Vogue Italia vs French Vogue

I preffer Vogue Paris. Vogue Italia is very good as well, way better than Vogue US but actually I don't think I could decide on which one is better, I guess I just love both magazines. Both feature models on their covers and both are fashion forward. Most of the time I preffer the editorials in Vogue Paris because they're provocative and controversial also because Carine Roitfeld is such a good stylist and so is Emmanuelle Alt. If I had enough money I would subscribe to both magazines including Vogue Mexico. In my opinion Vogue Mexico is a bit better than Vogue America, they have eds from various magazines from around the world and they never feature a celebrety in their covers.

So this is my ranking...
1. Vogue Paris
2. Vogue Italia
3. Vogue Mexico

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally prefer Vogue Italia.

For the last couple of years, something about Vogue Paris has gotten very stale. It used to be a very beautiful magazine...interesting editorials, genius styling, great models, wonderful guest editor issues, etc. But recently, Vogue Paris has become incredibly formulaic. How many times do we need to see Daria in jeans? Natasha by Terry? Anja tanned and scantily clad? Enough, already. I have several back issues of Vogue Paris, most from 2005-2006. They're beautiful, beautiful magazines. I just don't really care much for the publication anymore. I haven't purchased a new issue in quite some time.

Vogue Italia, on the other hand, is just a great magazine. Even when Meisel misses the mark, at least there seems to be a genuine interest or pursuit in trying to do something interesting or provoking. And I like that Vogue Italia tends to be more about fashion photography as art, especially the covers and the cover stories.

In today preffer Vogue Paris

Most of the 2009 issues of VP totally rip apart the 09 issues of VI, but it's the opposite for 2010. So I guess it just depends for me, maybe next year it will switch back or balance out.

I'm probably reading too much VP but I adore Vogue Italia even if my italian is too bad! I didn't like any edition of VP this year and this is why I will not renew my subscription but I keep hoping that next year might be better!
Also, I prefer VP to Vogue US ... I spend more than 8€ each time for nothing!

Both publications have been lackluster throughout this year. Besides VI's August issue, I can't really even recall any of VP's or VI's covers this year, though previous years I had a mental frame for all the covers and most editorials.

VI's September issue hasn't come out yet, But Vogue Paris issue fell flat on its face. People complain of Vogue USA but VP has it's own sort of redundancy that is wearing thin with me now.

My French is better than my Italian, but for sure, Italian Vogue is doing better under its Editor in Chief in terms of taking risks. Vogue Paris has settled into a formula - body con, "nipple shock", vaguely Helmut Newton/Guy Boudain S/M photography but with none of the intelligence, razor sharp wit or graphic impact, plus all the staff there look like clones of Carine Roitfeld. I used to like French Vogue more but it has grown tired. Otoh, Italian Vogue has slowly changed for the better, and the current pendulum swing back to richer prints, textures, and colors etc. fits its style even better.

Je suis d'accord

My French is better than my Italian, but for sure, Italian Vogue is doing better under its Editor in Chief in terms of taking risks. Vogue Paris has settled into a formula - body con, "nipple shock", vaguely Helmut Newton/Guy Boudain S/M photography but with none of the intelligence, razor sharp wit or graphic impact, plus all the staff there look like clones of Carine Roitfeld. I used to like French Vogue more but it has grown tired. Otoh, Italian Vogue has slowly changed for the better, and the current pendulum swing back to richer prints, textures, and colors etc. fits its style even better.

I completely agree with you. Even if the Italian is too baroque lately, it offers a greater variety.

I prefer French Vogue editorials and Vogue Italia covers. since you are looking for content I'd say VP :smile:

French Vogue, I love Carine and Emmanuelle!! Although Italian Vogue has more creative eds.. Meisel is a beast behind the lens!!

...I am working in Italian, a language that is only spoken in Italy. I mean, people don’t even speak Italian in Brooklyn anymore. It’s only spoken here, which is a bit restricting. If you’re lucky enough to speak English, well, then you can communicate with the whole world, from China to India … I can only speak to Italians. That’s it. So the only way we could speak to everyone was through images, and that’s why I gave photography so much more space than words. Also, if you want an image that speaks to everyone, it has to be impossible to ignore. It has to be much, much more extreme than the normal boring images that everyone is used to. I think that’s what led to the explosion of Vogue Italia....
Franca Sozzani via COS Magazine

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->