Canadian Schools ... for Fashion

Wow, a fellow george browner!! im in second semester too! well im taking 4 classes instead of 4 cause the 7 course requirement was too much first semester. I feel like with this program you would have to put your all in it and basically not have a job. its so hard , but i love it and am learning sooo much. trust me , i know how you feel!

kem,

are you in fashion design or fashion management? i want to do that too so that i can continue to pursue my full-time degree, but i don't know if they'll let me.

Applying as a Mature student is JUST as frustrating. I have no choice but to attend the Art Institute as I am only 18, and it's driving me crazy! Otherwise, I have to wait until I am 21 and even then I do not know what would happen. Plus the Art Institute is taking $25,000 from me for an 18 MONTH DIPLOMA PROGRAM! I really want to travel abroad but it's incredibly costly and I am depending on OSAP...

Does anyone know if OSAP helps you out when studying abroad? If so, I may resort to the Art Institute of New York as it would be better than Toronto if anything, either that or Miami International University of Art and Design.

Does anyone know if the U.S requirements are anything like Toronto? Or if Mature Student status even exists?

I am supposed to be starting at AI in April... do you think this may mean automatic acceptance at a U.S campus of theres?

ugh I'm soo confused right now! Btw, this is for Fashion marketing. I would either like to get into fashion journalism or Fashion PR

Osap only pays for school within Ontario nothing abroad I'm pretty sure..Osap also doesn't give out money to anybody you have to fit the criteria that you 'need money' and your parents have to make under a certain amount of money etc.

Yes, I know what requirements you need to meet to be eligible for assistance from OSAP. It's just a matter of whether or not they would assist you when studying abroad. I guess not. :(

Why dont you apply to george brown , seneca or ryerson?

I go to Kwantlen (first year)! It's a university college, previously a college, and now trying to get permission to become a university. What do you want to know?

Omg II'm sooooooo pissed i wrote this big post and when i wanted to post it told me to refresh & sign in again, and it's all gone & I couldn't even copy my messege it becouse the STUPID thing won't let you copy..

Ok I'll shorten a lot what i wrote
So I'm going to be in gr 12 this fall & I want to move to Toronto to study Fashion (like merchendising) I live in N.B. (originally from Bulgaria moved here 4 years ago) and i was looking at school while ago & the best scool/program I liked was ryerson, but I don't know if I really want to do it for 4 years and bigger program is the portfolio which'll be impossible to do becouse i can not draw to sazve my life, NONE drawing skills whatsoever (that's why I want to do the Merchendising program) so other options were Senece for Merchendising & George Brown for menegement.. I've head posotive things about both but I want to ask from ppl that are currently going there/went what are they opinions & etc & which school/program do you think it's better...
& also I have other questions like the requirments (are they strict about them anyways) (& what exacly is mature age), & applying, price, also housing & etc I know some will be like "well go on the site" I have but the info there is not enough (& it hasn't been updated) & you know it's different somebody that has actually gone there to tell you..So if you can give me some info on both schools (or other good ones?) I'll really appreciate it!!

Hi Betty,
If you type "George Brown" or other schools in "Search this thread" at the top of the page, you can find some members who posted about the schools in this very thread...
Or you can look in the previous pages of this thread to find someone who's talking about the school you want to go to

As for info about applications, price, housing, etc. you really should ask the school since they will be able to give you precise answers. You can either phone or e-mail them if the info is not on their websites
I think there are only a few universities in Canada that offer housing to students, like dormitories--most schools have their students live off-campus and you'll have to find that yourself, look in newspapers, etc...

Sometimes you can also find lists of graduates from programs you're interested in; and you can e-mail them and ask what they think of the program... Good luck :lucky:

This thread is so informative, It's great! I am really intersted in pursuing a career in fashion, mainly in the buying or merchandising direction. I am just trying to figure out the best school/s to study at , which apparently isn't a simple answer! I have looked into Ryerson and it looks like a top option. I've worked in retail for several years and worked my way up to visual merchandising responsibilities. However aside from that , I don't have much to put into a portfolio. I was thinking of taking a fashion course at the VCC to gain experiance and build a portfolio, and then attend Ryerson afterwards. I would LOOOVEEE input into wheather the course would help my chances into getting into Ryerson , or even if attending Ryerson would be bennificial to become a buyer or merchandiser. Is taking the course at college enough?!!If anyone has already made it and knows what employers look for interms of education please let me know!!!
Thank-YOU!

fashion schools/college/universities in Canada

Hi there....I don't really know if I'm posting in the right place...

anyway, I'd like to see anyone can provide any info. about fashion schools/college/universities in Canada(preferably in Toronto or Vancouver) that offers fashion design diploma/degree programs...since I had taken 1 yr of fashion design course in hong kong before...

thanks a lot!

Vancouver!

HEY EVERYONE!!

I was just googling Canadian fashion schools to see what is out there now and came across this old thread. I used to be semi-active here and then I don't know what happened!

Anyway, I just read through the ENTIRE thread again and I can't believe Vancouver School Board has not been mentioned. Plus there is other info not in here about Vancouver also so if you are thinking about this area, read on!

VSB has a part time evening certificate program offered in fashion arts. You do NOT have to be a part of the diploma to take the courses so you can take only what interests you however if you want an actual diploma you can do that too. Either way you get a certificate of completion for each course you finish. There are sewing, patternmaking, illustration, merchandising, etc. Everything you need to decide if you want to go further to a full time program or to start out for yourself cheaply. I want to mention especially that these are REAL courses, taught by REAL instructors. Infact there is a Haute Couture Pattern Drafting and a Haute Couture Pattern Draping course offered by a very successful couturier who teaches at Kwantlen (VCC too I think) and has been on review boards for the accreditation society. She tells me she teaches these courses for VSB because she enjoys the students so much, she says they have more passion than the ones at the university.
http://www.continuinged.ca/infoFashionDesignGarmentConstruction.htm

Vancouver Community College (VCC) offers a 2 year part time evening, a full time 1 year, and a full time 2 year program. They are a very good school, I have never heard something bad about them other than the fact that they are not a degree program.
http://continuinged.vcc.ca/fashionArts/programs.htm

Kwantlen offers the degree, as has been said, but also a 2 year diploma course. If you think you might want university but are not sure I'd recommend Kwantlen vs VCC simply because it is seamless into the degree program whereas you would probably have to redo stuff if you went to VCC.
http://www.kwantlen.ca/applied-design/fashion.html

I have talked to some companies out here and their policy to hire from Kwantlen, usually interns who go on as full time employees. Kwantlen is REALLY highly respected out here. It is more business than art though so I think when choosing between the two fashion degree programs you have to ask if you are more into the art side or the business side? Ryerson vs. Kwantlen. Both are great schools and you will get a job afterwards unless you are completed useless :wink: but who are you and what side do you want to nurture?

I can not speak highly enough of the two pattern courses I mentioned through VSB. If you are considering applying to a school it might be worth your time if you live in Vancouver to take these courses first. Most universities teach you to manipulate patterns, etc, or computer pattern manipulation, but do not teach you the technical skills of how to draft patterns from any set of measurements. Two girls who are in highschool took these courses this year and one has already heard back from, and was accepted to, the London College of Fashion in the UK -- they were impressed with her technical skills. I know of another student who went to FIT after taking these draping courses and she said that her instructors only knew pattern manipulation and her technical drafting skills were much better than their's. So even if you are more artsy, don't plan to ever draft a pattern, having this knowledge will help you IMMENSELY. The drafting course is only $350 from Sept-March and the draping course is $250 from April-June. Plus, as if you vancouverites needed anymore convincing, the instructor is getting up there in age and has told me she does not know how much longer she will teach for (she's been teaching the courses at VSB for almost 30 years)

After living here, talking to companies, designers, and past students I have not heard much about Helen Lefeaux, John Casablancas, or any of the others...nothing bad, nor good...almost like they don't exist. EXCEPT I have heard bad things about Blanche MacDonald. Not that it is a bad school perse but that, as far as the fashion department goes, that it is SERIOUSLY overpriced and not worth it, with VCC or VSB being the better choices for a short program.

I hope this has helped everyone!!

Thanks so much for the info, rockitgirl
I haven't ever heard of VSB actually
The price for the time period is awesome

On their website the drafting courses are separated into 4 levels/courses (8 sessions)... Each course is $129, so that would be $516 if you did all 4...

You wrote the price for the drafting course is $350 Sept-March --are the prices different for the fall/winter seasons ?? And is the $350 for all 4 courses under pattern drafting...

Sorry my mistake , you are just referring to the haute couture courses...
drafting + draping

I noticed the couture drafting is not on the website :unsure: just draping
http://www.continuinged.ca/infoFashionDesignGarmentConstruction.htm

Oh yes sorry, the haute couture drafting course is not eligible for credit in their certificate program and that was a link directly to the certificate info. It will be offered again in September.

I never took the other courses, the haute couture drafting is really detailed and you will learn much more. If you want to go more into mainstream pattern drafting after that you can simply buy the textbook they use in the other courses and with your couture knowledge working through it will be a breeze (unless of course you want the certificate).

I also forgot to mention that Capilano College in North Van has a really unique textiles arts program that is worth looking at. It is literally the art of textiles, creating fabrics, weaving, dying, etc. Also, as of April 25 it is now Capilano University so I would not be surprised if in the next couple years they transitioned this program into a degree:
http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/programs/textile-arts/Home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
are you taking the textiles course there?^ it seems interesting...
i think there is one in Abbotsford too.. and one in Banff

could you tell me if the couture course is all hand-sewing? VSB's sewing courses in the certificate program seem pretty good too --i don't really know much about sewing. but if it's the same as what you learn in the couture course, better to take just the couture course :heart: i really don't need the certificate and would rather take one course than a whole bunch
pressed for time over here

if there is anything else from your experience, would love to hear it !

The couture courses are (1) Drafting and (2) Draping. The instructor gives some sewing tips but it is not a sewing course, they are patternmaking courses.

I am not taking the Capilano course, that type of stuff is not where my passion lays. However I know a girl that went there and got her to describe it to me and it sounds really fascinating if you are into that stuff.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
I will have to call them for more details
I'd love to take the couture drafting
I'm amazed just drafting takes that long.. Sept - March...

I assumed there would be some basic sewing instruction, like for example for connecting all the pieces/patterns together, to see if they actually fit the body or not
And I'm assuming this is also for women's wear than men's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->