Your Most Memorable Magazine Images

US VANITY FAIR AUGUST 1991
Demi Moore
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz

source | pdn

Vanity Fair’s provocative cover shot of the naked and hugely pregnant Demi Moore projected the actress to even greater heights after the huge success of the movie Ghost the previous year. The cover helped firmly establish Moore as a member of Hollywood’s A-List at the time.

HARPER'S BAZAAR SEPTEMBER 1992
Creative Director: Fabien Baron
Model: Linda Evangelista
Hair: Garren
Makeup: Laura Mercier
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier

source | hfgl & scanned by MMA

The first issue of Harper's Bazaar under the direction of legendary Editor-in-Chief Liz Tilberis heralded one of the most dramatic magazine reinventions in history. Tilberis and Creative Director Fabien Baron helped transform Harper's Bazaar from an also-ran fashion magazine into the one of the most cutting-edge and experimental of the big fashion glossies illustrated by the creative typeface and avant-garde image of Linda Evangelista on the September cover.

^That's what immediately came to mind^_^

HARPER'S BAZAAR APRIL 1965
Art Directors: Ruth Ansel & Bea Feitler
Designer: Ansel
Model: Jean Shrimpton
Photographer: Richard Avedon

source | vintagemagazines

This cover of Harper's Bazaar with Jean Shrimpton peering from behind a bright pink Day-Glo space helmet and the Harper's Bazaar logo vibrating against it in acid green has been often reproduced as an emblem of the sixties.

^^^Yes I really do betty_s :lol:

All I can say MMA about your magazine ownership... wow...
I'm impressed and a little envious about how much space you must have, virtually impossible in NYC with the space restrictions!

sorry, I am off topic.. won't say anymore about MMA's probably enormous collection.

On the subject though, I very much remember that cover and it was very alive and fresh and yes very different from old Vogue covers. Iconic though? HMM, I would think iconic to us fashion fans is very different from what iconic means to the average person who has no idea who Anna Wintour or Marc Jacobs are.

Betty

On the subject though, I very much remember that cover and it was very alive and fresh and yes very different from old Vogue covers. Iconic though? HMM, I would think iconic to us fashion fans is very different from what iconic means to the average person who has no idea who Anna Wintour or Marc Jacobs are.

Betty

Yes... you are quite right Betty... what is iconic to us fashion fans is very different than the average person. Some of the most iconic magazine images are not fashion at all... but highly politically charged images that we couldn't post here. So we will post what we would consider iconic in the world of fashion & celebrity... there are plenty through the years... and hopefuly this thread will become a place for members to share & learn... which is what tFS is all about!

:flower:

MAINBOCHER CORSET
Vogue Paris Studio 1939
Photographer: Horst P. Horst

In this image Horst captured the poignant vulnerability of a woman undressing. Taken just before leaving Europe to escape World War II, Horst's photograph of the removal of a corset reveals female beauty from a different perspective that is nonetheless full of grace and elegance. Designers still find inspiration in this image for their collections today, proving that the image is one of glamour and style... one worth more than just a look.

Magazine: US Vogue October 1998
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Fashion Editor: Paul Cavaco
Model:
Oprah Winfrey

Oprah wanted to be made glamorous, Vogue informed her she had to lose weight, and so she did. Just as the magazine had once transformed Madonna to an All American girl and Courtney Love from grunge to chic minimalism, they transformed Oprah, although more glamorous, she still remained funny, clever and wonderfully down-to-earth. The cover immediately struck up controversy, claiming that the Editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, does not like fat people, and that making Oprah lose so much weight, was enough proof. But the cover still remains beautiful, it is Oprah at her best.
:flower:

Image Scanned By: Me|US Vogue October 1998

The Linda one is the only of these that I would maybe consider calling iconic, even while the others may have historical importance. An icon has to be instantly recognizable to a lot of people.

The Linda one is the only of these that I would maybe consider calling iconic, even while the others may have historical importance. An icon has to be instantly recognizable to a lot of people.

Well IMO besides the Linda Bazaar cover... the Mainbocher Corset image & the Demi Moore Vanity Fair image are both instantly recognizable to a lot of people. The Jean Shrimpton Bazaar from 1965 cover not so much.

Well IMO besides the Linda Bazaar cover... the Mainbocher Corset image & the Demi Moore Vanity Fair image are both instantly recognizable to a lot of people. The Jean Shrimpton Bazaar from 1965 cover not so much.

How about we change the name of the thread to "Most Historical & Iconic Magazine Images"? :wink:

How about we change the name of the thread to "Most Historical & Iconic Magazine Images"? :wink:

In this image Horst captured the poignant vulnerability of a woman undressing. Taken just before leaving Europe to escape World War II, Horst's photograph of the removal of a corset reveals female beauty from a different perspective that is nonetheless full of grace and elegance. Designers still find inspiration in this image for their collections today, proving that the image is one of glamour and style... one worth more than just a look.

That is really well written, oh my.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->