Dry/Raw Denim - The Nudiephile Thread!

FrankieP

Just keep running...
Reaction score
Couldn't find any existing threads on dry/raw denim here, which suprised me as they've become such a cult fashion icon recently, so I've created one.. a very special place for all us Nudiephiles to gather and chat about our smelly, filthy jeans! :lol:

This is a thread for all dry denim chat, and is not Nudie exclusive. There are a good few brands out there now making dry denim, and I'll make a website list down the bottom of those I can think of. Some brands such as Tsubi and Blue Cult also have the odd dry denim style out, we can post in here too those that we find, as it's always great to find something different and new!

I thought this thread could be a place to talk about..

B) Dry denim types (dry stretch, selvedge, etc)
B) Cuts and styles of jeans, style/brand comparisons
B) Tips and techniques for breaking in your jeans and patina development
B) Places to buy your dry denim
B) Questions, answers, and oh-sh*t-Mum's-washed-me-jeans emergencies!

http://www.nudiejeans.com/start.php
http://www.denimbirds.com/
http://www.evisu.com/
http://www.acnejeans.com/
http://www.cheapmonday.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
we should add APC to the list: www.apc.fr
Selvedge denim for under $150 a pair, and I heard Hedi Slimane modelled his Dior Homme jeans after them!

i'm washing my one-wash H&M 'Sliqs' for the first time tomorrow :woot:
and i'm currently working on a pair of APC Rescues

Thanks, Fashion_Boi, will add APC to the list.

Washing your H&M's tomorrow will be exciting, do you have any pics? You'd better take some now so that you have before and afters's to show us! How long have you been working on these?

These are the Tsubi Raw Dry Lean Beans I have. The denim is stiffer and thicker than Nudie's, and I think it'll take longer to break in. I love the Lean Bean cut though, so was stoked when they brought these out.

All pics in this post from mycatwalk.com.au

ksubi115ei.jpeg
ksubi115eg.jpeg
ksubi115ef.jpeg
ksubi115eh.jpeg

Tsubi also make a pair in the style of Nudie Tight Baggy, called A Pyramid. Not exactly my style, but they're interesting looking with that twisted seam.

ksubi101ed.jpeg
ksubi101e.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of denim looks stiff and uncomfortable to me. What is the experience of wearing it like?

What exactly is raw denim? I know you aren't supposed to wash it, but how is the manufacturing of it different than regular denim?

It's only stiff when it's brand new.. the denim softens after an hour or two of wear. Raw denim is made the same way as 'regular' denim, but the regular stuff goes on to undergo different treatments to get the different washes after the jeans are made. Raw, or dry, denim is left unwashed and untreated (hence it being called 'dry').

I love those first Tsubi , first time I've seen raw for girls.

Anyone know about G-Star Raw ? I heard it's not really raw.

I love love love raw denim. I have four pairs, 3 pairs of Dior and a pair of Marc Jacobs. The idea of raw denim is for you to wear them in to be faded (unlike those pre-faded jeans that were all the rage) but I wear them because I like the basicness of them, I dont really want them to wear (beyond the stacking which Im now addicted to).

I love those Tsubi w/ the dropped crotch, I want them so badly.

I'm wearing those jeans right now, Aperture, they're gorgeous! It's a thicker denim than on the Nudies, so I'm expecting them to take longer to develop.

I've never tried G-Star, do you have any pics or know who sells them online? I'm just back from being away, so am going to get stuck into this thread and dig up all the dry denim jeans I can find from various stores. There still aren't that many around, apart from those brands such as Nudie which really feature dry denim, so if anyone knows of any dry denim styles or labels post them up!

Here are the Blue Cult and Blue Cult Elite raw denim jeans I know of. All found on Revolve... all also on sale! :buzz:

Blue Cult Elite Long Skinny in Raw:
These also come in an extra-long version with a 35" inseam, here.

BLU-WJ109_V1-BIG.jpg
BLU-WJ109_V3-BIG.jpg

Blue Cult Scarlett Skinny in Raw:
These look really nice but are 100% cotton - knowing how tight even stretch dry denim is to start with, I think you'd need to go two sizes up for skinny, rigid, dry denim! :blink:

BLU-WJ106_V1-BIG.jpg
BLU-WJ106_V3-BIG.jpg

Nudie @ Revolve

Denimbirds @ Revolve

They used to have a seperate page of womens' Nudie styles at Revolve, but now they're all merged with the mens' lines. I'm waiting for them to restock their Denimbirds, I want a pair of Tight in Dry Black Stretch but they've none in my size. :(

i love raw denim, they're the next best thing to black jeans.

I have a pair of sevens with a thick stitch down the front and back reminiscent of 1940's stockings

Denim's not worth buying if it's not Levi's, 501, and under £5. To me, all this high end stuff runs contrary to everything denim is about.

I don't think so, I think as with every other aspect of fashion even the old basics get revised now and then. I love how 'grown up' denim has become now, and I think it's earned it's place on the shelves of high-end boutiques. There's certainly a difference in my experience between what you get in a trusty pair of 501's and what you get for your money from top shelf brands, and with the endless variety of denim out there now there's something for everyone and every price point.

I also love how right now in fashion there's a place for any and every style of denim you might favour.. skinny or trouser style, aged or dry, it's all okay if you wear it right, and no matter what denim you choose you can really create your own style! This last point is especially pertinent for dry denim styles, since making them your own is exactly what happens.

Does anyone own the Acne jeans I posted above, here?

I'm dying to get them, but am unsure how the sizing compares to Nudie, especially given the tight cut and how the page says the dry denim is thick. If anyone who owns a pair of Acne jeans (whatever style) in this dry black could tell me, I'd be muchly obliged! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->