Your Top Five F/W 06.07 Collections

Eccentricity

Reaction score
Gianni Versace by Donatella Versace, Milan
An innovative addition that supplements her spectacular Spring collection, there is a new lease of life and influx of optimisim within Gianni's once waining fashion house - Donatella's reversal from uninspired, unecessarily bold and vivid garments to a more subdued splash of colour - deep but not promiment shades of blue, serene shades of white and understated carmel/brown tones featured in her winter collection. In many respects, the past two seasons have been a redemption for Donatella's house, who seems to have adopted a new ethos of progression with each season; new concepts, fresh venues and updated accsessories.

Gucci, by Frida Gianni in Milan
Somewhat of an ironic tribute to the heyday of Tom Ford's sultry Gucci woman, Frida's efforts at the house show a compassionate yet reluctant attempt at commercial sucsess - a realisation that dated, mature prints and mens striped sweats as all featured last season are not within the intrest of Gucci's fundamental market. Gucci's collection retained its elegance whilst maintaining a certain tackiness we can all associate to the designers based within Milan - injecting a sense of youth and fun into the somewhat bland brand that Gucci has become since parting with the incomparable Tom Ford.

Alexander Mcqueen, by Alexander Mcqueen in Paris

There are some fashion moments which are revolutinary, paving the way for reform or a wholly new ethos still not adopted within the industry. Alexander Mcqueen's show in Paris epitomised a desire for change: the garments themselves within their own calibre, distinct from the predictability of the clothing put on runways around Paris and New York compulsivley each season. Within true Mcqueen fashion, the show implemented the benifits of theatrics (take note, Mr Galliano) though not allowing showmanship to dominate over the beauty and elegance of the clothes themselves. This is fashion for the future, and i strongly suggest editors, clients and consumers alike carefully observe Mcqueen's following collection - his talent and originality is genuine - truley rare within this repetative industry in which we dwell.

Marc Jacobs, by Marc Jacobs in New York

Courage. Amidst the commercial backdrop of New York - it is incredibly difficult to satisfy both fashion commentators and editors in addition to a loyal, domestic all-american consumer. Marc Jacobs achieved this feat brilliantly at his New York show. Layering was central to the collection itself, the clothing suitable and fashionable for the upcoming Winter season.

Balenciaga, by Nicholas G. in Paris

An aristocratic, wealthy woman has suddenly been thrusted into the limelight at Dolce and Gabanna, Jean Paul Gaultier and Balenciaga fashion shows. Shuning last seasons victorian laced references, Nicholas brought a new concept to Balenciaga: Garments with volume. A true pioneer in foreseeing future trends within the industry, Nicholas progressed the house into conceptual paradise; combining volumnous but bearing the ankle gowns that basked in their immaculate tailoring. Balenciaga is a beacon for innovative design - there is some intellactual thinking behind the garments - and not the eccentric type we can recall for the likes of Victor & Rolf or John Galliano's efforts at Dior - but a completley commerical and marketable type of eccentricty - one that can be adopted by mainstream consumers and fashion critics alike.

RANKING
1 Alexander Mcqueen
2 Balenciaga
3 Marc Jacobs
4 Versace
5 Gucci

Don't jump the gun

There's still a few to go yet

Lanvin, Mui Mui, Vuitton . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think considering the broad coverage of the collections,five might not be enough. 10 would suffice,imo. There were too many good collections the last weeks to narrow down in such a small way.

^ Really? I kind of feel that we had a lot of mediocre collections and only a few good ones. But I agree a top ten would be better, we do it every season so :smile:

What about Fendi people. The collection spewed luxury. I thought so anyways.

i think this has been the most disappointing season in years, but yes..10 may be a wiser choice...

but then again, this is so subjective..i might get really mad if people are going to argue that dolce & gabanna was the #1 colelction:D

i may just stay away...

definitely mcqueen is at the top of my list (be it top 5 or 10) thus far. still waiting for LV...

I thought for NYC a lot of the newer designers did great... like Verrier and Doo.ri they really took risks. I thought Lanvin, mcqueen, verrier, YSL were great!

It is now safe for me to compose this list. I'm going for 10 :flower:

1. Alexander McQueen (hands down without a doubt:(heart:
2. Lanvin
3. Versace
4. Viktor & Rolf
5. Missoni
6. Rochas/Jean Paul Gaultier
7. Yohji Yamamoto
8. Dolce & Gabbana
9. Yves Saint Laurent
10. Ralph Lauren

Those who flopped. (some more than others ^_^ )
Gucci. Louis Vuitton, Chanel

My current list, since I've yet to see Lanvin and Miu Miu's complete collections and I left one spot open because I couldn't think of any more.

Alexander McQueen- A brilliant return to form for McQueen. As far as themes are concerned it was borderline retrospective, but after a lackluster fall and shockingly bad spring this was a more than welcome comeback.

Versace- one of the strongest collections Versace as done in years, it was focused, clean and surprisingly modest.

Narciso Rodriguez- another return to form after a few seasons of experimental volume from the master of understated sexuality.

Rochas- yet again Olivier added ampther layer to the story he's working at Rochas injecting a harder edge to the normally soft vocabulary.

Roberto Cavalli- Surprisingly tasteful, shockingly devoid of excess skin, and a bit toned down, yet it had a luxury that Roberto has never achieved before (plus I'm a sucker for Poiret influences)

Jean Paul Gaultier- Aside from the randomness of the dogs and cats on the runway the clothes were just beautiful, there's really nothing else to say about it.

Viktor and Rolf- Nothing new from this duo, but it was an interesting subversion of traditional feminine chic.

Christian Dior- Beneath the wigs, shades and odd soundtrack the clothes were dark and beautiful with a killer rock and roll edge.

Sophia Kokosalaki- I'm not terribly familiar with her work, except for her wonderful draping techniques, so I don't know how it measures up to past seasons, but there were a lot of clothes in that collection that I just loved.

I feel like it's such a predictable list, but there weren't any real surprises this season, with the exception of Cavalli doing a collection that I dound extremely appealing.

letdowns- Galliano, Balenciaga, Prada, Vuitton.

i think we should start the top 5 (or 10) let down list instead... i have a few to name...

my top 5 would have to look like this.

ALEXANDER MCQUEEN
MARC JACOBS
UNDERCOVER
BALENCIAGA
YVES SAINT LAURENT

I don't think I loved any collections as a whole but there are pieces from the following collections that I thought was great
Paco Rabanne
Mcqueen
Viktor Rolf
Dior
Lanvin
Rochas
Fendi
...maybe there will be some more

I can't quite seem to put the following in order, but I can definitely say the McQueen is #1:

McQueen
Marc Jacobs
Fendi
Yves Saint Laurent
Lanvin
Viktor & Rolf
Sonia Rykiel

my top five are these:

1.- ALEXANDER MCQUEEN (no doubts about this one, excelent colletion!! and i agree with a lot of poeple when they say MCQUEEN IS BACK!!)
2.- Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere
3.- Marc Jacobs
4.- Viktor & Rolf
5.- D&G

i guess.. even though i thought this season there were not too many good collections, i think i may have left some behind.. aaanyway, this are my top 5 :D!

Pierre Balmain
Hermes
Givenchy
Alberta Ferretti
Rodarte
Etro
Vivienne Tam
Jonathan Saunders
Gilles Deacon
Balenciaga

Dolce&Gabbana
Versace
Chanel
Dior
John Galliano

And honorable mention to Fendi. I have to say though that Fashion week this season in all was a let down for me. I Didn't like all the fur and the lack of ideas. It seemed as though everyone was copying each other.......so nothing was very innovative in my opinion.

:unsure: :cry: :huh:

#1) Alexander McQueen - Sooo lovely, in between the ethereal fairytale he was making clothes for was a very wearable, and most importantly, sellable RTW collection.

#2) Celine - After her rocky S/S collection Omazic produced a very wearable, incredibly chic and tailored collection. Noone is left wishing Kors was still at Celine.

#3) Dior - Let's look past the recycled runway, annoying accessories and pointless headbands and sunglasses. An excellent collection is what we have. Gorgeous coats, incredible dresses, and incredible Dior collection.

#4) Aquascutum - Im in looove. I love the super graphic minimalism they're doing. And that highliter yellow coat, yum. Very cool.

#5) Versace - Amazing what rehab can do. Donatella produced a restrained, tasteful and cool collection. Incredibly dresses were missing sequins and there was actually a feeling of FALL from Versace.

Worst Collection:

It was a toughie, between Vuitton and Gucci. I didnt expect anything from Vuitton so the worst is Gucci. Phenominally tacky, cheap and what Id expect from Versace...on a really bad day. Im not forgetting D&G but I dont expect anything decent from them.

Most Improvment:

Fendi. Went from hideously unchic to glamor chic, plus, the bags and shoes are better than ever.

Least Improvement:

Chloe. Shapeless clothes, check. Shapeless bags, check. Tall chunky platforms, check. A collection that is a rehash of the past seasons, check.

Most Disappointing:

Chanel. Karl needs to be put down.

Most Vomit Inducing:

Junya Watanabe

Most Waste of Time:

Ungaro

Honorable Mention:

Dolce & Gabbana produced a suprisingly wearable and tasteful collection. Was it chic, not really. It was very costumey. Still better than anything else theyve done in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->