When Did You Start Wearing Makeup?

I grew up one house away from one of the two men who founded Wet 'N Wild. The days that they had sample products or spares to give out were pretty exciting - I was around 5 or 6 years old. Receiving a little 99 cent nail polish from Larry was like getting a Christmas present in May.

Combine that with countless times of sitting on the side of the bath tub watching my mother apply her own makeup (classic pink-tubed Maybelline Great Lash, liquid eye liner and that frosty light, light pink of the '70's), and I was hooked.

I think I wore nailpolish at 5, lipgloss at 10; eye shadow/mascara at 12. Full on face at 14 (while admiring the album cover of the 80's hair band Poison!). Doing other peoples makeup at 16. I won't even get into the fashion train wreck that was Long Island big hair in the late '80's. :wink:

Makeup has always been a thing of empowerment to me. To be able to transform your face in a variety of ways; build confidence by fixing one's "problem area"; or feel ultra sexy with a smoky eye or luscious lip.

I love(d) it so much that I've now incorporated even more completely into my life by making it my career.

I :heart: Makeup!

Laura

^
I have obsession with the cear gloss from that company. Way better than MACs even.

early 20s. I always loved to play with it when I was a teen but was always scared my face was gonna break out

My parents were strict about make-up, too, as other's have said. I used to sneak my sister's makeup when I was about 12, 13. I was finally able to start wearing it openly at about 14. Learned to apply by trial and error. Never really got a formal lesson until I was older and went to a make-up counter...

i went to a private girls school and we weren't allowed to wear jewellery, too much makeup, etc....i think about 15 i started to wear eyeliner out to the movies and parties with my friends, but that was probably the extent of it...

then at 18 i started to wear a good foundation & concealer... i still wear these two everyday to this day...and a little mascara and a good lip balm.... some days i throw in a little pencil liner but leave the heavy liquid stuff for the evenings.. i don't have the worlds greatest skin at the moment, so foundation & concealer became a must for me as soon as i got out of school and started to care about my face lol

i started wearing makeup when i was 8 years old i think its great i dont go any where with out my lipstick

About the time I got my first period, my mother used to MAKE me wear makeup - which is probably why I hated it until I was about 18. It still happens to this day, but when I get "it" my whole face drains of color and life. :sick: At least now I know how to counteract that effect with makeup!!!

At 8 or 9 I started singing in school productions, but that was just silly stage make-up for a couple of nights a year, so guess that doesn't count. Was thrilled despite the fact that the teacher/"make up artist" had no idea what she was doing. lol
When I turned 16 my mom let me start wearing mascara and lip gloss for real on weekends. :smile: At 18 she brought me to the Clinique counter and got me a whole set of make up, foundation and everything. Such fun my friends and I had experimenting with eyeliner, eyeshadow and blush! We looked ridiculous in the resulting pictures but it was great!

Well I used to ‘borrow’ my mum’s make up when I was of 8 or 9.But it wasn’t until the age of 14 that I started wearing it regularly

I dont know id guess 8-9 properly i mean im not being vain when i say im so good with makeup and i always have been i was buying chanel and dior stuff at 9 i really cant stand cheapy makeup it makes you look worse!

Started wearing nail polish since I was soo little... playing with mum's makeup since I was so young as well..... can't really remember. Started wearing bits of foundation/concealer when I was 14.. started wearing lipstick/glosses/eyeliner/mascara since I was 15.. but now I usually only wear concealer/eye shadow/powder/lipstick.. can't really work out the eyeliner techniques! ( and I think it's too heavy to wear to school )

Like many of you I was also 14. That was mascara and eyeliner....fun fun fun :smile:

12 i started TRYING make-up

13 wore a bit
now im 14...meh i dont like it i deteste foundation and only put white eyeshadow just under my eyebrows the lift my eyes. concealer on evil red pimples and thats about it.

im still young (and younger at heart:wink: ) i don't think ill get serious untill im 17 or 18

see i try to make my skin good enough to go bare which at 14 it usually is so MEH hehe

well if your skin is nice enough not to need to wear foundation, then I would definitelly stay off it !! YEP!! But mascara...I think it's a must and a minimum, it brings out the beauty of eyes

mm mascaras good..i got my eyelashes tinted and that worked..mine are actualy quite long:blink: but just pale

I started to wear mascara and some eyeshadow when I was 15, but was too lazy to wear it daily.

I don't usually do makeup on a daily basis. Sometimes I will wear lipstick, or eyeliner, or mascara, but I never do a full face-full. I ride my bike to work, so it would be all smudgy with sweat if I did it before I left the house, and I don't usually budget for enough time to really primp it up in the ladies restroom at my work, either.

I can't ever seem to find concealer/base makup that matches my skin, and anyway, even if my skintone is even, you can still see the zits sticking up. My complexion is AWFUL.

I never thought about nail polish as makeup, but I have been using that since I was about 11. Back then it was only a Wet-N-Wild polish that was mostly clear, with a subtle opalescence. I still love that one, but I also do bright, wild colors, glitter, you name it. Good taste is not a big concern for me. Right now I have on shocking pink with irridescent glitter over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember I was around 14 when i first started wearing make up properly. I used to get up a bit earlier before school and make some effort to put on concealer. Then when i was a bit older, say 15, I started to wear mascara everyday as well and applying blusher. I dont know why I was so vain to wear make up to school..because hardly any of my friends did!

ive been wearing makeup problerly since the start of senior skool,so i was about 12.I dont really wear alot of makeup,i wear make up to school but i just wear foundation to make my skin luk a bit better and eyeliner,sometimes eye shadow.I dont really wear anyother makeup,apart from lipgloss,that is a must!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"