Dior Homme by Kris Van Assche

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
LVMH seems ready to cash in Hedi's un-salable hype with Kris Van Assche's new Dior Homme accessories lines

Dior Homme Plans Accessories Growth

Published: Friday, March 30, 2007
By Miles Socha
PARIS — Fueled by a "fresh point of view," courtesy of designer Kris Van Assche, Dior Homme plans to continue its expansion drive by further developing categories such as footwear and leather goods and marching into new territories.

So says Dior chief executive Sidney Toledano, who on Thurs*day confirmed a WWD report that Van Assche will succeed Hedi Slimane as the brand's artistic director.

An alumnus of Dior Homme who worked beside Slimane for seven years, Van Assche starts work at the French house on Monday, responsible for ready-to-wear and all manner of accessories. He will not have purview over men's fragrances and skin care, as did Slimane.

Terms of the multiyear contract were not disclosed, and Dior has yet to announce when Van Assche will show his first collection. The next men's fashion week in Paris is slated for June 28 to July 1.

The 30-year-old Antwerp, Bel*gium, native, who launched a signature collection in Paris in 2005, also will continue with that business, which will remain independent of Dior. Van Assche declined to give sales figures, but said his line is sold in 160 doors in Asia, Europe and North America.

"I feel very privileged to be asked to join Dior," Van Assche said. "I have a tremendous respect for the house, its heritage and its know-how."

The split between Slimane and Dior, first reported in WWD, created shock in the industry and underscored the tensions that often fester between strong-minded designers and brand management. As reported, negotiations to renew Slimane's contract at Dior Homme, which expired in July, have been protracted, complex and often tense.

According to sources, Slimane was eager to continue his successful collaboration with Dior, but contingent on the launch of a signature brand. Paramount issues for the designer for both projects were creative freedom and design integrity. But sensing a gulf of disagreement on many key issues, the designer ceased discussions with Dior earlier this month, the sources said.

Slimane is said to be saddened to leave Dior behind but steadfast in his conviction that designers must safeguard their trademarks and creative boundaries. He could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Asked if the change in designer would impact the business, Toledano replied, "Not at all. The brand momentum is strong. I'm very, very confident. [Van Assche] has a very good approach, and he will show it with his collection."

Toledano could not be drawn into particulars about negotiations with Slimane but hinted at demands that Dior considered excessive. "We could not reach an agreement," he said. "At one point, we had to move on."

Indeed, Dior Homme, which now counts 26 freestanding and leased departments, continues to expand its network. A freestanding store opened recently in Nagoya, Japan, and other boutiques are slated to make their debuts this year in Macao and the Landmark in Hong Kong, Dior Homme's second location in that city. "It's not a niche business. It's a broad business," Toledano said.

The executive said Van Assche's mission would be to continue cultivating Dior's "edginess" within its existing codes and to continue reaching out to a wide audience, "from young men to more mature men."

A fashion graduate of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, Van Assche worked for Slimane first at Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Homme and followed him in 2001 to LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton for the launch of Dior Homme, which electrified the men's wear scene and catapulted Slimane to fashion stardom.

On Thursday, Van Assche declined all talk about Slimane but in previous interviews, he has praised his experiences working at his side. "It was very intense and very extreme. Hedi's a perfectionist, so you learn a lot from that," he said. "I was very, very happy to be working in those big fashion houses. It was huge. It totally changed my life."

Van Assche won raves for his debut signature collection, which featured tight-fitting three-piece suits that were elegant but approachable. Forays into tango and poetic themes have received less critical success.

"Men's wear is so much about detail and proportion," he told WWD's sister publication, DNR, earlier this year. "It's about millimeters and centimeters. You can't hide a bad shoulder under a flashy fabric."

On Thursday, Van Assche said it's too early to talk about his plans for Dior Homme. However, he has described his approach as "a balance between elegance and comfort. That's just how I am. It's not a choice."

from wwd.com

Lena said:
"Men's wear is so much about detail and proportion," he told WWD's sister publication, DNR, earlier this year. "It's about millimeters and centimeters. You can't hide a bad shoulder under a flashy fabric."
Don't they mean brother publication?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sad. I looked at Kris Van Assche's collections from the previous seasons, it is all disheartening. Dior Homme will no longer be an autonomous line within the realm of brand, it will become another Gucci, LV, YSL, etc.

I am interested in seeing these accessories though, hopefully they will be Slimane-esque.

Translation from Dior: "we want to expand, to make both t-shirts that will be sold to hardcore kinny teenagers *and* suits for older rich men who will be attracted by THE brand. Of course, production will be moved in Turkey, and instructions will be given to italian factories for them to use cheaper fabrics and workmanship. We'll open new outlets, and, of course, we'll make them cheaper than the stupid ones Hedi designed."

Translation from Van Assche "My clothes don't sell well [maybe because the fit is mad, the design is bland, and the prices don't make sense for a new designer] so I decided to earn money when Dior offered me the job, probably because I want to survive. I won't do anything interesting at Dior, I'll follow instructions I'll be given by LVMH and no latter than June everybody will be able to see a wider blander silhouette. All the press will kiss our bum and say that, after all, it's still great without Hedi, because they need LVMH ads."

etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically Dior Homme is looking to become more mainstream?:innocent:

thanks for posting the article lena...

interesting to know he is keeping his own label open.....

i wonder how long it will be before lvmh owns 100% off his own house like they do m.Jacobs and galliano...

:ermm:...

^Ian (l)

^ Softgrey: Hey I don't think we need to be negative, Hedi has a very strong community behind him, from loyal costumers to editors and shops...
A lot of designers are independant and have a really good business: Ann, Dries, Raf, and now - although I don't like him - Ford. I hope Hedi saved a lot of money during the Dior times, so that he'll be able to found a small yet efficient company.
Plus some collaborations between companies and designers are sometimes quite successful: Diesel seems to cooperate well with Margiela...

I just hope they keep it all skinny. I weigh in the negatives just to look good in some of their stuff (j'adore it). :lol:

But KvH own brand is worst comapre to DH. I don't see the point!!

:heart:

I like Hedi but it'll be interesting to see a new DH,we should look at the bright side.Just wait and see!

mkd1187 said:
Like thats even possible...:innocent:

LOOL.. so true, I can't believe some people still see DH under Hedi as cutting edge fashion.

Even though i agree with belletriste in some cases, i can't say i care alot about this.. DH has never been IT, for me, but i might get some from the S/S when it goes on sale, some of the sheer-stuff is great.. I won't jump to any conclusion before i see the new collection

However, i do consider Hedi Slimane a talented designer and hope he'll do well in future w/ his own brand. I think he would make fabolous women's

belletrist said:
Translation from Van Assche "My clothes don't sell well [maybe because the fit is mad, the design is bland, and the prices don't make sense for a new designer]

I'm assuming from this quote that you've never seen in person, tried on or bought any KVA.

I think Van Assche's comment is just a big joke in my opinion... even in Hedi's times I found it a tad bit too contrived how they always underlined their atelier and couture savoir-faire, it simply doesn't translate into anything else but lavish embroidery (Kris has had a couple such pieces, like a clover-embroidered waistcoat or a shirt with rose-embroidery in his own collection, too).

I also have to attest that Van Assche's clothing is not very well made, it's actually made in the same Belgian factory that also does Branquinho menswear and Raf Simons. Of course you can't hide a bad shoulder underneath a flashy fabric, but if I had to compare Kris' construction to anything from Taralis, Hedi's other former right-hand man, it simply can't reach the same level of quality (both in terms of fabric and shoulder/canvassing construction).

Dior is dead. And just when I started to like my screnname again...

^ Dior Homme's debut was "it" or whatever you call it. Even in Paris, as far as I can remember, very few people (the one who go to Colette and so) knew about it (and I'm not talking about my town, Cannes, where almost nobody knew him, although a few stores carried his stuff since Follow Me). I remember something changed after SS 05, don't know hy, suddenly saw plent of young skinny boys - mainly bourgeois - tucked in their skinny jeans and listening to vintage rock, trolling inside the dior shops and putting dior ads on their blogs explaining how this was real beauty.

^ Honestly, I found KvA jackets/tailored stuff well made, but nothing new or fantastic. But I must say everything else is soo boring - in my humble opinion. The Love Hurts stuff just made me want to laugh...

^ Dior Homme, even the latest collections, were far beyond the everage fashion collection - D&G and the likes. But it's certainly not what it used to be.

belletrist, that was brillant :heart:

just_me said:
LOOL.. so true, I can't believe some people still see DH under Hedi as cutting edge fashion.

But it is relatively "cutting-edge" compared to what DH will become, judging from this article. Although it is somewhat mainstream now, I think it could become even more mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->