Yohji Yamamoto F/W 1994.95 Paris

I was checking back on his thread here and I found a WWD interview that caught my attention, particularly this one question:
wwd: the most unforgettable collections ?

YY: SS1999, FW1994, and SS1995

I realized that although Spring 1999 is probably his most well known show, most members probably don't know about Fall 1994 and Spring 1995 and why these two stand out from his work until then. Those two collections were the first ones in which Yohji intentionally set out to reference traditional japanese motifs and silhouettes, before that he always insisted that such things weren't relevant to his creative output and that his clothes came from a global point of view.

As you can appreciate in the pictures, the show is based around the layering of a kimono but reimagined in a sort of grunge style, the hem of the knits is left unfinished for example. Both of the shows I've mentioned were held at a domed amphitheatre within La Sorbonne and were set to a Japanese soundtrack.

Worth noting that starting from 1995, he started focusing his attention on giving his own spin to european fashion of the late 19th century and 20th century, more particularly the work of the great couturiers.

This was the show invite:
WH16HknY_t.jpg

I love how you described this "the kimoni re-imagined as more of a grunge style". Such an accurate description of an incredible collection.

Do you happen to have any other pictures from this show? I believe I have a piece that is shown above--it's a silk robe with kimono vibes. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->