Your personal fashion rules

charlottesometimes

retro queen
Reaction score
I have a personal set of fashion guidelines that I try to follow that seems to be right for me (but not necessarily for others :blush: ) Does anyone else have any that they would like to share?

For example, when I wear something loose or baggy on top, I try to wear something fitted on the bottom, and visa versa.

If I wear denim, it can only be one piece at once.

a few "guidelines" that come to mind...

-no straight-legged pants unless they're linen (before you laugh, I have a really cute pair of pink ones)

-NO chunky shoes whatsoever w/ anything

There are certain things that just look terrible on me or just aren't me, so I avoid them...

~corduroy pants: they never hang right on me or the corduroy is too bulky...I'm willing to try a pair of lightweight fine wale stretch cords if I find a good pair, though
~plaid: makes me look nerdy and not in a good way
~slim pants: I need some flare at the bottom to balance out my hips and thighs
~fair isle pattern: just not my thing
~dusters or long sweater coats: dumpy-looking

me:

no long floor legth skirts....too "church" and it makes me look
as though im floating.

i try to stay away from school girl like clothes
because i will seriously look like a 16 yr old,
and bit kinky lolita [ haha hence my name]
.....i'll save it for special occasions :wink:
so v neck sweaters , white button up blouses
tiny plaid skirts and plaeted dress, skirts
need to be handled with care
so fun but too kinky for everyday! i look like a youngin'

like this: i really like it! but too naughty for the street!
i wouldnt wear it with knee highs and mary janes tho.....
i have to stay away from these sort of looks

00110f.jpg

i have so many! :P

1. NO knee high boots with skirts/dresses. EVER.

2. no pointed toe heels with skirts/dresses. They must be worn with pants.

3. no floor length skirts or calf length skirts

4. never wear anything without a waist.

5. no cable knit sweaters

6. plaid as a pant is a no no

7. short skirts are a no no unless you are petite and short

8. no corduroy pants

9. hair up if you are dressing up

10. no cropped pants, especially paired with boots. eww.

11. sweaters should have a v-neck and any floral print top should be with a low cut neckline or a v-neck. otherwise, it is too overwhelming.

12. never wear all one color and a matching lip stick.

13. nothing cartoony... and no to rainbow trends

14. shoulder pads are out.

15. straight leg pants are unflattering, as are high waisted and low rider pants

16. NO to Cargo anything!!!!!!!!!!! especially pants with drawstring hems.

17. no to tennis shoes and skirts.

18. always wear the right bra with your top.

19. batwings in general are bad... unless the top is cut extremely well and in a slinky fabric. otherwise, bulk ensues

20. i dislike the 80's stripey gwen stefani look. too much...

21. never wear pale drab colors: muted tones are not flattering

22. and no to ruching on the bodice or thigh area.

i think that i about covered mine. i am sure that i could think of more though. :woot:

Mine is very simple:
Always try to contrast, like chic/laid back, new/vintage, designer/highstreet, ladylike/boyish...

my personal guidelines.

- colour in small doses
- no cropped trousers. at all.
- no straight legged trousers/jeans
- no prints at all for me, unless it is vintage
- flats should only be paired with knee-skirts or higher
- handbags should be balanced with the scale of the outfit
- floor length skirts should only be worn with something simple, little, and fitted
- never more than one denim piece at a time, and denim is best left in jeans and skirts only for me

I just have a few personal guidelines as well:

-no khaki or grey near my face-washes me out terribly
-no yellow at all
-small amounts of vivid color
-minimal, but interesting accessories (otherwise I feel uncomfortable)
-very few prints

I like black, navy, clean lines, and one great accessory.

It's very exciting that this topic has been raised. I have trillions of these! So good of you charlottesometimes to share your experience with this too!

Oh yeah, I totally agree with the one piece of denim at a time idea as well. Stop denim on denim violence! :P

i am 5'3", size XS/Small and my closet has a very mix and match quality. i don't know where to begin, but in a nutshell i stick by this rule which, above all other styles i've experimented with, works on me the best.
i call it lackadaisical coquette-ish tomboy chic if it makes any sense. :wink:

Originally posted by HBoogie@Sep 18th, 2003 - 9:49 am
Oh yeah, I totally agree with the one piece of denim at a time idea as well. Stop denim on denim violence! :P
yes

although on rare ocassions I ahve seen denim jacket and jeans look good :shock:

i love bruce's denim on denim look. and matt dillon's in the outsiders. :smile:

This is great! I agree with a lot of what's said above.

My personal biggest don'ts…

* No patterns on trousers
* No leggings
* I stay away from boyish mod-style and go for glamour…!
* No fake hand bags, quality over quantity!
* Nothing than ends on my calves - boots, skirts, pants, whatever…
* No orangey makeup
* No nude stockings
* No chunky shoes
* No chunky outwear
* Nothing knitted AND oversized :cry:
* No wet look hair do's
* No syntethic materials that can't breathe
* Nothing torn apart or designer-trashed
* No super light washed denim :yuk:

I've loved reading what everyone has said. :flower: Seems like we all share similar ideas.

I forgot to mention my most important rule about vintage (which I love and collect).

If I was old enough to have worn it first time around, then I definitely cannot wear it as a vintage piece now (which cuts out anything from the late 70s onward). :blush:

the ones that come into my head immediatly:

- no high heeled shoes under wide-legged pants, if the pants fall over the ankle and all you see is the toes and the heel of the shoe. for some reason, I hate that.
- no leggings
- never, ever ever ever wear pleated skirts. pleated skirts are the death of a woman
- no overly synthetic materials
- I have to be able to wear a bra, so no spaghetti-strap dresses. I've got a strapless bra, but it doesn't work
- I have to feel comfortable in what I'm wearing, both physically and mentally
- no more than one piece of jewelery at a time, so if I wear earrings, I can't wear a necklace as well. with earstuds, I am prepared to make an exception, but I'd rather not.
- I never wear rings or bracelets because they hinder me. (and no, this has nothing to do with being afraid of marriage :lol: )
- I like to wear a lot of skirts
- no big t-shirts
- no thick-heeled shoes, nor platforms
- in the winter, I want to wear WARM clothes
- there are certain shades of light-pink and light-beige that make me look sick, so I can never wear those colours

what a fun thread! I'll try to think of more...

Just wear whatever I like and feel comfortable in...Normally I wear tons of blacks and whites. I love to buy little stuff with bright colours, and sometimes I have them made, like my hot pink velvet blazer, that may sound a bit flashy, but, with black tee and black jeans it can pull of anything, even a hanging cord :lol:. I like to go extreme, from chic to street, fashionably wearable, and all that crazy stuff...but I have to agree with the denim dilema, unless I buy the pant that matches the jacket, I will never EVER wear different denim colours or the whole shoes,bag,hat,umbrella,underwear,bra,pant,shirt,jacket, all at the same time, u get my drift right??? :wacko: ...be happy! but dont look like boy george!

*Never wear yellow
*Avoid wearing key pieces of your outfit on bright colors (better if apply on accesories)
*Always pick a focal point, the piece-de-resistance ... base your entire outfit on it, keep in mind that this piece may be completely different from whatever you're wearing, but it helps a lot if you commited a fashion faux-pas with one of the other pieces of clothing you're wearing ...
*Don't ever use the front pockets of anything you're wearing ...avoid using back pockets and bulky stuff on 'em ...
*Even when at home ... wear something (comfortable AND) easy-on-the-eye ..you never know if that special someone you're trying to lure may pop into your place unexpectedly
*Take a "Let's dress ME" day, and empty your closet and mix and match everything with everything ... you'll be surprised of the outfits you may come up with! (and if something totally un-wearable...give it to charity)
*White is really tricky to wear ... white pants are so difficult, keep that in mind when planing to wear 'em!
*Sneakers (esp. white) are :sick: ... wear 'em on the GYM or track only.
*Try to avoid wearing more than one patterned item
*About trends ... you may look absolutely ridiculous (say it to yourself) Be careful!
*The ultimate fashionista is the one who's got style and stands out while making it seems effortless ... get your own signature look !!!

Errm ... I think that's it!

Originally posted by blumarine@Sep 21st, 2003 - 12:54 am
*Take a "Let's dress ME" day, and empty your closet and mix and match everything with everything ... you'll be surprised of the outfits you may come up with! (and if something totally un-wearable...give it to charity)
B) good idea...maybe I'll do that today

Sorry to double post, but I just remembered another one...

overalls are a big NO. :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarenabrilcoleman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->