American / United States Fashion Schools

Hey guys does anyone have any information about Pratt right now it is between it, Parsons, or Academy. What arer the people like at Pratt, Parsons, and Academy. Are they nice or art snobs, are they partiers or are they overachievers. I live in the south and I can't really visit these schools so your information would be greatly apreciated. I'm tryin to find the best fit socially for me it will be my first time away from home.

I'm going to visit the Academy December 8th. I live in Ohio so it's going to be one long flight. I'll bring back a full report.

I was really thinking about going to Miami International University of Art & Design but I'm really considering going to The Academy of Art University because of the Fashion Journalism program. I'm just concerned about the San Francisco city compared to Miami. Because I think I would have a better time in Miami but The Academy of Art has a better program.

I have a few questions about parsons, If I'm going to apply for fashion design do I have to apply for the foundation year first? and also If I someone transfers to fashion marketing can they later on declare a minor in fashion design? Is it hard to transfer to parsons or is it better to start as a freshman?
:S

I think if you do fashion design you musyt start out as freshman or already be in a fashion design program at another school that is acreditted (because alot of schools are tricky about transfer credits and your credits from one school might not translate or be enough to be honored by another) But you can take individual classes like at in their continuing education program.

^ok but before I apply for fashion design do I have to apply for the freshman foundation first? :S

I'm about to move to NY to attend Berkeley (fashion marketing)...
Any of you guys know anything interesting about that school?

Can anyone provide me with information about the portfolio for the foundation year at Parsons? I don't know what kind of artwork to include in my portfolio. Will they accept fashion sketches?

Decision: Otis or F.I.T.

I have been looking into various fashion design schools for quite some time now and thought I would go to FIDM because it is close to my current home. But after reading some reviews and general talk of the school, I am rather unimpressed and have now been looking elsewhere.

Now here is my dilema.

Otis seems like a good school, very good reputation, it's close to home, and i have read good things about thier fashion design program.

FIT also seems like a good school with all of the above, except for the fact it is clear accross the United States. I would love to live in NY more than anything, but I am wondering if the extra $10,000 or so a year is worth the cost between schools? If I had my way and money was no option, I would choose either FIT or Parsons but I have to look at this with cost in mind.

So with that said, what does everyone think; Is somewhere like FIT or Parsons worth the extra cash over a school such as Otis? Is job placement better in a city such as New York? Are there more opportunities to be had out there for Fashion design students/graduates?

Anyone who has gone to any of the aforementioned schools and has some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am 22 yrs old and have worked in the surfwear industry before and work as a graphic designer now. Don't know if this info helps in determining where I should go, but it may.

Thanks!

Hey guys is Pratt that goog and what do I do to get into it. Is the portfolio the same as Parsons admissions portfolio.

Hey guys is Pratt that goog and what do I do to get into it. Is the portfolio the same as Parsons admissions portfolio.

i definately think FIT has more to offer than otis. im rather dissapointed with the fashion schools here on the west coast. i considered otis and the fashion design institute and was dissapointed by both not to mention what they are charging for a so-so program. i think if you are serious about fashion and schooling, go to the east coast and it will be more worth your time, money and efforts.

basically what you are paying for with these school, as well as art schools such as art center and calarts are the people you will meet, the connections you can make and the internships they offer to students that non students have to work their a$$ off to hope to get. thats one of the main reasons i chose not to go to art school. i think it's disgusting that is the way the industry works (art as well as fashion) and i dont want to have to be in debt $38,000 a year just to shake some hands and meet and greet.

Thanks for the reply! I happen to agree with what you say about the whole meet and greet aspect of going to college. If I could avoid going to school and just do everything on my own, I would. Which is not to say it isn't an option, but the way business' are going now a days, it seems as though you need some sort of degree to even be an after thought in most industries. I also agree it is about who you know (or brown nose), and not so much about ability. But this is why I am very against traditional colleges in the first place. I know everyone complains; "Oh, Art Institute accepts everyone that applies, blah, blah.." but fact of the matter, school is what you make of it and if you aren't as talented it will show.
Again, thank you for the info. I wouldn't mind making the move out to NY, despite the costs, would be a nice change from being in Cali all my life.

P.S. I just got done looking at your purses earlier today and I must say you are very talented!

lunitweety said:
I'm about to move to NY to attend Berkeley (fashion marketing)...
Any of you guys know anything interesting about that school?

yes i live in nj so i will be commuting, but hope to have an apt in ny soon. i start at berkeley in april

TM85 said:
I was really thinking about going to Miami International University of Art & Design but I'm really considering going to The Academy of Art University because of the Fashion Journalism program. I'm just concerned about the San Francisco city compared to Miami. Because I think I would have a better time in Miami but The Academy of Art has a better program.

Well you should be choosing a school because of it's program and not because you think you would have a better time in Miami. You're going to whereever for school, not to live if that makes sense..

I am currently doing my application to FIT. I am going to start the essay next week. I have posted before about this, but I've been thinking lately if I should even bother applying even though I already paid. My marks were not stellar in high school, I am out of the country (I'm from Canada), and I feel like with just the grades and essay accessible to them, I feel like the decision is really made by what your grades are like. I'm sure I could do a great essay but is it worth bothering? Does anyone know the percentage of people who get in for the fashion merch program?

^^ dont know the exact % that get in, but the high school avg theyre looking for for fashion merch is 90%+

The Academy of Art University

Hello all, I just got back from San Fran, CA visiting the Academy and loved it. I'm definitely sold. Loved the facilities, loved the people, had a great time in the city. Any questions, fire away.

pout306 said:
I am currently doing my application to FIT. I am going to start the essay next week. I have posted before about this, but I've been thinking lately if I should even bother applying even though I already paid. My marks were not stellar in high school, I am out of the country (I'm from Canada), and I feel like with just the grades and essay accessible to them, I feel like the decision is really made by what your grades are like. I'm sure I could do a great essay but is it worth bothering? Does anyone know the percentage of people who get in for the fashion merch program?

i applied to FIT last year, for fashion merch and unfortuantely did not get in, but im planning on transferring there next semester bc its much easier to transfer than to start as a freshman. when i found out i didnt get in i called the school and was determined to find out why, the head of admissions wrote me an email stating that they were extremely interested in giving me a spot, but the problem however was the competition.. FIT is in very high demand. I didnt have great grades during high school but my essay kicked ***..he told me that the decision is based on everything overall including recs, grades, essays, extra curricular, drive etc. it would def be in your best interest to write an essay and also the common ap question 'why do you want to attend..'
if your essay proves that you are going to be a great addition to their community, it means just as much as your grades. so to answer your questions, grades do matter- (not so much SAT's etc.) but it is always nice to have great recommendations and a unique essay that sets you apart. it can only help you in the end. as far as the percentage- i believe they accept a greater majority of early decision or early action applicants- but only do that if you feel you are better than your competition. FIT gets a lot of apps..so its good to get it in before the rush, but if your grades arent AS acceptional, it is sometimes better to wait on rolling decision because the competition is much less intense and its sort of all about luck. I WISH YOU THE BEST! and give it a shot, because you'll never know if you dont try!
hope this helps you :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->