

Im so bored of lazy stylists who just shoot things as was, or with no interest.

I agree. There´s a lifeless feel that looks too much like a painting... hell, there are paintings that look more lively than this. When Meisel used to shoot this type of pics they were more dinamic imo.

I know! ppl seem to be praising the model but I am not sure she really adds anything to the image. Ppl just think if you use a model that looks like a high fashion model anything arty is going to be a flawless success... I do think this image did not require much expression but her's is totally non-existent...

and talking of pretentiousness in styling... these plastic bags... really? I can't wait to see cool kids wearing them in East London now;-)))

I still quite like the editorial though... I guess after Kate and Mario's disaster I would like anything anyway... I just feel a bit sad how lifeless high fashion has become when it comes to photography...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people that overwhelmed by Meisel's return combined with Rianne to see this isn't a groundbreaking cover? Or do they honestly like it? Look, I think it's a great concept, I was going to trash the cover until I saw the story itself, but I like many of the shots. Still it's nothing jaw dropping at least to me.

I would like to know why they put the plastic in there, any guess?

The plastic bags is a styling element which gives an abstract illusion of formal, vintage style dressing. I think without this, the feature would've been way too stodgy and simple.

it's more fin de siècle than renaissance.

Now that I've seen the full feature, yes, definitely fin de siècle. More so than Belle Epoque. Especially towards the end with all the practical hairstyles and realist outfits.

Hey, guys, I think you are all so biased! The more I see the cover the more I think it is terrible! Rianne has an amazing face but she is still quite bad at modelling. She has no skills yet. She can't emote.

Call me crazy, and as much as I hate Annie, I think her arty-approach for the December issue with Jessica was way better! And there was a picture of her in a table that is the decent version of this cover. There is something in her eyes, some expression, some feelings... Yet here... And the layout!!! OMG, so terrible. The colors are terrible too.

And to me this looks nothing like Renaissance! I looks more Boldini-an to me. I think the plastic bags were used to create the blurry effects of those paitings, but maybe I'm overthinking.

is this the "plastic" issue? there are at least 3 editorials with plastic elements, what´s up with that? :blink:

Hey, guys, I think you are all so biased! The more I see the cover the more I think it is terrible! Rianne has an amazing face but she is still quite bad at modelling. She has no skills yet. She can't emote.

Call me crazy, and as much as I hate Annie, I think her arty-approach for the December issue with Jessica was way better! And there was a picture of her in a table that is the decent version of this cover. There is something in her eyes, some expression, some feelings... Yet here... And the layout!!! OMG, so terrible. The colors are terrible too.

And to me this looks nothing like Renaissance! I looks more Boldini-an to me. I think the plastic bags were used to create the blurry effects of those paitings, but maybe I'm overthinking.

Wow, it's really hard to please you biased on onther magazines thread :wink:

Are you talking about Kendall? Because Rianne has proven in multiple campaigns that she can emote and has skills. I don't see how someone can call her a model that has no skills and can't emote..
Just because you find it terrible doesn't mean the majority is biased or have to find this terrible to. I find her a great model and this is a great cover to me. Not the best, but it's great.

Without Borders
Photographer: Steven Meisel (B&W pics by Benn Northover)
Stylist: Olivier Rizzo
Models: Katlin Aas, Anna Cleveland, China Machado, Caitie Greene, Niels rispel,Kit Butler, Lorena Maraschi, Yasmin Wijnaldum, Ally Ertel, Erika Linder, Marc André Turgeon, Rianne von Rompaey
Make-up: Pat MatGrath
Hair: Guido

Vogue Italia 03/2016 Digital Edition

Certainly not the most creative work Meisel has produced, but still this is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! Avogadro!

Love Lorena and Yasmin in this. I wish Rianne would have more emotion, she is very photogenic but doesn't emote anything in her shots, blank canvas.

"Close-up"
photographer: David Dunan
fashion editor: Elisa Zaccanti
hair: Sebastien Richard
make-up: Karin Westerlund
models: Sofia Tesmenitskaya, Jess PW, Liza Ostanina, Chiara Mazzoleni

Vogue Italia digital edition

"Suggestions"
photographer: Ellen von Unwerth
fashion editor: Giulio Martinelli
hair: John Ruggiero
make-up: Lisa Storey
model: Jessica Stam

"Beauty"
photographer: Miles Aldridge
fashion editor: Cathy Kasterine
hair: Kerry Warn
make-up: Isamaya Ffrench
models: Amalie Schmidt, Mayka Merino, Emelie Fredengren, Charlotte Lindvig, Jay Wright, Klementyna Dmowska, Mari Agory

"Portrait Gallery"
photographer: Paolo Roversi
fashion editor: Robbie Spencer
hair: Yannick D'Is
make-up: Tom Pecheux
models: Tom Wells, Kiki Willems, Yasmin Wijnaldum, Odette Pavlova, Paul Hameline, Cecilie Moosgaard, Peyton Knight

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->