Alexander McQueen Resort 2012

Holy mother, that is breath taking! Yes, a bit safe, but it's very beautiful and done very well. I'd buy the lot if I could.

How many times do we have to see the same motifs, color palette, silhouette and cutting? It's beautiful, but enough is enough. Pretty doesn't cut it for the McQueen brand.

How many times do we have to see the same motifs, color palette, silhouette and cutting? It's beautiful, but enough is enough. Pretty doesn't cut it for the McQueen brand.

I agree.

I was never a fan of the wide gathered pleats of material which appeared in McQueen's last, half finished, collection and continue to appear.

But also, I hate the abundance of collections, I can never take 'resort' seriously which I feel just serves to drain the designer further. Money over creativity.

Anyway.

As for this collection, I loathe the little shell and embroidery thing, really ugly.

I do like the natural palette and contrasting fabrics/leather. Yes trad McQueen, but tips me over an interest in F/W....possibly.

OMG! Street! I think you are kinda right! They closely approach and blur the line with Marchesa.

Sarah needs to sharpen the lines more. Its feminine and beautiful but didnt Lee once said that he wanted to designed clothes for women to be scared of?

This isnt it. And those olive green military jackets ... I dont like at all. The rest is beautiful.

Wow, it's so beautiful. My eyes won't look away.

The thing I like it is that it's rather simple for McQueen yet everything is instantly identifiable AS McQueen. For me anyway.

I don't think it's moving into Marchesa's homeland. This is actually good and well-crafted. Marchesa is...not.

^ Oh, I agree. The matter is with all these femininity and ruffles and even the palette it does kinda moves into the Marchesa demographic (beautiful dresses). McQueen IS edgy. And this collection isnt. Its soft.

I think that if Sarah in some way is doing something similar each season it´s because her formula is actually working on women, this is for people to wear and it delivers so well, perfect daywear, cocktail, the most amazing couture dresses, it has it all for them to choose and to built on what they already have from the label, it has a very distinctive style and to me its just so covetable.

It´s both smart and very chic and Im sure will see a splendid show filled with even more creativity in October.

Love Sarah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving more the Pre-Falls and Resorts than the pre-a-porter of Burton.
Love this!

It's a beautiful resort collection but it's not enough. Since Sarah took over there are not sharp cuts, it's all soft and sweet and pretty and brown-palette now.
Color is gone. Rainbow, acid colors. Jeeez.
Those leather dresses would be amazing if they were sharper but oh well, gotta get use to this.

Sarah Burton is probably not trying to make the McQueen line as avant garde as Alexander did... I do remember that he wasn't making a ton of money because of his inaccessible pieces, so I love that she is trying to make pieces that will sell. The mix of the animal print is really lovely.

but i do agree with the silhouettes being the same every season

Well, while this is criticized for looking to soft and feminine and not being cutting-edge enough one should notice that nearly of the late resort and pre-fall collections under McQueen looked similar to this, which is probably because Burton already designed them.

^ That shouldn't be an excuse for continuously producing and recycling similar designs. Have you seen Pre-Fall 2009? That collection stands on its own and is nothing short of spectacular. It could easily have been a RTW collection. McQueen didn't hold back just because it was a resort collection. And even when McQueen's designs were soft, it had strength. I have yet to see that strength come through Sarah's designs.

Maybe we're expecting and asking for too much. Maybe we need to accept the McQueen brand for what it is today. Either way, comparisons will always be made to the legacy left behind by the man himself.

The gowns are pretty, and overall the collection itself has that romanticism that we relate to McQueen. But I don't know. It just lacks that dark aspect that McQueen had and I feel like Sarah has been very repetitive with what she's produced so far. Ok, so she can produce beautiful gowns but what else? McQueen was an excellent tailor who created beautiful clothing but there was more to him than just being a great designer, he really knew his customer well and the type of woman he was dressing. Perhaps I'm judging too harshly considering this is a resort and I'm sure this collection will do well, but I have to say I'm underwhelmed and I feel like I'm going to be repeating the same sentiments each season with Sarah. It's nice, but that's where it ends for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, I feel like this collection is far too safe, too almost commercialized. McQueen's clothing was wearable art. He paid attention to every detail and angle of his clothing. This feels like a sad jungle safari costume in some pieces, and there is a disconnect between the pieces that makes it feel very mishmash and thrown together, a sort of poorly executed idea gone off point. This is resort which I suppose is supposed to be commercial, but commercial was never a word I'd use to describe past collections. I hope that Sarah moves back to the strong, edgy, daring looks that seemed to have a hint of Gothic romance, and away from the pretty, light commercialized looks. She's a good designer, but she is losing McQueen's point of view.

This is a strong collection with her main aesthetic intact while having a new if minor spin on things. There is little need for her designs to be dark or macabre since she is far from that type of person. But yes several looks are a retread and is pretty disappointing. Unless you missed that piece a past season and have a second chance of getting it :P

Is she not just showing what the buyers will end up displaying in the stores and not the spectacle that is shown down the catwalk? Lets be true, caged eyelids were not what was going to be produced.

standard fare for a resort collection methinks but i do enjoy the juxtaposition of those animal prints with that military green.

As must as I love this silhouette it's tried and tested, she hasn't produced a collection yet that hasn't used it. If it reoccurs for spring/summer I think I will right her off as a little tedious which is a great shame.

It's nice, but that is not enough for a brand like this.
And I hate the pants.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->