Vogue Paris June/July 2015 : Daria Werbowy by David Sims

I used to be a big fan of Emmanuelle's, but now I feel like she needs to be fired. There isn't a creative bone in her body. I understand loving masculine clothing. I understand preferring '80s style. What makes her such a terrible EIC is that she can't separate her work from her personal preferences. She does a shoot on the Amalfi coast and doesn't even pick clothes that go with the beautiful Italian scenery. She could've done that same shoot at a studio in London and she would've achieved the same result.

I've never been a fan of hers, but I feel exactly the same. She's a great stylist, but a terrible editor in chief. Daria's editorial is an absolute waste of money. What also bothers me about the content is how second rate it is, especially for a dual month issue. Doutzen's edit was stretched from something already published. Mica's one is so tacky it really belongs in American Harper's Bazaar, and styling in Edita's shoot is so cheap even Cosmo would scoff at it. There's nothing progressive here. This is Vogue Paris, for Chrissake, not some global Elle edition!! People will say VP is selling well under Alt in France, but the magazine is slowly losing it's position as one of the most influential titles in the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, what an insipid issue, even more offensive when you realize its a double summer issue. So glum, and uninspired, depressing really!

Another lacklustre issue, Vogue Paris is becoming more land more like US Vogue, uninspiring and safe. Paolo Roversi's 'Nouvelle Vague' just about saves it.

Terry Richardson's story takes me back the ones he used to do with Alt way back when with the likes of Carmen Kass and Anna Selezneva.

I can never look at Terry's edits for VP again. It's got a particular style, but I'm constantly reminded of the obscenity which was scribbled acrossed one of Carmen's shots by that vile Olivier Zahm. Makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes of a Richardson shoot.

i got this today

i love the denim pouch that comes with it, it's cute!

the issue...well the cover is the best part. i am so ashamed they still allow richardson to shoot for them though. eugh.

I wouldn't mind a tame issue for summer, as long as the editorials suited the season. Perhaps a story of a wanderer in a secret location, or a romance against the backdrop of an impressive landscape. Summer is about looking great, and going on holiday, discovering all sorts of places. Tell those stories, not some dull Richardson editorial or Daria looking 'stripped down' again.

I'm paying good money for this magazine, so if imagination isn't on the fashion menu, then bring me some good production values, at the very least. But they didn't even make the most of a great-looking girl like Doutzen, when shot on a beautiful beach.

if its doing good in France in terms of sales, how come it's no influential....mean ppl in the industry? im asking cause i want to know if it exits actually critics to this magazine beside this forum....

if its doing good in France in terms of sales, how come it's no influential....mean ppl in the industry? im asking cause i want to know if it exits actually critics to this magazine beside this forum....

What do you mean by no influential?

Having said that, is it just me who's noticing that all beach editorials of recent times (from various magazines) are styled like it's a shoot from the 80s/90s.... Oh god. Especially when I look at the Elle worldwide and Bazaar worldwide threads and all their beach shoots are starting to look like the ones Alt produces.

Let me correct that^ I didn't mean all, but some editorials from recent times look the same. I mean they're being shot by Hans Feurer, Gilles ++ but I'm so sure they could've easily made it to look like something else. I don't know if this is the "style" of the photographers because I've seen them take on editorials with a modern take. So I'm guessing these editorials are mostly the direction of how the editors wanted it to be. They could obviously do a beach shoot with a modern direction.

Case in point:
image.png

photocouture-show

These could easily be straight from the pages of VP styled be Géraldine.

I think I understand your question. Probably the reason it sells in France means that French readers actually like what they're doing? I dont think VP is that influential among fashion insiders. At least, not like they used to be. They no longer have that commanding fashion forward presence. And this is perhaps why foreign sales are down.

Let me correct that^ I didn't mean all, but some editorials from recent times look the same. I mean they're being shot by Hans Feurer, Gilles ++ but I'm so sure they could've easily made it to look like something else. I don't know if this is the "style" of the photographers because I've seen them take on editorials with a modern take. So I'm guessing these editorials are mostly the direction of how the editors wanted it to be. They could obviously do a beach shoot with a modern direction.

These could easily be straight from the pages of VP styled be Géraldine.

This 80's girl, running on the beach or in the water is essentially very Feurer and/or Bensimon. But it does seem to be the current aesthetic for swimwear editorials in general right now. Of course Bensimon and Feurer do not style these shoots so this tells me that from the outset the editors we're aiming for this type of vintage vibe. And it's obviously much easier to achieve when you book a photographer who specializes in this vintage style.

SO GLOOMY. This magazine put me in a blue mood. WOW.

The styling is just awful in every ed. I wish that Terry ed would have never seen the light. What an eyesore. :ninja:

Edita's ed belongs to Elle. Roversi's and Sim's are the definition of boring.

I can't stand this magazine...

Mica Arganaraz by Terry Richardson

'Vive Allure'
in HQ

photocouture-show.com

I think I understand your question. Probably the reason it sells in France means that French readers actually like what they're doing? I dont think VP is that influential among fashion insiders. At least, not like they used to be. They no longer have that commanding fashion forward presence. And this is perhaps why foreign sales are down.

This 80's girl, running on the beach or in the water is essentially very Feurer and/or Bensimon. But it does seem to be the current aesthetic for swimwear editorials in general right now. Of course Bensimon and Feurer do not style these shoots so this tells me that from the outset the editors we're aiming for this type of vintage vibe. And it's obviously much easier to achieve when you book a photographer who specializes in this vintage style.

But my question is that did VP start/revive this trend? Before ALT started, I haven't seen much of this kind of editorials, and now they're everywhere! So I'm thinking that maybe VP influenced the return of the 80s girl. Or maybe I haven't been paying that much of attention to other magazines, but I swear since they started that Feurer x 80s thing.. it seemed to have been popping on other magazines. So with that said, I think VP still has a bit of influence in the industry.. but in the end, what magazine still has an influence?

Merci Benn,that's what i meant....:smile:

Alt need to push a little bit more and i think i like Keller in Self Service..(hope this magazine won't suffer her absence)

the problem with me, i realise, is the styling...vp used to make me think about how i dressed and how i could be cooler, do something different, these days it's soooo dull and too many b&w pictures

But my question is that did VP start/revive this trend? Before ALT started, I haven't seen much of this kind of editorials, and now they're everywhere! So I'm thinking that maybe VP influenced the return of the 80s girl. Or maybe I haven't been paying that much of attention to other magazines, but I swear since they started that Feurer x 80s thing.. it seemed to have been popping on other magazines. So with that said, I think VP still has a bit of influence in the industry.. but in the end, what magazine still has an influence?

Yes, I suppose they did. Because VP brought Feurer and Bensimon out of retirement in 2011. Both has since moved on to other magazines and that is where we are now. Alt may be credited with reviving this 80's outdoor photography trend, but my problem is that she's not expanding on anything else. What is quintessentially VP nowadays? We are not seeing anything progressive. Month after month you can be certain there will be at least 70's/80's editorial. Time to move on perhaps!!

Yes, I suppose they did. Because VP brought Feurer and Bensimon out of retirement in 2011. Both has since moved on to other magazines and that is where we are now. Alt may be credited with reviving this 80's outdoor photography trend, but my problem is that she's not expanding on anything else. What is quintessentially VP nowadays? We are not seeing anything progressive. Month after month you can be certain there will be at least 70's/80's editorial. Time to move on perhaps!!

This!! 100% this! I mean I see that she's fascinated by the 80s/90s whatever but what's wrong is that her take on the era is one-dimensional. I mean I wouldn't mind seeing the same theme month after month if there's some concept behind it. She's fascinated by a DECADE/DECADES and yet she only produces a segment of it... Heck give me a Grease kind of editorial and I'd gladly take it. That may be an old concept but at least it's not as tired as the biker chic posing on her motorcycle / girl jumping outdoors with blurred background. I understand why she's fascinated with those eras because, indeed, those were beautiful times! BUT, I don't understand why she can't create something that's inspired with it. How about an editorial with a story? Also, the eras she's so obsessed with is known for the pop in colors and yet here we are month after month of black and white editorials... I'm sick of these beach editorials that always look the same. Give me Grease. Give me 80s aerobics. Give me the groupies. Give me the 70s/80s/90s working girl. Give me my Valley Girls. Give me my hippies. Give me that 70s/80s/90s Parisian love story. Give me Dirty Dancing. Give me 70s-90s s*x. +++ There are so many ideas to play with that relates to her fascination. The 70s-90s isn't just about beach shoots and studio shoots. We get that she doesn't want to move on but at least she should give us something we could work with! If you're taking on an era, take it with your 100%! Don't play safe and rehash something that worked way back in 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->