Givenchy Haute Couture S/S 2010 Paris

I was waiting for more but it sort of just ended with those purple disasters...A few of the looks in the beginning were beautiful, but overall it's a little misguided and overdone. If he was going to work with those bold emerald and blue pieces, he should've done some less extreme versions of them, or re-interpreted them somehow. It's just overwhelming. Last season was so refined and beautiful.

Somebody just said this on the Chanel thread...and I honestly believe this to be the truth:
Haute Couture is dead.

Let's see...
Valentino "the last emperor" is gone.
Lacroix is gone.
Chanel's glory days under Karl ended MANY seasons ago.
Galliano is falling apart at Dior (and "running out of ideas").
Armani's best couture collection happened to be his most minimalist.
And JPG is always hit-or-miss.
So what's left?
An outlandish version of Givenchy (with Ciara as muse)?

That's why haute couture, as we knew it, is dead.

I believe that Tisci is spearheading in the new age of HC.

Hmmmm.....
I love Tisci but a lot of this doesn't really feel like him. As a lot of people said I get a lot of different designer influences as inspiration. Not only that but it seems extremely disjointed and incoherent with too many points of view at once.

Though, I am in love with many of the pieces so I am not too disappointed. I kinda just feel he needed a more coherent story to tell.

WOW. This is absolutely amazing! The suits are gorgeous and those last gowns on Malgosia and Natalia are freaking STELLAR. This really gorgeous in so many ways. :heart::heart::heart:

I love the first part of this collection but lets be honest, its very Riccardo and he has worked on those ideas many times before, both at Pret-a-Porter and Haute Couture levels. It's nothing new really.

The second part of the show was absolutely, positively horrible. He seems to have a lot of trouble with colour, no? He can do white and black so well, even pattern, yet when it comes to colour most of the time it looks very awkward. Those green and purple looks are worse than something you'd see at Versace in the 90's!

Futhermore, I don't find purple to be a very Givenchy colour. Navy blue, yes. Yellow, yes. Green, yes. But purple? As a colour it looks very out of sync with his aesthetic, no?

I like the first half of the collection - darkly romantic, the beautiful lace lampshade hats - then the latter half was a bit questionable.

One dress looked very Elie Saab (a no no), the sequined jewel-tone pieces reminded me of Balmain; the second portion was not cohesive and looked like Tisci ran out of time and improvised two days ago.

Love the first half though.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is definitely not ricky's best work. in fact probably his worst ever.

and since when did ciara become his "muse"? :sick: if that's really true,i think i've lost considerable respect for him because of that. and not just because it's her but it yet again showcases once you go a bit mainstream,then it becomes this pathetic slaving to celebrity.

HC hangs onto society, just like a certain religion i know of. It will never die. Unless superman shows up.

I agree that some looks are very Peter Dundas but not that much. Tisci can still leave his signature.
I LOVE the second look and Natalia's dress is also gorgeous :lol:

This beats Dior and Chanel, hands down. But it's not nearly as good as last season's collection, which was phenomenal. That said, I love a lot of these pieces, including the coloured ones - an interesting move for Tisci, and I appreciate him trying to do something different. I could've done without that awful purple though...

I don't get this collection. His past HC collections were so superior- beautiful, subtle, romantic... This collection is messy, loud, even ugly at times. I had wanted Tisci to move a bit out of his comfort zone, but suddenly I want him back there. Bright, over-sequined things don't seem to be his forte.

OMG OMG OMG LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! That lilac dress with the embellishmnets at the top and the ruffles at the bottom, needs to be worn at the Oscars STAT.

thank god. something evolutionary! we are not going backwards like the last couple of days worth of shows.

Oh Tisci :wub: :wub: I'm in awe. I want to marry the collection. My FAVOURITE thing about the collection is thet styling. I love the apocalyptic mood in there. All dark (and All K looks like Grim Reaper) and mysterious. The makeup :crush: Reminds me of Versace.

Givenchy: Seventies Paris For Today

Godfrey Deeny
January 26th, 2010 @ 5:19 PM - Paris
We witness a somewhat Yves Saint Laurent moment at the latest haute couture show by Givenchy staged Tuesday evening in Paris, a stimulating evocation of modern beauty, yet nonetheless one that echoed earlier ideas by the late French master.

It’s generally a sharp criticism to directly compare one designer’s collection to another’s, though not necessarily in this case, as few people are more capable in contemporary fashion that Givenchy’s current couturier, Riccardo Tisci, at creating arresting images.

The similarity was in part due to the fact that Tisci staged this fall 2010 collection in the same grand ballroom, where so many YSL shows were held. Nonetheless, the images of this show did recall the legendary 1976 Carmen collection by the late Saint Laurent himself.

That said the sense of elegant modernism throughout was impressive, from the opening tuxedo pantsuit, delightfully jazzed up at the waist with ostrich, vulture and nandou feathers to a sublime bolero in similar feathers this time in powdery hues. Tisci’s fashion is rarely easy to wear, but the sense of catering to a demanding stylistic elite is, at times, pretty breathtaking.

Every detail is carefully thought out in his shows, right down to the trompe oeil minimalist off white booties. Or even before the show. Tisci’s invitations are miniature works or art in themselves: this season, the latest collector’s item was an hallucinogenic image of goddess’ face, back lit curtains and Pop Art squiggles, capturing the exotic mood of this arty fashion moment.

“Beauty, early Seventies Paris, erotica and, of course, Serge Lutens,” Tisci told FWD post show, referring to the French perfumer and filmmaker, who created the makeup and hair for Vogue shoots by photographers as esteemed as Richard Avedon, Bob Richardson and Irving Penn.

There was certainly a touch of Lutens dark olfactory imagery, which one can see in the “Les Salons du Palais Royal,” perfume house he created in that historic Paris complex.

This is the designer who very much attracts the right crowd, from every A list editor and buyer in fashion, to a cool blend of quirky French beauties – like Joanna Preiss and Lou Doillon – to American icons, from Kanye West to Texas born singer Ciara, who later sang at the post-show dinner.

Tisci, whose aesthetic influences generally include religion, the renaissance of his native Italy and brooding Gothic, has always tended towards dark splendor. That was apparent in this fall 2010 collection, especially in our two favorite looks, an emerald green, head turning column worn by Polish beauty Magdalena Frackowiak, where sequins and beads fought for real estate, and a voluptuous bustier dress in violet and black that seemed to have an undulating life of its own, in the final passage of the show by Russian supermodel Natalia Vodianova.

Operatic, opulent and over the top, this was a not to be missed moment in modern couture.
www.fashionwiredaily.com

God, look at those details!:shock: This is what we call Haute Couture, the fabrics, the craftsmanshift... The last two gowns are just amazing!:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->