Givenchy Haute Couture S/S 2010 Paris

It's all about the first eight looks and the last dress for me.

Wild, bold and, in a certain way, sexy. So glad the studs were put away this time.

I think this show is my favourite so far of the HC.

Some of those pieces are just spectacular.

It reminds me slightly of Givenchy's S/S 2007 Haute Couture collection. Although this is probably nowhere near as cosmic as that, this still has elements that remind me of it.

Can't say I'm overjoyed by this collection. While it's still my fav so far at HC week (it's Tisci at Givenchy after all) it's not the Tisci that I've come to know and love.

The 1st half of the collection is hauntingly romantic, and definitely much easier to gulp than the more adventurous 2nd half.
Still, I can appreciate the craziness of the sequined looks, and over-the-top bold colors because they look so damn cool (especially the awesome blue jumpsuit on Hanne).
Overall I'm quite impressed, and certainly not bored (which can't be said for other designers).

I kinda like it all, but the more I look at the blue sequin/glitter jumpsuit the more Thron allusions I get.
But I need to see it all in motion, everything can look good in a still.

The inspiration was Serge Lutens and the 70's? How interesting. I suppose the glittering aesthetic was drawn from these two entities. I can see the Lutens inspiration (the midnight blue especially) but I think he could have developed it a little more extensively.

xe4i9v.jpg
ay7l6r.jpg

mimifroufrou.com/ and sinsign.com/

What I also love is the use of exotic skins in this collection. He used a lot of that here; marabou feathers, stingray, etc. What are the feathered shorts made out of though? :unsure:

One of the many paris of stingray shoes...

nv4mbo.jpg
121ft06.jpg

style.com/

I love the capes, and I love how often Tisci uses feathers in his collections but sometimes it can get too much even for me and I'm not fond of that purple.

I'm not really impressed about the collection after all
I save the last 2 dresses and the all the feathered pieces,plus the ruffled dress on Kamila,the rest is a bit too bling bling drag queen for Givenchy couture
Also hate those stupid circular hats :doh:

I really love some parts of it :heart: I wouldn't really say I'm a huge fan of this collection, cause not all the outfits are my favourites. I like the fact there are two completely different colour palettes here ( and the way one go into the other) . From the pastel one I like the ruffles again, but I'm not sure if some shapes are good to look at, some seem kind of disproportionate for me. The strong colours part is one which I prefer probably... the sequins, the beads - they go with the make up perfectly ( which by the way doesn't look that good when I look at the full length photo, but it turns out be a true masterpiece when I look closer :heart::o ).

while i'm not bowled over by this collection, i'm happy that tisci has found his footing at the house of givenchy. not only can he turn out two menswear collections, two ready-to-wear collections, two couture collections, a pre-fall collection, a resort collection, a new cologne, and a new perfume -- with shows and advertising to support them all -- but he does them all BEAUTIFULLY. he has silenced his critics, now i can't wait for him to make givenchy a money engine as well. his vision of how we should dress today remains one of the most controversial yet compelling presented in the whole of fashion.

here's hoping he has a team on the ground to get one of these gowns on the oscar's red carpet. i want someone like tilda swinton to rock that green jumpsuit with aplomb.

Smoky Eyes and Red, Red Lips

PARIS — A frisson went through the fashion crowd as a tautly tailored tuxedo, ostrich feathers spilling out from a gauzy top, appeared at the opening of the Givenchy show.

It could only have been a deliberate choice by the designer Riccardo Tisci to stage Givenchy haute couture in the same salon where the late Yves Saint Laurent historically held his shows.

If that were not enough of a clue, the makeup — glittering smoky eyes, red lips and rod-straight hair — had that decadent look of glossy surfaces hiding a sexual charge.

“Early ’70s Paris — erotic,” said Mr. Tisci backstage, while a hip crowd led by the singer Ciara and the front-row fixtures Kayne West and his partner Amber Rose, charged at the hot young designer.

The show was audacious, if frustrating as just 22 models whizzed by in high speed. It was also a powerful statement that the designer wants to rebuild Givenchy couture on the YSL fundamentals of hard and liquid-soft, graphic and vaporous.

Condensed to essentials, the show had tuxedo tail coats with pants, or Bermuda shorts as an alternative, but this tailored geometry was open to boudoir embellishment, from visible bras showing a peek of flesh at the midriff to cascades of ruffles. There were also moments of calm, as in an ink blue column of a dress under a vaporous chiffon cape.

Underscoring the masculine/feminine 1970s vibe were over-the-knee boots or platform sandals appearing below a glitter-green sheer top and pants.

The show deliberately disintegrated into a disco mania of purple and electric blue — a wild rave of evening clothes, calmed by two ball gowns with psychedelic colors on the hem ruffles.

The collection was almost too compressed, as though Mr. Tisci could not leave enough time to savor a thought before taking another bite. But it was strong, upscale and without the street feel seen in his previous collections — nor the louche vision of the 1970s channeled by Tom Ford at Gucci in the 1990s.

The workmanship and the tailoring both spun the message that Givenchy has the true spirit of haute couture — but with a jerky, exhilarating 21st century vibe.

/suzy menkes. iht

I loved Givenchy, for me this is Very Haute Couture. Loved it Chanel but in this season Givenchy....cannot words is the best! Riccardo Tisci have a new fan.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->