All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

If you could choose between these two internships....who would you choose?

Burberry versus Seventh House PR

BTW: I'm a PR student and want to enter the fashion PR field.

I need help choosing and I really want both!

I would pick Burberry unless you want to be 1 of 13 inters running around the city for send outs all day. With Burberry you might get to do some actual work, meaning making copies, or some sort of data entry.

Seventh house takes mostly everyone who applies.

do Burberry, you'll always have time for PR agencies once you have a good name on your CV

Hi, guys. I need your advice. I'm a journalism student in my 3rd year, and I have work experience (for example, I've been doing practical work at L'Officiel Russia). This summer I'd like to have my internship somewhere abroad. In London, to be honest. Do I have a fair chance? Where should I send my applications in the first place? I know it sound like I have no clue, but I've never send applications in international magazines, so I'm interested in everything. Any help will be appreciated. :lucky:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that you get copies of those magazines based in London or Google them to see if they e if they have web sites ... you want their corporate site, not their subscirber site. Look for "employment" or "jobs" ... anything like that and see if they post internship or work experience opportunities. If they do, you will have contact info right there.

If not, call the corporate offices and ask if they have an internship/work experience program and ask who to speak to or where to send your resume /CV. If you can't get any information, I'd attempt to send it to their "human resources/employment" department ... and they will likely be involved in any internships, etc.

Alber Elbaz on internship

"We all eat together at the studio. I have interns who are in charge of the food. At first they were angry. They had their masters degrees in fashion or art and they didn’t feel like they should have to go and buy food. But I said to them, ‘By going out and buying food for everyone, you’ll get to know Paris, and you can practice your French.’ I think when our relationship starts with food bringing people together, it gets deeper. I think relationships get closer when you share more things than work. They talk about desire, they talk about what it is that they feel like having today. We all eat together. I hardly eat out when I am in Paris. I don’t do lunch dates because it cuts my day. I rarely go out now. I rarely do parties. I don’t do dinners for 10 where you talk about the weather. I can’t take it. I’d rather eat at the studio, because we know each other and we won’t talk about the weather . . . So there is a starting point."

Interning for an online mag, online only?

I'm a high school student, and I'm far, far away from any internships. Is it possible that I can help around for an online magazine, kind of like an online unpaid internship?:blush: Does anyone know how I can do this?

Finding internship online is hard. Most of the big online magazines prefer to have their internship work in the office... so submitting article ideas to blogs and other small online magazines is the best way to get busy.

I would suggest to make a list of your favorite blogs and online magazines. Contact them and ask if they accept submissions. Sometimes they will have a page on their website dedicated on submitted article ideas. Look that up and then contact them.

I am curious on any photography internships. Preferably, some in the NY area. I was wondering does anyone know how one can find information on internships with Steven Klein or the like. I know that a student from SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) just got an internship with Steven Klein, and I am bewildered on how he even found that information. Thanks in advance guys.

I am curious on any photography internships. Preferably, some in the NY area. I was wondering does anyone know how one can find information on internships with Steven Klein or the like. I know that a student from SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) just got an internship with Steven Klein, and I am bewildered on how he even found that information. Thanks in advance guys.

A lot of times, job openings and internships may not be posted on web sites or anything at all. It never hurts to go to the web site, get the contact information and send a professional email inquiring about an internship. That also shows that you are really interested in working/interning for that specific company when you seek them out like that.

Or ... at that level (Steven Klein), he might have known someone who knew someone and got recommended. That is a huge factor in fashion .... having good connections.

But reese is right ... contact them directly in a professional manner and inquire if they offer internships.

Good luck ... it's tough. But, I say it doesn't hurt to contact companies and see if they offer unpaid interships without school credit.

In the US it's technically against the labor laws to not pay if there is no school credit. Otherwise, it's considered a job and you have to be paid the minimum wage.

But ... I am thinking that small companies may be more open to it because they don't know any better (no HR department) and they love to get free help. So small start up designers and boutiques, etc. would be a good place to search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bette! Find somewhere that really interests you so they can feel your passion. Networking will be critical for you, but it isn't impossible to succeed!

I don't know the labour laws there, so I can't comment on Canadian companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->