Top 20 F/W '06 Mens European Collections

trueblue

Reaction score
From DNR.

"Men's European runway collections for fall '06 ushered in an era of new formalism with fresh silhouettes and a brazen disregard for conventions that dictate rules of dressing. From Alexander McQueen's shadowy gothic collection to Dior Homme's formal, tuxedo looks illuminated by a blaze of fire, these bold styles were not made for mere mortals. Here are the top 20 fall 2006 Eurpoean men's wear collections based on the number of MEN.STYLE.COM page views during the first four weeks each collection was posted online. STYLE.COM, like DNR, is owned by Conde Nast Publications."

1.) DOLCE & GABBANA - 1,536,004
Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana's fall collection inspired by emperors, deemed "New Power," was indeed a powerful show of cropped waistcoats, shrunken jackets and trim pants.

2.) D&G - 950,720
Dolce and Gabbana created another winning combination for their diffusion line shown with a retail-friendly collection of rugged knits, tight peacoats and handsome denim.

3.) PRADA - 911,077
The dreamlike, urban jungle that Miuccia Prada evoked in her fall collection of blurred animal-print shirts and fur helmets was rendered urbane with her signature clean silhouette.

4.) DIOR HOMME - 832,915
Hedi Slimane went out with a bang-or should we say, a blast of fire from an installation that lit up the runway. His sleek, sophisticated smoking suits burned brightly and dramatically.

5.) BURBERRY PRORSUM - 748,486
Christopher Bailey. dove headfirst into the archives of this 150-year-old label to produce a polished collection of contemporary pinstripe suits, leather trenches and tight knits.

6.) ALEXANDER MCQUEEN - 743,161
One of the more dramatic moments during Milan Fashion Week came courtesy of Alexander McQueen, whose shadowy group of vampires and creatures of the night strutted his stuff.

7.) DSQUARED - 688,194
Inventors of their own fashion fable, precious pair Dan and Dean Cated referenced British royalty, boarding school and upper-crust English society with riding boots and jackets.

8.) GUCCI - 657,833
John Ray's last show before departing the Italian luxury brand paid homage to his Scottish heritage in a sexy, rustic collection of plunging necklines and tapered trousers.

9.) GIORGIO ARMANI - 613,612
"Velvet Man" was the theme of Giorgio Armani's fall collection, and the designer used every oppertunity to reiterate the fabric on everything from tuxedo jackets to slouchy pants.

10.) VERSACE - 564,652
Always a glamazon goddess, Donatella Versace aimed for the stars this fall with '80s-style, strong-shouldered power suits, untamed, silk printed shirts and powerful cropped coats.

11.) JOHN GALLIANO - 531,027
True to his style vision, John Galliano took a theatrical approach to his fall collection inspired by Oliver Twist. Chunky shearlings and somber black suits were ideal for Artful Dodgers.

12.) CALVIN KLEIN COLLECTION - 513,589
The cacophony of the modern age was the inspiration for Calvin Klein Collection designer Italo Zucchelli, whose interpretation of the digital dots creatively came to life in pixilated fabrics.

13.) EMPORIO ARMANI - 459,807
Shaking up his winning formula of the chic pieces that aren't too cool for their own good, Giorgio Armani tried his version of rock & roll with slim jackets, baggy pants and tight cardigans

14.) COMMES DES GARCONS - 437, 111
1950's rock & role rebellion was the pervasive theme at the Comme des Garcons show in Paris. Black suits with long silhouettes and oversized proportions drummed the idea home.

15.) JIL SANDER - 431,697
Raf Simons' stunning runway debut designing for the minimalist label proved to be a sensation. The strong colletion featured black wool suits, slim trousers and oversized jackets.

16.) VALENTINO - 416,380
The luxury house creatively transformed its fall show into an airport VIP lounge to feature sumptuous textures such as cashmere, crocodile, and moleskin, ideal for jet-set lifestyles.

17.) Costume National 408,829
Ennio Capasa reached into the soul of his brand to produce a collection that was both romantic and raw-edged with a rock & roll sensibility. As usual, outerwear and footwear were victors.

18.) LOUIS VUITTON - 372,380
The typically assured Vuitton man was more focused than ever this season. Under the creative guidance of Marc Jacobs, the collection ushed in fresh, yet luxurious, silhouettes.

19.) YVES SAINT LAURENT 359,785
In a celebration of vanity and confidence, Yves Saint Laurent creative director Stefano Pilati added new dimension to monochromatic dressy looks layered tweeds and flannels.

20.) ROBERTO CAVALLI - 355,407
Known for exotic animal prints and skins, Roberto Cavalli stayed wild for fall with an adventurous collection of serpentine illusions and an Asian fusion of dragon motifs.

"

That took a while to type, sorry if there are typos.

Burberry was a little underwhelming (comparing to his BRILLIANT fallwinter of the previous year) but still solid.... and oh those cute burberry boys :D :D :D
liked Prada (minus the ugly fur motorbyke helmets)
yes i do agree Dolce&Gabbana was the best.
Comme Des Garçons was alright however lacked spark of the previous RollingStone year.
Costume National was another favorite.
DSquared underwhelming as well, but still not too shabby.

#1 - the list is laughable
#2 - top 20??? there were probably 40 more or less major shows altogether, and they decided to pick half? why didn't they just list them all?

:rofl:

CdG looks kinda misplaced on a list with strictly Eurotrash labels ...

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think that this list is someone's personal opinions, but rather how many people checked the show after it was posted on style.com..i could be mistaken though.....although i did think that dolce had a great season for both their men's and women's collections :woot:

trueblue said:
From DNR.

"Men's European runway collections for fall '06 ushered in an era of new formalism with fresh silhouettes and a brazen disregard for conventions that dictate rules of dressing. From Alexander McQueen's shadowy gothic collection to Dior Homme's formal, tuxedo looks illuminated by a blaze of fire, these bold styles were not made for mere mortals. Here are the top 20 fall 2006 Eurpoean men's wear collections based on the number of MEN.STYLE.COM page views during the first four weeks each collection was posted online. STYLE.COM, like DNR, is owned by Conde Nast Publications

yeah..it is :flower:

I think you're misunderstanding, the list is not someone's top picks persay, however, the list is simply based on the number of hits each runway collection got from the particular website.

Nothing is "placed" anywhere.

That said, I obviously don't think Dolce & Gabbana was the best European show either... it did get the most views though. My favorites aren't near the top either.

I thought it was interesting to see what line got viewed the most times. It's almost like ..."Of course Dolce got the most hits, they market themselves incredibly well and the label sells sells sells. People want to see why, something has peaked their interests."

Or atleast that's what I got from it.

Thanks for posting by the way^

i think another reason that Dolce made the top of the list, or got the most hits rather, is because it is a household name...people have heard of Dolce and Gabbana..it's very mainstream, so it makes sense that it would be at the top when you think about it

that being said, i still think that their fall collections this season were very strong...

also, do they have this list for the women's collections?..what website is DNR? is it shorter for something else?...thanks :flower:

thanks jssy. DNR is a weekly publication actually, a magazine. As far as the website goes, I have no idea, I typed it word for word out of the mag.

DNR - Defining Men's Fashion, so, unfortunately, no to your women's collections question

:lol:this lit up my day...:rofl:
isnt it lovely to see D&G and dolce in 1 and 2..
superb! and no raf simons in sight.. :innocent:..
gives us an insight to the majority of ppl who look on men.style.

Yes.....the only annoying thing about it is that CDG is on it at all!

okay my bad.. not "placed" ...

but still... CdG should not be anywhere near those labels.. :ninja:

I am wondering what are the "fresh silhouettes":-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->