85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) #2

The American government alots a small percent of funds to public TV & radio, and this present White House has emphasized the importance of the arts on many, many occasions. But it doesn't matter, ehatever the FLOTUS does or says, to some, her motives will always be nefarious.

I think it's weird to have the first lady participating in something so trivial like an awards show...

Yes I agree. And you just know that Fox news are going to have a spaz.

Still don't know who my best dressed is. Have to have a good think.

It's not like it was the president. And besides, she's been a big supporter of the arts since Obama's first term. It's not that surprising to me when you think about it.

It's not like it was the president. And besides, she's been a big supporter of the arts since Obama's first term. It's not that surprising to me when you think about it.

Well it may be weird or even inappropriate, but I still say "Woot! for that" - and including fashion as an art too. Has there been a first lady since Jackie that did as much for fashion? I don't think so.

And frankly I'd much rather see the first lady promoting the arts than, oh I don't know, fighting the "war on drugs".

^ she probably already supports that in some way but I would prefer her sticking to that to be frank, especially when such a silly name for a conflict does have another country completely torn apart.

^ I say both... focus on both.

(re: "war on drugs" I was referencing the Reagans and the 80s, which imo was a misdirected effort at that time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but through policies, not on television or parades, which is what television/show business/entertainment usually is, esp. in events like this. Then again, like I said, that's just a cultural perception for me, and the film industry does generate jobs..

(eta* thought you were downplaying cartel conflict- apologies!).

This has been a surprisingly disappointing Oscars red carpet. There was not one standout look.

Most disappointing award has to go to Anne Hathaway, who had a snooze-worthy awards show red carpet run after wearing killer ensembles to Les Mis premieres (Givenchy HC and Tom Ford).

Weirdly I'd say the USA almost wields its highest power at this point in history through the entertainment industry; it's what reaches the furthest and possibly has one of the biggest impacts. I think the Obamas get that -these days- the medium really is the message. Other countries have as much power as the USA in other ways, or certainly their power is growing, but in the entertainment industry I don't think any other country has as much power or influence. And I don't say that to belittle other industries, as I often prefer the artistic work from OTHER countries. But just in terms of sheer dollar and marketing power, the USA is huge. And so in even a political sense, notwithstanding the artistic sense, one could argue that Mrs. Obama's appearance tonight was a savvy one.

^ yeah, that's true. I find the appearance weird (I'm not American) but not when you consider the symbolism/influence and weight of the film industry in the US economy.

^Hollywood is a juggernaut. Most of the best films produced and the best acting performances often haven't and aren't recognized by the Academy bc their country of origin isn't the U.S. (and also bc they can't run such campaigns necessary to get nominated and secure an Oscar).

As I've said before, Cannes is a much better judge of film quality, imo.

(eta* thought you were downplaying cartel conflict- apologies!).
- no worries - I edited my post to clarify too. Could've been easily misinterpreted as I didn't give context.

eternitygoddess I don't think the Oscars are the best judge of film-making by any stretch, but I usually approach them with a "just go with it" attitude. :D

I agree with you about Anne's previous outfits - i.e. to the premieres - being more exciting than the ones she's worn to awards. I wonder if her stylist has had something to do with it? Or the underwear-gate episode after the Tom Ford dominatrix oufit? Tonight was almost an about-face from that! ^_^

My best dressed before I forget:

Charlize Theron
Charlize+Theron+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+YpG19iODswsl.jpg

Quvenzhane Wallis
Quvenzhane+Wallis+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+zhCX4AzGNDdl.jpg

Halle Berry
Halle+Berry+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+FTkpBWIoXfll.jpg

Zoe Saldana
Zoe+Saldana+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+VAZAHKXCRtdl.jpg

Naomi Watts
Naomi+Watts+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+KCGMwuy7sx5l.jpg

Jane Fonda
Jane+Fonda+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+-Yc_5dYGQEVl.jpg

Jessica Chastain
Jessica+Chastain+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+gRiyxhKBy_ql.jpg

Catherine Zeta Jones
Catherine+Zeta+Jones+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+vTpYb4dZWgcl.jpg

Olivia Munn
Olivia+Munn+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+N2ktwE869aKl.jpg

Olivia+Munn+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+PpQ3eGZj_IGl.jpg

Robin Roberts
Robin+Roberts+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+5Zk-pjJdJIfl.jpg

Stacy Keibler
Stacy+Keibler+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+FwGIlgoSionl.jpg

Kerry Washington
Kerry+Washington+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Wpg1vvMwJqYl.jpg

Octavia Spencer
Octavia+Spencer+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+6XVRAOoAOGTl.jpg

Fan Bingbing
Fan+Bingbing+85th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+N_zFP3j8791l.jpg

zimbio

The Good (IMO) -
Alicia Vikander in Elie Saab :heart:
Kerry Washington in Miu Miu
Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen (minus the hair and makeup, which coupled with the dress makes the whole outfit too .. dated)
Charlize Theron in Dior (just

The "Meh"
Jennifer Lawrence in Dior (nice, but dull)
Jessica Chastain in Armani (I just find her too boring to be interested in her outfits, even when they're pretty)

The Ugly
Too many to name :ninja: - seriously, is this the worst year for Oscar fashion in a long time, or am I imagining things?

Other than that , to dwell on the positive, I thought Naomi Watts in Armani looked good, even if it kind of looks like she's starring in a film as some kind of robot/cyborg. Anne Hathaway's Prada dress was pretty

TFS is a tough crowd. There were so many variety of dresses, big, streamlined, sequined, metallic, neutral, colored..etc and people are still complaining it was boring? When an actress goes for understated glamour like Chastain she's considered "boring" but I guarantee when you review her pictures 10 years from now she will still look gorgeous and not tacky and dated.

The Oscars is not the place to "take a risk" IMO. Media from all of the world is covering the event. I'd strive to look my best-- not go for shock value and end up looking ridiculous and being mocked for decades to come.

My best dressed in no particular order:

Jessica Chastain
Jennifer Lawrence
Halle Berry
Zoe Saldana
Olivia Munn

Worst:
Amanda Seyfried- she looked like the bride of Frankenstein
Anne Hathaway- Her dress looked like Jessica McClintock for Prom
Charlize- she didn't look bad but the peplum trend is so tired and the dress looked too much like what Anne Hathaway wore to the Globes.

I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the actresses wore better dresses to the Vanity Fair party than they did to the Oscars.

Best dressed in no order
Olivia Munn - Its a shame a beautiful dress was wasted on a nobody. :(
Jennifer Lawrence
Charlize Theron
Stacey Keibler
Naomi Watts

Worst:
Anne Hathaway - nope
Amanda Seyfried - nope #2
Jessica Chastain - Zzzz
Jennifer Hudson - tacky, but nice colour
Samantha Barks - boring as ****

There were some exquisite dresses, however for me this year there was no 'wow' standout like in previous years. Gwyneth's cape, Angelina's emerald earrings, Nicole's bow collar etc there wasn't that moment on the carpet his year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->