Working in Paris

Paris is suffering as much as any other Western capital city right now. There may be ten million people living in Paris and its extended suburbs but only a small proportion of them frequent the top bracket of fashion stores.

It's not all doom and gloom, of course. But it is fair to say that when Paris stores are hiring, the pecking order begins with French nationals, moving through EU nationals from NW Europe to those from the more civilised parts of Eastern and Southern Europe to white people from the rest of the world. Good-looking Blacks, Asians and Arabs have a chance but the Ace card is sometimes dealt by good-looking boys and girls who are prepared to go that extra distance with the store owner or manager to get the job. In some cases, a special relationship with a designer whose clothes are sold through the store helps. Of course, this isn't a Paris thing. It's the same the world over.

Regarding assisting, it usually doesn't pay. You might be lucky to get a sandwich and a can of fizz if the 'creative' whom you're assisting isn't pathologically tight-fisted but there are legions of rich kids lining up for such jobs so that they tell mummy and daddy that they're working. I have known upwardly-mobile photographers and stylists to sponge off their moneyed gofers and to touch them for loans...which never get repaid. It's like internships at fashion houses, magazines and so on. The flip side of this system, on the other hand, is that those of you born without trust funds who actually make it past the first interview - on merit rather than your knees or your backs - probably have the charm, talent and drive to make a go of it. The same goes for the trust fund kids who last more than a couple of seasons. So, oddly enough, this dreadfully unfair, loaded system actually functions as quite an effective natural selection process, despite itself.

If you want it enough, you'll just get your working papers, get on a plane and go there. It'll be tough but if it wasn't tough, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. As for money, do what most of us had to do: work in bars, nightclubs, on building sites etc etc to finance your apprenticeships. This also helps you learn the local language.

PK

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my EU passport is NW european...white, tall, well built, speak Russian, Italian, French, basic Mandarin, will be learning basic Arabic at the sorbonne

what's assisting? to be clear, i'm only interested in being a sales associate; dont think i'm cut out for actual fashion house intern type jobs

do you know what a sales associate at Les Galeries Lafayette or Gucci or whatever could earn?

^what is exactly a sale associate ? to me it's a cashier .......
so .....

i think in paris the ones who pay good are Prada (abt 1500-1800 euros - that's what i heard once) .... at Galeries Lafayette, you would earn the minimum (let's say 1200 euros - the rent of an appt. is abt 700-800 euros for a small 1 piece appt.) ....
if you're white and tall and good looking, you have all yr chance to work in a shop (as underlined Prosper ... non-white looking ppl have less chance. this is sad, but this is true) ...
you should also try A.A. or Uniqlo or COS - the fact you speak so many languages is a chance ....

as you're here to work, never forget in France most job ad never say the real pay (salaire net) but the pay before they take away all the taxes (salaire brut).
for instance, a 1500 euros salaire brut, would do a 1100 euros salaire net (your real pay) ....

Berlin .... in the US ... "sales associate" can mean a cashier or a sales person/salesclerk in a retail shop ... or both. Hot doesn't show where he's from ... so I don't know if that is what he means or not ... butr it proably is what he's talking about.

Hot ... the remark about assisting is for other types of fashion jobs ( see posts above yours, in this thread) ... assisting in a fashion house, for a stylist, for a magazine, for a publicist or something like that. It's not a retail thing.

yeah, in the US sales associate (at least it's what i'm called) is the person who shows the customer the merchandise, recommends styles, fits etc, actually sells the customer on the clothes

so your quote of 1500-1800 euros is for cashiers? (meaning those that ring in the purchases). At my job here i earn a small base salary then like 3-5.5% commission on what i sell. What i'm looking for is if this is the basic structure in Parisian stores? My assumption-never having worked in a one label boutique-is that working in a department store (le grand magasin if you're not familiar with the term) one can earn more money on a compensation structure; or am i wrong?

as far as apartments, i've looked on some sites and the ones that are 700-800 euros are just too small for me. Cheapest i've seen as what i could live with is about 1500 euros (40-50 square meters or so)

ok so what you describe makes no difference in France.

i don't wanna say stupid things as i'm not a SA ... but sincerely, the cashier are considered the same than SA .....

you have high will for living in Paris with the job you want. you won't make it.
don't wanna sound harsch .... but that's true .....
with this rent and yr salary you'll need a roomate ! i'm sincere !

about the commissions, of course there is .... it depends the shop !!!!

don't forget in France we have the 35hrs a week, that most of the time those jobs are paid a little more than minimum pay (1000 euros) .......

check there :
http://fr.fashionjobs.com/jobs/index.php
but i've looked some stuff and they don't put the salary .....

in France, your job is called "vendeur" or "conseiller vente", non ?

why don't you consider another town in France ?
Bordeaux ? Toulouse ? Lille ? Lyon ? Marseille ?

i've done some search onto google.
for the galeries lafayette i found nothing.
a "normal" salary in paris is abt 1600 euros (for yr job !!!) ... you can go til 2000 euros.
(i'm sure if you have enough years of experience you can ask for +/- 2000 euros).

you have to find a smaller appt.
500 euros won't be enough to live !!! you need to get out of yr appt. and eat and drink and buy clothes etc.

so is 1600 euros the base salary then you also receive commission? because here, commission is where we make our money. My monthly salary is only about $1200 but with commission it generally comes to around $5000 or $6000. If Paris stores offer commission i cant imagine it being less...

as far as another city...if i'm going to France, i'm going to Paris. I'll work tutoring english or something on the side...

This may be kind of strange, but are there any websites that list jobs in Paris from American companies? I guess they don't necessarily have to be American, but just more of the "major" fashion players/houses/companies that would be international and willing to hire Americans? I would absolutely looove to live and work in Paris but I have no idea how to do it. Right now I am getting my masters in fashion merchandising and will have to start looking for a job in about 1.5-2 years. I am 25 years old, and like I said, getting my masters so unfortunately I don't have time to play around, intern, or just see what happens. I need an actual job and to start my career (I'm going to have student loans to pay back pretty soon lol).

^you'll never make this !!!!! sorry !
you'll have to come to paris for something else, then !

where are you from ?! where do you work ?!

i do understand that you wanna come to Paris but think about the other cities. have you ever been to France bfore ? I guess, if you are EUROPE citizen ....

If you tutor english class you can get some extras money (you can ask at least, i think, 15 euros an hour in good areas).

Be more xplicit why you wanna come to Paris ? Please !
Is it to live the "parisian dream" ? forget it

You'll never make even 4000 euros as a SA .... You'll have to candidate for manager/director to get that ....
If you have +3yrs of experiences, have already been a manager, and speak FLUENTLY french you can try ... I think.

read this :
It's next to impossible to live in Paris without legal documents. You can't rent an apartment without a French bank account and insurance, and they're not going to give either of those things to you without seeing your passport.

I don't been to be a buzzkill, but anyone who thinks of moving to the city of lights REALLY needs to push romantic dreams aside and think about it realistically. If you don't have an EU passport, a working visa or a direct job offer you should really re-evaluate.

Living expenses are through the roof compared to North America, not as crazy as London but you wouldn't believe how fast those American dollars disappear as Euros. And if you don't speak a word of French it's very difficult. You can't expect people to be speaking English in the land of - well, French! Don't underestimate how lonely it can feel leaving behind your friends/ family/ comfort zone for a culture you don't understand (it's not all baguettes and Chanel!) and being an immigrant.

It's a beautiful city to visit but it's not for everyone to live there. If you are going to make the leap, talk to your embassy and see what your options are. Legal is the way to go

oh and i wanted to add ...
now more and more, the owners of appt. and real estate agents say you MUST earn 3x the rent of your appt.
ie if you want a 1500 euros appt., you'll have to earn at least 4500 euros !

Hot, i've some done some new searchs .... coz I thought I was harsch ....

so if you want to work in stores like Galeries Lafayette, Bon Marché, Printemps, you'll never get more than 2000 euros (even with commissions) !

you should try Colette (pretty hard to get hired, there !) or Prada, Gucci, Dolce etc. to earn a little more. but BE AWARE you'll never make your current salary ! NEVER as a SA (which is the same than cashier, here !) ....

to tell you a little about the situation here .... not to lose their 13th month (ie you have approx. yr monthly salary + your dec. salary in one - which is good !), the employees @ Bon Marché go to work eventhough they are affected by the swine flu ..........

is it possible to get a job as a vendeusse in one of these high-end shops if I dont have any experience in this field?

If you're really pretty and classy, yes ^^

:smile:)) thanks for a very sincere answer! i'll have to work more on that... :wink:
in fact more and more I see that everything is based on the looks, on the personality... your knowledge is getting to the second place

it is, send a CV with a nice picture of you.
For the interview wear something classy yet sexy. walk good.
that's worth more than any other skills (unfortunately maybe)

in fact I want to come to work to Paris, though I live in lithuania now. i'm thinking now if it's worth going there without having anything and willing to find a job there. i'm a bit scared to do that. but on the other hand, I think it would be a miracle to get a job via internet.
though I'm coming to paris for holidays in the middle of january, so i'd be happy to get some interviews for that period..

by the way, I suppose my french has to be perfect? I can speak, but ti's not perfect. I have lived in france for half a year, so I have learnt it, but as I'm not using it now, I have forgotten a lot.. i'm studying again now, at home..

by the way, I suppose my french has to be perfect? I can speak, but ti's not perfect. I have lived in france for half a year, so I have learnt it, but as I'm not using it now, I have forgotten a lot.. i'm studying again now, at home..

to be honest, french people likes salesperson to speak french indeed ^^
but a nice accent is never a bad thing

^you'll never make this !!!!! sorry !
you'll have to come to paris for something else, then !

where are you from ?! where do you work ?!

i do understand that you wanna come to Paris but think about the other cities. have you ever been to France bfore ? I guess, if you are EUROPE citizen ....

If you tutor english class you can get some extras money (you can ask at least, i think, 15 euros an hour in good areas).

Be more xplicit why you wanna come to Paris ? Please !
Is it to live the "parisian dream" ? forget it

You'll never make even 4000 euros as a SA .... You'll have to candidate for manager/director to get that ....
If you have +3yrs of experiences, have already been a manager, and speak FLUENTLY french you can try ... I think.

read this :

oh and i wanted to add ...
now more and more, the owners of appt. and real estate agents say you MUST earn 3x the rent of your appt.
ie if you want a 1500 euros appt., you'll have to earn at least 4500 euros !

see this is the main reason why i ask:

to make what i do, i basically only have to sell about $650 per hour which isnt really hard in high end retail, and my city is only about 1.5 million people. What are the reasons this isnt how it would be in Paris
I cant imagine how i would sell less...

I am coming to Paris to study french at the sorbonne. By the time i get there i will be at intermediate level and i pick up languages fast, so i figure i will be able to work in a french store.

if the cost of living is so high, dont the salaries have to somewhat match that

do you know if they make commission (my question mark button isnt working, sorry)

do you know for a fact, either from you or someone you know working at one of these stores, that the salary plus commission wont be that much money

Hot, i've some done some new searchs .... coz I thought I was harsch ....

so if you want to work in stores like Galeries Lafayette, Bon Marché, Printemps, you'll never get more than 2000 euros (even with commissions) !

you should try Colette (pretty hard to get hired, there !) or Prada, Gucci, Dolce etc. to earn a little more. but BE AWARE you'll never make your current salary ! NEVER as a SA (which is the same than cashier, here !) ....

to tell you a little about the situation here .... not to lose their 13th month (ie you have approx. yr monthly salary + your dec. salary in one - which is good !), the employees @ Bon Marché go to work eventhough they are affected by the swine flu ..........

never more than 2000euros...dont the people have to wear the clothes they sell-how is it possible with 2000 euros per month?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->