Canadian Schools ... for Fashion

papergown said:
Does anyone know more about Kwantlen?

i'm planning on going there next year. out of all the fashion schools in western canada, kwantlen seems the most industry oriented with the most industry cred for getting jobs in the fashion industry.. they have a lot of industry linked projects. to me, that's what getting a fashion education is all about: the contacts. and i guess going to a university college is more traditional than going to a fashion "school". and because the program is part of kwantlen, you can take electives unrelated to fashion. then there's all the business and marketing aspects of the program, which are very important. and the 3rd year internship, which no other program in my area has. AND the program is very affordable.

then again, blanche macdonald (opening a new campus downtown) and helen lefeaux both have had very successful graduates. the art institute is very new and i've been to their orientation. the facilities were very very nice, but the costs are waaay too high. overall, my first choice would be to go to kwantlen.

I'm so glad I read through this thread! I've been told to look into Ryerson, but I never really thought much about it until today. I went to the website and the Fashion Communications degree seems to fit what I'm interested in perfectly. I love art, but mainly graphic design and putting a fashionable spin on it.

However, I read that the first year of the program requires textiles, can anyone tell me how intense it is? I've done textiles in before, but it was pretty basic and some time ago (Grade 9!).

Can anyone in the Fashion Communications program at Ryerson tell me what the program is like? And what kind of careers do graduates generally go into?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom! :flower:

I've looked into the Okanagan Fashion Institute in Kelowna, BC...it sounds pretty good from what I've heard. Anyone hear anything negative about it??

DernierCri: I graduated from the Design side but knew lots of Communications people. We take the same courses in first year: Patternmaking, Sewing, Illustration, etc. It's a bit tough if you don't know to sew very well but I would say that you wouldn't be alone! Some Comm. grads I know are now unemployed :P but others are stylists, marketing (for a fashion comp.), working at a magazine, and event planners. In the upper years you take a lot of computer, graphic design, typography, design history, marketing, event planning, photography, etc.

somegirl said:
DernierCri: I graduated from the Design side but knew lots of Communications people. We take the same courses in first year: Patternmaking, Sewing, Illustration, etc. It's a bit tough if you don't know to sew very well but I would say that you wouldn't be alone! Some Comm. grads I know are now unemployed :P but others are stylists, marketing (for a fashion comp.), working at a magazine, and event planners. In the upper years you take a lot of computer, graphic design, typography, design history, marketing, event planning, photography, etc.

Yeah, it might be a bit tough for me to get through that first year with all of those mandatory foundation studies. The thing is though, everything in the Communications program 2nd year and onwards is totally my cup of tea! So I should probably just try and stick it out.

I was wondering though, what's the atmosphere at Ryerson/in the program like? Was it easy to meet new people and make contacts?

Thanks for all your help! One more year of HS to think this all through... :blush:

Ryerson can be pretty frustrating at times, kinda like a high school...and it's a weird program because there are lots of mature students right alongside the 17 years olds...

But you know, everything is what you make it. I've interned alongside students from Parsons and FIT and I knew as much as they did about construction and textiles and whatnot, so you'd get a lot og bang for your buck. Plus, there are a lot of industry connections. A lot.

Gl on your application!

this fall i'm going to be studing business at ut or western, but is it possible for me to take design courses at ryerson, too?

you can take night school courses, but it wouldn't necessarily be for credit

littlemissmagic said:
this fall i'm going to be studing business at ut or western, but is it possible for me to take design courses at ryerson, too?

You realize that business at Western doesn't start until 3rd year? Unless you're talking about ACS instead of Ivey? I did my undergrad at Ivey..Love Western. Its way more fun that U of T. :D I go to U of T right now for law and it doesn't even compare (aka so much more boring).

Wish I was in fashion though like you lucky people:flower:

So... how goes it??

hey i'm just wondering as a fellow graphic design and art student, how are all of you in design/art/fashion schools enjoying it? Which school do you go to? Pros/Cons? and What are your plans for the future?

I just finished my second year at the University of Alberta BDes program for visual communications design and got accepted to Emily Carr Institute for Art and Design for the same degree program. At ECIAD they also have a transfer program so i'm going to apply and see if I can go to Chelsea College of Art or Central St Martins in London next next year. After i hope to move to London to work for a design firm or magazine. I freaking Love what i do but wanted to be more creatively challenged so i applied to ECIAD. i might even pursue a masters in print design afterwards.

sorry for blabing! but i just wanted to have a sort of catalgue of opinions and experiences from various schools and backgrounds!

So, should I pick george brown or seneca-coz both are good fashion school.

International Academy of Design - Toronto !!!

Hello,

I currently live in Toronto , canada. I know the schools for fashion here are Ryerson , George Brown , Seneca and IADT. ive been accepted into George Brown , but I am thinking that I might want to go to school only part time instead of full time. I know that international academy of design offers part time courses. But the draw back is that it is VERY costly! I will be working full time , and am not sure if going to school full time would balance in my schedule. I would like to know from any body, since i have heard good things about this school, is it really good ? How would one finance this ? Any feedback would be great

Hi! I'm a current university student, going into 2nd year, but I'm planning on going to college for fashion after I get my degree.

My question is about Humber and the Fashion Arts program. I'm not interested in designing...and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best with numbers. So I really don't know exactly what I want to do in the fashion industry, but I just want to be in it!

I've looked into most fashion programs (in Ontario anyway!) and Humber's seems to be broad and I'm just attracted to it the most. But I realize that it's probably not as credible as some others...so if anyone knows more about the program, I'd love to get some input! Thanks!

hey

i j ust graduated from the humber college fashion arts program!!! i think its excellent if you want to get in to the business side of fashion such as buying , marketing , visual merchandising etc.... let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for replying kem! I'll definitely send questions your way if I have any! Which...I most likely will!

Hey I was just wondering if any of the other people who applied to Ryerson got accepted for next fall. Lemme know...

DontSleep said:
Hey I was just wondering if any of the other people who applied to Ryerson got accepted for next fall. Lemme know...

I just got my acceptance letter the other day. I'm so excited. I'll have to move to Toronto from BC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5starnoe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->