All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

I didn't mean that you were out yet ... just give them time to go through whatever process they need to do in case you were their second choice, before you call them.

Does anyone know of somewhere to do work experience in London, if you're 15 because everywhere I've looked has said 18 and over only?

Does anyone know of somewhere to do work experience in London, if you're 15 because everywhere I've looked has said 18 and over only?

Read what I posted before. Also with London, a lot of stores won't take people on until they're 18, the rest of the country it's usually 16, so it is even harder here. I know we flat out won't give school kids work experience where I work (Levi's) so I assume a lot of the bigger chain companies will have the same rule. As I said before it's too risky and costly to cover kids insurance wise and too much responsibility. It's just not worth it for them. They're better off having people who they can rely on to do a good job with a good level of maturity. A 15 year old could seem professional at first glance, but when it comes down to being productive they might actually just get in the way or chicken out of doing things. You have to understand it from their point of view I guess.
Aim for independent boutiques or local companies of some kind, or try and get some experience where your parents, parents' friends, aunts/uncles/cousins currently work or where they have contacts.
At 15, it's nice to have ambition of course, but you shouldn't expect to get anything more than something like helping in a shop/school/regular office of some kind unless you have a real good contact there. :flower:

hey does anyone know internship positions available in Canada? The obvious ones to me are the fashion magazines but other than that...

im not in school and dont have experience. I just want to get my feet wet and figure out what I wanna do.

There's some information about internships in Canada ... I think, it's in the previous thread. If you go to that and do a search of that thread you might find it. maybe not specific places to intern ... but I think it was more about requirments for most internships in your country.

i just found a site and applied to magazine and film internships for marketing and pr work.

i saw one for 6 months. isnt that quite long for "free work"?

Yeah. seems to be a bit long. Many are about 2 or 3 months. But I have also heard of some that last the entire semester ... which can be almost that long ... depending on where you are going to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I'm looking for an email for someone at Christopher Kane about internships and helping during LFW but i can't find any contact details anywhere! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Aimeelousie21 ... you may post your request in the Need Contact Info thread. Also, there is a thread about volunteering for Fashion Week and they discuss how to find the opportunities in that thread. Just use the search function and specify 'searh titles only", keywords Contact, week, week and that should get them to pop up.)

I've found contact info to designers on Fashion Week sites sometimes. Usually it's their PR contact ... but that is usually who is organizing the show, anyway and that would be who you would probably talk to if you are just volunteering for the show. For an internship, it would be whoever hires (like HR), but their PR people can probably direct you to the right person. Not sure if LFW has a site that lists the participating designers or not, but if they do, check it out.

I'm in my second year of a Fashion Design course and the course leader has told us that she wont give us a summer holiday project because she wants us all to get internships.
I have no problem with enthusiasm to get one, I just think it'll be impossible to afford living in London for one, two, maybe three months.
Can anyone divulge the cheapest way of living in London?

What's the likelihood of getting an internship somewhere with "some college" and marketable skills in this climate? It's been done and it's been done by the greats.

Most companies in the US want students who are getting college credits for their internships ... so most of them will go to currently enrolled students in a related field.

However, small companies might consider someone not in school, because they don't have an HR department that worries about unpaid internships as most likely being illeagal, unless you are getting college credits. They'll take a chance ... probably don't even know that it might be a violoation of the law.

But, it never hurts to try everything ... you never know, for sure, until they tell you otherwise.

I don't know a lot of things about fashion industry and i haven't seen anything that can help me to understand.
I was just wondering, what's the job of an intern? Concretely, what do they do?
Sorry if it has already been answered :$

An intern is usually someone who is stuyding at college and needs "work experience" for college credit. It's not a real job. It's an arrangement with the company to allow a student to learn more about their chosen feild, right in the workplace. It's usually unpaid, part time (a few hours a week) and temporary (two or three months).

In Europe, it's a bit different ... usually called "work experience", it's often paid and they are not regulated by laws that say you must be getting college credits for it. So,. sometimes people are able to get work experience without being in college.

The purpose of an internship is to learn about how the business works from the inside. You observe while you work. Internships are not just in fashion ... they are offered in almost any type of business ... the porocess and goal is the same.

The work you would do is usually what we call "grunt work". In the case of working at a designer's atelieir or a fashion magazine it might include taking care of the sample clothes, ironing,loading and carrying clothing on racks, delivering things for the company, getting coffee for everyone, answering phones, computer input, photocopying or anything else they need someone to do, which does not require any training.

Hi, I am new here and I am hopping to get information on landing a fashion PR internship. I've already have a couple of places I'm planning to apply to but I still haven't muster up the courage to send out my cover letter and resumes.

If anyone is in the fashion PR field, what do you generally look for in an intern? Are there any "buzz words" you like? Also, if it is not a hassle, could anyone look over my resume and cover letter to give a couple of pointers? Thank you!

I am hoping to do internships this summer (if all goes well) but I was wondering what exactly magazines are looking for on the resume and cover letters? Thanks :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->