What to wear to prom or homecoming

thats a beauuuuutiful dress! That was my favorite from his spring 2004 collection. i would say maybe just some nice earrings...chandalier perhaps nothing too gaudy or flashy...do it like like Nicole Kidman at the 2003 Golden Globes in the YSL Rive Gauche dress...maybe not those exact earrings but how she kept it simple and only accessorized with a larger pair of earrings.

I agree with just chandelier earrings, just to compliment the dress, but not enough to take the attention away from your outfit.

As for make-up I don't know if you like natural or funky make-up so I'll go for something between....

The "golden smoky eye" is one of the hottest things right now. Blend into a dark brown some golds and even bronzes and it is quite dramatic for prom, but not overly like how sometimes black smoky eye can end up. Plus, these are colors that any skintone will go well with. It really compliments peoples eye features really well.

Here's some subtle smokies
secret2_2PIC.jpg
catwalkoct05.jpg
eyeshadow_02.jpg
eyeshadow_03.jpg

Stunning dress!!! Definitely keep the accessories simple, the dress is strong enough a statement!

Personally I prefer natural makeup and hair. Go for that no fuss, effortlessly glam look :wink:

Originally posted by HBoogie@Mar 30th, 2004 - 5:16 pm
I agree that you should add a ribbon or bow. Beading or lace would probably look too "bridal" on that dress.
Yeah..also the ribbon would give it more of a old style flair...if you wanna put some lace, just do very minimal and same with beads..HBoogie is right when they said it'll be like a bridal gown since its white..

Hi! I'm very new to the forum, so I thought I might invite you to check out my huge collection of chandelier earrings ... (link in signature).
I agree chandelier earrings will look great with that outfit!

I would say gold high heeled strapy sandals, simply earings , and nic elong thin necklace ( may be small pearls of a thin chain)

Sorry to start another prom thread, but I need help... :innocent:

I was just asked to the senior prom, which is in about two weeks. Luckily, I have a dress because I just went thrift/vintage shopping and picked up a beautiful vintage wedding dress ($25! :woot: ). It's long and cream-colored with lace at the bottom of an otherwise plain skirt (not full, but with subtle pleats--not bad ones--going out from the waist). The top is plain like the skirt except that it is covered by another sort of lace top that also forms the sleeves. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's beautiful. The sleeves go to just above my elbows, but I'm going to have them cut shorter to make it a bit more youthful.

What a bad description, so sorry.

So here's the problem: How do I keep from looking like a bride in this dress? :unsure: It's not obvious that it's a wedding dress or anything, but if I'm not careful I could end up looking like I'm about to get married! My mom suggested using a colorful shawl instead of the stole that it came with (which is beautiful, so I'm sorry), but I wondered what you guys might suggest.

I also don't know what to do with my hair. If you've ever seen Bend It Like Beckham, my hair is similar to Keira Knightley's hair as Jules. Should I just wear it as is? I thought about curling it, but that was when I realized that I would look like a bride.

Jewelry suggestions? The neckline goes up to the bottom of my neck, so I can't really wear a necklace. My mom suggested pearl studs, but I'm not sure. I like the idea of pearls, though, and I would add a matching pearl bracelet. Hrm...

Shoes are taken care of (hard to see them anyway because the dress is long--they're pretty plain). What do you think about makeup? I don't use much even when dressed up.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help. I know that I'm worrying too much about this, but that's half the fun--right? :rolleyes:

Also, no pictures because I have neither scanner nor digital camera. Plus I'm paranoid. :P

From what I saw of the pictures from the junior prom at my school this year, most of the girls had white dresses. Because yours is more of a cream I wouldn't worry so much about looking like a bride. you might consider adding a light green or pink ribbon at the waist line? This may be too busy looking though with the lace. I like your mother's idea about the colorful shawl. Or maybe a pink stole? I think they have some on that Windsor online store....but I'm not sure if you could get it shipped in time?

Hair wise, I face the same dilemna as you. My hair is pretty much the same as hers, and well, I'm guessing yours. Curling would be elegant but I"m not sure how well that would work depending on the severity of the ends of your hair. I'd get it done at a salon and see what they think.

Jewelery-wise, I think pearls are right on target. And what about a choker?

I understand what you mean about looking like a bride, but I think as long as you don't have a huge veil and a big rock on your finger, it won't be a big issue. Get a wrist corsage, this'll help as well.

If you're feeling brave, how about embracing the whole bride thing, but twisting it. Going Gothic Lolita with dark eyeshadow and black nailpolish and maybe even adding some black ribbon, around your neck even... I'm off to find some pictures of what I mean. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but since we seem to have fairly similar taste, I thought it might work for you. Anyway, we'll see. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->