American / United States Fashion Schools

rangerrick14 said:
Hey guys I know this isn't related to admissions to fashion school but I was wondering how does a perosn like Tim Gunn or others who become Chairs of fashion departments get there and what do they do. Do they have that close of a relationship to the students or are they just administrators. Also what is a thesis collection at fashion school for. is it like a thesis for academic book college or is it just visual, what would I have to wright.

Although I don't know about how many of these people land in high positions related to fashion education, I do know one thing since I go to Parsons. Tim Gunn may not be as involved in school activities etc. as much as he used to before Project Runway, but I believe he has a close relationship to students and faculty. Occasionally he might be the guest in class for the day...
Hope that helped :flower:

design management at parsons

does anyone know anything about this course?

I'm applying, it sounds so interesting! The people that I know that go there LOVE IT!

design management at parsons??

Anyone here going or thinking of applying? It sounds really interesting...

emiika said:
did anyone apply to FIT for january 07?

I'm applying for Fall '07. I get my bachelor's in the Spring so I'm applying for their one year design program.

Hey everyone! i just read all 12 pages of this thread and found a lot of the info handy! I had more questions though.
I'm Canadian currently in my first year of university at The University of Western Ontario. I am studying media, but applied to FIT already for the Fashion Merchandise program for September 2007. Do they just send you back a package with like guidelines to write the essay and stuff? After reading about how so many people didn't get in with high GPA's makes me nervous becuase my marks coming into university were not amazing and I am hoping tranferring from here makes it easier for me to get in (even though my marks here are not amazing either)? Also, when do they usually accept students? Should I call the Registar office there and talk to someone about my application and stuff? Also I have retail experince I don't know if that matters but I never mentioned it when I applied on SUNY because it didn't give me an option to so how would I let them know I know some stuff? If anyone can answer any of these questions it would be VERY much appreciated! Thank you!

i noticed that no one has posted posted Academy of Art University.

i hear that their name will blow up pretty soon. Very strong fashion department with an international faculty. the head of the fashion department came from london teaching at Central Saint Martins. also they're the only school that invites the graduates to show their collections in New York Fashion Week. This has just recently started and it gets better every year. What makes me wierded out is that not even the top US fashion schools :FIT or Parsons do such a thing.

I'm from South Africa, is it difficult for me to get into a US fashion school?

Qtinez7 said:
i noticed that no one has posted posted Academy of Art University.

i hear that their name will blow up pretty soon. Very strong fashion department with an international faculty. the head of the fashion department came from london teaching at Central Saint Martins. also they're the only school that invites the graduates to show their collections in New York Fashion Week. This has just recently started and it gets better every year. What makes me wierded out is that not even the top US fashion schools :FIT or Parsons do such a thing.

Thats the school I want to go to in January because they have Fashion Journalism as a major. But I have only heard bad things about the school so I have been aprehensive about attending.

pout306 said:
Hey everyone! i just read all 12 pages of this thread and found a lot of the info handy! I had more questions though.
I'm Canadian currently in my first year of university at The University of Western Ontario. I am studying media, but applied to FIT already for the Fashion Merchandise program for September 2007. Do they just send you back a package with like guidelines to write the essay and stuff? After reading about how so many people didn't get in with high GPA's makes me nervous becuase my marks coming into university were not amazing and I am hoping tranferring from here makes it easier for me to get in (even though my marks here are not amazing either)? Also, when do they usually accept students? Should I call the Registar office there and talk to someone about my application and stuff? Also I have retail experince I don't know if that matters but I never mentioned it when I applied on SUNY because it didn't give me an option to so how would I let them know I know some stuff? If anyone can answer any of these questions it would be VERY much appreciated! Thank you!

They usually accept people around April or so. They should send you a letter stating what information they'll need from your school and also your essay. (Transcript etc.) But don't take my word for it since it's been 2 years since I went through this; call them. Always call them, most of their offices are usually open 10-4 (Call around this time because most of the people at the office are really lazy. I worked at the Student Life office for the summer and we received a transfered call from several students asking about registration. Note: Student Life handles campus activities and such... We even received a call from a student in Japan who hadn't received any information and it was a month before school started. That is really really bad and she got her call transferred to us from the people that were supposed to be ones helping her.)

So make sure to call multiple times and always confirm anything. Especially paperwork. I've never had the problem with paperwork but I know several people that had to re-register ALL of their classes because their paperwork got lost and FIT assumed the student doesn't go here anymore.

To take about your application; call the Admissions office. For transfer credit questions call Registrar. For class registration questions call the Registration office. For anything money related call the Bursar. For dorming questions call Residential Life.

Unfortunately FIT doesn't really care about your work experience. You can plug it in your essay or something though.

Hope that helps

Delita said:
They usually accept people around April or so. They should send you a letter stating what information they'll need from your school and also your essay. (Transcript etc.) But don't take my word for it since it's been 2 years since I went through this; call them. Always call them, most of their offices are usually open 10-4 (Call around this time because most of the people at the office are really lazy. I worked at the Student Life office for the summer and we received a transfered call from several students asking about registration. Note: Student Life handles campus activities and such... We even received a call from a student in Japan who hadn't received any information and it was a month before school started. That is really really bad and she got her call transferred to us from the people that were supposed to be ones helping her.)

So make sure to call multiple times and always confirm anything. Especially paperwork. I've never had the problem with paperwork but I know several people that had to re-register ALL of their classes because their paperwork got lost and FIT assumed the student doesn't go here anymore.

To take about your application; call the Admissions office. For transfer credit questions call Registrar. For class registration questions call the Registration office. For anything money related call the Bursar. For dorming questions call Residential Life.

Unfortunately FIT doesn't really care about your work experience. You can plug it in your essay or something though.

Hope that helps
I'm applying to the same course, also Fall 07

Did you mark your application for an early decision?

academy of art

TM85 said:

Thats the school I want to go to in January because they have Fashion Journalism as a major. But I have only heard bad things about the school so I have been aprehensive about attending.

wow! really? i think its jsut like every school. everyone says bad stuff about every school. lol. but it has a really strong fashion department. VERY STRONG! and i have a friend who is doing fashion journalism at the moment but she is thinkg about going straight into fashion merch tho. do you have any questions that you may want me to ask her about the journalism major?

oh and so far! i really like it.

Qtinez7 said:
wow! really? i think its jsut like every school. everyone says bad stuff about every school. lol. but it has a really strong fashion department. VERY STRONG! and i have a friend who is doing fashion journalism at the moment but she is thinkg about going straight into fashion merch tho. do you have any questions that you may want me to ask her about the journalism major?

oh and so far! i really like it.

Yeah I have alot of question LOL do they have alot of contacts in the Fashion industry. Is it more about you major course's or your General Education course. Also I would like to know what the student life is like and what San Fransico is Like Im coming all the way from the east Coast (Philadelphia) and that would be a HUGE change for me.

Hey guys I've been contacted by a admissions counselor at Academy of Art University and I was just wondring before I commit to it is it a really good school. They let anybody in does that bring the work down or is it as goo as FIT or Parsons or Pratt.

TM85 said:

Yeah I have alot of question LOL do they have alot of contacts in the Fashion industry. Is it more about you major course's or your General Education course. Also I would like to know what the student life is like and what San Fransico is Like Im coming all the way from the east Coast (Philadelphia) and that would be a HUGE change for me.

ya ther is A LOT OF CONTACTS! esp since we;re near L.a. ands tuff. i know we're NOT in l.a. but that doesnt stop us from anything. and san francisco is a smaller, and chiller new york. its so awesome. so diverse. evrywhere i walk i hear people talking in different languages everyday. so well rounded. its the most diverse city in the world. and the school is cool. the dorm is cool too cuz im in one that is smack in the middle of the city. there are many dorms that have shuttles that pick you up and take you to ur classes or any other departments or dorms so its free transportation. but what frustrates me is that i hate how its not an enclosed campus so its frustrating trying to meet people out of your dorm. but its still really cool. the work load is crazy tho. i love how they teach here. you really have to prepare urself. well that is all i can answer now. i havent seen my friend yet but i will soon. ill get back to you again. any other questions?

academy or art

rangerrick14 said:
Hey guys I've been contacted by a admissions counselor at Academy of Art University and I was just wondring before I commit to it is it a really good school. They let anybody in does that bring the work down or is it as goo as FIT or Parsons or Pratt.

hey! yes i know they do let kinda anyone in. but that doesnt really mean anything cuz it depends if the person applying is really into the school or not. not just bullsh*t it. the thing is that there is like a 90% drop out rate for freshmen because the workload and projects are so intense..WHICH MAKES IT AN AWESOME SCHOOL. thats how they weed the ppl out and stuff. and it works because the upper classmen that i have met are just all amazing. i haevnt met a person so just is here to just...go to school. they're the best people to talk to and get inspired by also, as well as the faculty which is pretty amazing. but yes. ppl get in easy, but its up to those ppl who get accepted to actually keep up with school. i mean it is an ACADEMY, so the name really means something. its a good school. and for FASHION!. the fashion department is in fact the strongest!!! so strong. the director came from central saint martins in london. which was the school i was gona go to if not parsons or instituto maringoni. well she is kinda competing with london because that school is the only school that gets invited to show in the london fashion week. we...academy of art are the ONLY art school that gets invited to new york fashion week. not fit parsons or pratt. also we're competing with the knit wear departing in italia, instituo maringoni-the other school i want to go to. and in about 2 years our fashion department will blow up as parsons ... so how awesome would that be to graduate within the peak?

Qtinez7 said:
hey! yes i know they do let kinda anyone in. but that doesnt really mean anything cuz it depends if the person applying is really into the school or not. not just bullsh*t it. the thing is that there is like a 90% drop out rate for freshmen because the workload and projects are so intense..WHICH MAKES IT AN AWESOME SCHOOL. thats how they weed the ppl out and stuff. and it works because the upper classmen that i have met are just all amazing. i haevnt met a person so just is here to just...go to school. they're the best people to talk to and get inspired by also, as well as the faculty which is pretty amazing. but yes. ppl get in easy, but its up to those ppl who get accepted to actually keep up with school. i mean it is an ACADEMY, so the name really means something. its a good school. and for FASHION!. the fashion department is in fact the strongest!!! so strong. the director came from central saint martins in london. which was the school i was gona go to if not parsons or instituto maringoni. well she is kinda competing with london because that school is the only school that gets invited to show in the london fashion week. we...academy of art are the ONLY art school that gets invited to new york fashion week. not fit parsons or pratt. also we're competing with the knit wear departing in italia, instituo maringoni-the other school i want to go to. and in about 2 years our fashion department will blow up as parsons ... so how awesome would that be to graduate within the peak?

Qtinez, What about the cost? I've been speaking with the Academy of Art in San Francisco for about a month now, and I've recieved my packet from them. But I'm REALLY worried about how expensive it is. I'll be relying solely on Financial Aide and other than that I have NO idea what I'm going to do for money. I guess bartend on weekends. I love New York and I've started my application process for FIT as well. But the more I talked to them the idea of California is really starting to grow on me. And I've been hearing so many amazing things about the school recently. But money, money, money. That is what I'm worried about. Any incite on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->