Yves Saint Laurent F/W 04.05 Paris

i adored this collection. probably my favorite ford collection with ysl.
i love the chinese inspired dresses, esp the one on gemma. and that skirt on lily is so love!

the third cream color dress in post #7 is my wedding dress ^_^ This was how I fell in love with YSL...although it was Tom Ford's last collection there, Pilati does an equally amazing job.

would love to see you post a picture in that dress! Is like fashion history! I would personally go for Rochas for my wedding dress.. but since that's gone bust I don't know.. :cry:

Tom Ford payed NO respect to the YSL legacy ... and there's ALREADY a thread on this collection, please remember to use the search option when posting new threads

ultramarine said:
Tom Ford payed NO respect to the YSL legacy ... and there's ALREADY a thread on this collection, please remember to use the search option when posting new threads

Yeah that's what i don't understand
what is that legacy that ppl are saying which tom ford never paid respect????

i don't think tom ford did such a horrible job..he is better suited for gucci though
stefano for ysl is brilliant though ^_^ he totally gets it

city girl said:
i don't think tom ford did such a horrible job..he is better suited for gucci though
stefano for ysl is brilliant though ^_^ he totally gets it

the problem is that is TOM FORD for YSL -in caps- ... TF overpowered the YSL aesthetic -tho his is nice- ... and yes, Pilati's perfect for YSL

ultramarine said:

i think that Ford was far more respectful to ysl´s legacy, than ysl himself to him, he always interpreted his work in one way or another and do not forget that ysl´s clothes from the past weren´t necessarily for shrinking violets, whenever i read a comment on how ford´s collection´s for Saint Laurent were to sl*tty i cannot kept on thinking about Saint Laurent being the first ever designer to include sex and scandal on his runways decades ago.

sorry but when i hear people refering to YSL and his legacy like the way you did (comparing it to ford´s work as it not representing it "respectfully" enaugh) at least i sense it as being a very uptight, classic, almost boring desing house, and it was far more than that, including heavy doses of sex and hedonism, Pilati has turned it into one of the chicest house around this days, but we have to admit most of his collections have been much less confrontational than fords (except his second), wich isn´t necessarily a bad thing, but i guess if we compare in terms of personality, ford is more similar to Saint Laurent than Stefano and since the designer is the soul of the collection is hard to believe that ford was wrong for YSL, but since he had to go, thankfully we have Stefano doing wonders there too.

as much as i love tom for ysl, i prefer stefano for the house .. it's just a better fit. some of the pieces from this particular collection, especially the last ones, made me feel as if i was watching one of wong kar wai's films. they're great but there's something a bit awkward. oh well.

j´adore dior said:
i think that Ford was far more respectful to ysl´s legacy, than ysl himself to him, he always interpreted his work in one way or another and do not forget that ysl´s clothes from the past weren´t necessarily for shrinking violets, whenever i read a comment on how ford´s collection´s for Saint Laurent were to sl*tty i cannot kept on thinking about Saint Laurent being the first ever designer to include sex and scandal on his runways decades ago.

sorry but when i hear people refering to YSL and his legacy like the way you did (comparing it to ford´s work as it not representing it "respectfully" enaugh) at least i sense it as being a very uptight, classic, almost boring desing house, and it was far more than that, including heavy doses of sex and hedonism, Pilati has turned it into one of the chicest house around this days, but we have to admit most of his collections have been much less confrontational than fords (except his second), which isn´t necessarily a bad thing, but i guess if we compare in terms of personality, ford is more similar to Saint Laurent than Stefano and since the designer is the soul of the collection is hard to believe that ford was wrong for YSL, but since he had to go, thankfully we have Stefano doing wonders there too.

I agree, from the nudity to the drug references, there was a darkside to YSL's work. Ford seemed mainly interested in how Newton used YSL's clothes in his photography...and kind of made his designs more about the women who'd wear them as opposed to building a shrine to one of the most influential designers in fashion history. It's a hard choice to make and you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I sometimes think Pliati's work is stuffy and off the mark but he's lucky in that those aspects that he's wants to champion are now edgy in our time (particularly when it comes to his menswear).

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, this was Tom Ford's finest collection at Yves Saint Laurent, even surpassing his best at Gucci.

No one can present a collection like Tom could, sorry Karl. The man could create an ambiance, and the mood was so perfect for this presentation. The music so on key, it actually brought tears to my eyes as the models slowly sauntered down the runway with their exaggerated pagoda shoulder jackets and pencil skirts so tight they could barely move.

It's a shame we were never able to see his full vision for Yves Saint Laurent. From what I understand, he nurtured YSL and wanted it to be everything Gucci could not be - less commercial. I believe Tom was really starting to expand his creative talents with the house by the time of his departure.

I also want to touch on the store concept he put in place at YSL. Yes, the William Sofield concept was dark and intimidating, but his stores were glamorous. I don't believe the YSL would be where it were today if not for Tom's influence, and while I love Stefano, he basically wouldn't have a job if Tom had never hired him.

The only other collection that rivals this was Olivier Theyskens final show for Nina Ricci. Sorry, I could go on and on about both shows, but I've worked in fashion and with a lot of beautiful clothes and I can tell you that it takes a lot more than an expensive price tag to evoke an emotion from a consumer. These collections will be forever remembered for their beauty, sophistication and skillful presentation.

This collection is soo good it looks current and relevant even today. Tom Ford is a fashion genius period. Those pagoda jackets makes Balmains jackets look so inferior. Hands down my favorite collection of the 2000's

to compare this to Theysken's final Ricci show is a travesty. unlike this, Theysken's designs are hardly timeless, glamorous or could be easily worn by more 'regular' people. to me, that was the beauty of a lot of Tom's designs. they were pieces of art and stunningly sexy, but they could be actually WORN. Theysken's stuff ended up being too outlandish.

but i agree on the stores. Gucci stores have also become more and more filled with light. they lost their dark, sexy vibe.

still love that gown on Tiiu (if that's her?)

to compare this to Theysken's final Ricci show is a travesty. unlike this, Theysken's designs are hardly timeless, glamorous or could be easily worn by more 'regular' people. to me, that was the beauty of a lot of Tom's designs. they were pieces of art and stunningly sexy, but they could be actually WORN. Theysken's stuff ended up being too outlandish.

but i agree on the stores. Gucci stores have also become more and more filled with light. they lost their dark, sexy vibe.

still love that gown on Tiiu (if that's her?)

That was exactly my point, this was not a commercial collection or timeless in terms of tradition. Hence my Theysken’s at Nina Ricci reference.

This was so unlike Tom’s minimal and commercial work in the past, his final collection at Yves Saint Laurent was revolutionary. Unlike his “greatest hits” at Gucci collection, he presented an evolved Saint Laurent woman, one no longer restrained by bondage pumps nor empowered by louche nipple baring bohemian blouses. His final Saint Laurent woman was sophisticated, restrained, yet empowered. This woman exuded a confidence that I have yet to see in any collection since.

I saw more of Monsieur Saint Laurent’s spirit in this collection than any of Tom’s prior work at the house. And I don’t mean a casual reference to Le Smoking, but rather the power Monsieur Saint Laurent gave women through dressing.

no, Tom's work generally has a commercial tinge to it, if you ask me. something Theyskens totally lacks. which is why Theyskens flopped. not just once. but twice at 2 different labels.

pretty much everything was perfectly wearable.

I'm not saying Tom was not commercial, I attribute his success to his appeal to the masses. But I don't particularly find this collection wearable unless you are Carine Roitfeld. And my Theyskens reference applied more to the impact of the presentation.

Tom Ford was successful because he mastered the formula that perfectly balanced business and fashion. Very few people can do this. Case in point: Theyskens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->