Hedi Slimane exits Saint Laurent; Anthony Vaccarello hired

I can't say I hated everything he did, but GIRL. It's about damn time he left. In a way, he really did change the house for better and for worse. The way he brought new life to their sales was pretty extraordinary. But I think it's certainly been a rough few years in terms of the aesthetic of Saint Laurent. I'm so tired of seeing everyone in his harness boots, slashed up skinny jeans, and perfectos.

Also, Hedi is kind of setting the house up for potential failure financially. I don't think whoever his successor is will be able to replicate the runaway success that Kering will be banking on.

But overall, good riddance.

What do you guys make of the decision to keep the name of YSL Beauty, and not change it to Saint Laurent Beauty? There was an article a while ago that said Hedi wanted control over the beauty brand and its renaming but it was being kept separate from him. Did Kering feel that Hedi's vision did not fit the makeup brand? Would it cost too much to revamp all their products, which still have the layered YSL logo?

I think it was a smart move for them to resist giving him control over cosmetics. Given his suspect casting choices and general aesthetic, I don't think beauty campaigns under him would have been very appealing to the makeup-buying audience. We would have gotten a bunch of coked out models looking pale and depressed in the ads.

I couldn't be happier. I have nothing against Hedi elsewhere but for me he destroyed YSL (even if it did well in terms of sales). It has never looked so tragic. How was the house irrelevant? I loved Pilati at YSL and loved Tom.

At the beginning i didn't like what Slimane did but than i started to love it.
It seems that they didn't sign a new contract with him... I think Vaccarello will kill YSL , in case he will be a new designer - i think he will be because WWD.com wrote about it and i don't think they will write about it if it is only rumor.

What do you guys make of the decision to keep the name of YSL Beauty, and not change it to Saint Laurent Beauty? There was an article a while ago that said Hedi wanted control over the beauty brand and its renaming but it was being kept separate from him. Did Kering feel that Hedi's vision did not fit the makeup brand? Would it cost too much to revamp all their products, which still have the layered YSL logo?

Probably it will cost too much money to change the names again but Saint Laurent and Yves Saint Laurent Beauty , all this Name changes makes confuse.

I think they didn't sign a new contract with him... if it was about control of the Beauty line or not, who knows :(

Source : WWD.com
Sources said Slimane’s initial contract as Saint Laurent’s creative and image director expired on Thursday.

Source : WWD.com
Slimane is said to have coveted control over YSL’s beauty business, but did not hold any sway with the operation, controlled by L’Oréal, which acquired the business in 2008. As a result, he had distanced himself from its products and marketing messages.

What will be with Couture line?

I remember reading somewhere it was YSL beauty was sold to Loreal? So maybe it is not going to be easy.

On a separate note, the talk about Hedi wanting *full* control maybe 90% true but i think he is also quite realistic with continuing some *YSL* elements, the logo can still be seen in some of the garments in the shops til today, it is just they are not seen in campaigns or handbags and the likes. So in that vein and in this defence, he is not as wilful as some make him out to be.

I remember reading somewhere it was YSL beauty was sold to Loreal? So maybe it is not going to be easy.

On a separate note, the talk about Hedi wanting *full* control maybe 90% true but i think he is also quite realistic with continuing some *YSL* elements, the logo can still be seen in some of the garments in the shops til today, it is just they are not seen in campaigns or handbags and the likes. So in that vein and in this defence, he is not as wilful as some make him out to be.

Yes, in 2008. And i think l'Oreal is still the owner of YSL Beauty.
I think YSL Beauty wasn't a reason to not renewal Hedi's contract.
Will see how successful it will be with Vaccarello's creations - asymmetric tailoring of the "leggy dresses" . His eponymous brand is overpriced, the items are more expensive that Hedi's Saint Laurent or, only for example- Olivier Rousteing's Balmain.

YSL Beaute is fully owned by L'Oreal. SLP has no control over it, whatsoever, leading to SLP even distancing itself from YSL Beaute's latest perfume, Black Opium.

it's not like Dior, where everything was in-house.

Hedi wanted to step away from the YSL logo, but that obviously didn't work out so well. if you check out the stuff released under Hedi, the first wave of accessories were unlogo'd, like the Sac du Jour or Lulu. the current bestsellers (bag wise) all feature a huge logo.

YSL Beaute is fully owned by L'Oreal. SLP has no control over it, whatsoever, leading to SLP even distancing itself from YSL Beaute's latest perfume, Black Opium.

it's not like Dior, where everything was in-house.

Hedi wanted to step away from the YSL logo, but that obviously didn't work out so well. if you check out the stuff released under Hedi, the first wave of accessories were unlogo'd, like the Sac du Jour or Lulu. the current bestsellers (bag wise) all feature a huge logo.

So basically in quite a key way (accessories sales, only the heartbeat of the business) his much-ballyhooed rebranding strategy simply didn't work and had to be abandoned.

Not sure what you mean by distancing? What did he do, give an interview saying it stinks? :lol:

I know the perfume business is a big cash cow just begging to be sold when times are bad, but in the case of Lanvin for example, it seems to me that it was a mistake. The perfumes are terrible, and the names idiotic (e.g., Me) and completely out of sync with the brand identity. I can see how the buyer would want complete control, but I think they can also shoot themselves in the foot by being out of sync with the brand and not having useful input when someone good is at the helm.

OTOH, how dumb would it have been to remove the YSL from Touche Eclat?

When Yves and Pierre first sold the company in the early 90s to Sanofi, they lost control over the production of the cosmetics, which I understand was very upsetting to Yves (it was Pierre who arranged all business deals). When the company was again sold to Kering (then PPR) they sold off the licenses, first to Procter and Gamble, who then sold to Loreal. It's now very far removed from the fashion house.

The fact that Hedi was fighting to buy back the license is not for personal gains; it's what Yves would have wanted. Yves never wanted to part with his ownership of the company, but it was a means of keeping the house afloat. If you watch the latest YSL film, there is a scene depicting the sale of the brand and this is discussed. Hedi was trying to recreate the house that Yves wanted, which is what he has been doing all along. It's a shame Kering got in the way! It could have been truly magical. This for once was not about profits, but preserving a legacy.

When Yves and Pierre first sold the company in the early 90s to Sanofi, they lost control over the production of the cosmetics, which I understand was very upsetting to Yves (it was Pierre who arranged all business deals). When the company was again sold to Kering (then PPR) they sold off the licenses, first to Procter and Gamble, who then sold to Loreal. It's now very far removed from the fashion house.

The fact that Hedi was fighting to buy back the license is not for personal gains; it's what Yves would have wanted. Yves never wanted to part with his ownership of the company, but it was a means of keeping the house afloat. If you watch the latest YSL film, there is a scene depicting the sale of the brand and this is discussed. Hedi was trying to recreate the house that Yves wanted, which is what he has been doing all along. It's a shame Kering got in the way! It could have been truly magical. This for once was not about profits, but preserving a legacy.

True. Plus, Hedi and Kering never wanted to distance themselves from the classic YSL logo forever, They just wanted to save the full name for the Haute Couture house, as simple as that; even during Hedi's tenure the logo was always there, from the Fashion shows to the WOC bags and t-shirts.

Good article in Harvard Business Review

Source : hbr.org

Hedi Slimane: The Steve Jobs of Fashion

by Umair Haque

He turned the way things were done upside down. But he pushed too far, and they pushed him out. He spent years in the wilderness. They asked him to come back. This time, the rebellion was refined, polished, perfected. It made billions, not millions. The world applauded.

I’m not talking about Steve Jobs. Allow me to introduce you to the greatest creative genius you’ve probably never heard of: Hedi Slimane, the just-retired Creative Director of Yves Saint Laurent and probably the closest thing the business world has to a Jobsian figure today. Who else has redefined not one but three great global brands – Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Homme in the 90s, Dior Homme in the 2000s (where he introduced the skinny-leg trouser), and Saint Laurent today — reinvigorated a stagnant industry, divided opinion, built a cult, and finally become something like a celebrity in his own right? And yet despite his high profile in the fashion industry, few outside the sector seem to even know who he is.

There are few people in this world I’m envious of. Not for the size of their bank accounts, but the worth of their accomplishments. Slimane’s done more in the four years since he took the helm at YSL than most of us will do in forty. He’s not just made pretty clothes — he’s reimagined what a brand, business, industry, creativity, can be. Slimane made people — especially young people — fall in love with fashion again. I want to emphasize just how remarkable an accomplishment this is. Because the truth is that a lot of young people today disdain and sneer at high fashion. For them normcore’s total rejection of fashion as an evil capitalist machine is what’s cool. And rightly so. For the recession generation, high fashion is about as alluring as “Let them eat cake” was to the Parisian masses. A pointless indulgence. And yet Slimane made fashion relevant to them again. I think it’s a Big, and very under-celebrated, Deal. It’s worth investigating how he did it.

For one, he ignored his critics. Like many industries, Big Fashion companies keep acquiring tiny, money-losing, buzz-worthy brands… that never quite go mainstream. They die silently and perhaps mercifully. But the real question is: why is this a pattern, when it’s both predictable and pointless? Because the fashion industry is making stuff for critics. Like many industries, from tech to media to sports, it’s trying to please them, win them over, even pander to them. But the critics aren’t the people who are buying the stuff. Result: shapeless, gigantic, genderless clothes that critics love… but that are driving the business of fashion to stagnation. They’re out of touch with what people actually want, love, hunger for.

So instead, Slimane broke the rules. It’s easy to say. But it’s rarer than rare to do. Scandalizing the rigid, formalistic world of fashion, Slimane dropped the “Yves” from Saint Laurent, held shows more reminiscent of rock concerts than runway walks in LA, not Paris, cast not just perfect-looking models in his shows, but disheveled musicians and actors, to name just a few tiny acts of rebellion. He also, importantly, made clothes people actually wanted to wear, and that looked better up-close in stores than they did on the runway. The fashion world was shocked. Slimane was savaged by critics, especially in the beginning of his tenure. (Now, even his toughest critics concede he’s “clever.”) But collection by collection, he built a devoted cult of fans precisely because he was ahead of even the critics. The self-referential game of pleasing critics might feel good — but it doesn’t necessarily build a business.

To do that, you have to make products people truly desire. It’s a dirty word in boardrooms, desire. We’re more comfortable with calculative, rational expressions of wants. We can put them in spreadsheets and crunch and process those. There’s just one tiny problem. So can consumers. You don’t pay royally for stuff that you’re running a calculation in the back of your mind about. You pay royally for stuff that enchants, hypnotizes, and entrances you. Stuff you love. Stuff that we love — whether that “stuff” is people or clothes or phones, to be crude — suspends the rational bits of us. It intoxicates us and leaves us giddy. We say to ourselves, “Of course it’s too expensive… but I don’t care. I have to have it.” Saint Laurent’s sales revenues more than doubled in Slimane’s first three years on the job, and in February, they reported a 37.4% fourth-quarter revenue increase and their highest operating margin ever (about 20%).

At the core of this financial success is real artistry. I became a Slimane fanboy myself more than a decade ago. I was a skinny, punky twentysomething. The stuff in luxe boutiques? It was for my granddad’s granddad’s footman’s butler. The trendy stuff in fast-fashion stores? It was for 14-year olds. And then I stumbled upon Slimane’s work. There was a pair of jeans made from crisp Japanese denim. There was a leather jacket tailored as meticulously as a decent suit. Finally. Slimane’s great genius was to elevate stuff. Ripped jeans, biker jackets, grungy shirts…made to perfection, with exacting detail. And that’s why the critics didn’t get it. Instead of unwearable designs that telegraphed well from the runway, Slimane focused on tiny details that shoppers would really care about – the placement of seams on a leather jacket, the silk lining of a sweater. Craftsmanship, not showmanship. Consider: one of Slimane’s great innovations at YSL was a “permanent collection,” a set of stuff that never changed. In an industry and an economy so focused on novelty, that is rebellious.

Clusters like Brooklyn and Detroit are putting artistry and craft back into products from chocolate to coffee to furniture today. But the harsh truth is that Big Corporations see artisanship as marketing. They try to brand it, tricking people into thinking there’s artistry in things – Tesco’s “fictional farms” marketing ploy is a recent example — not really practicing itor investing in it. They should take a lesson from Slimane and actually do it.

Why can’t they? Because so many big institutions have a genius problem. They reject, refuse, and suffocate genius. Slimane is the real thing. He didn’t just design the clothes — he shot the photos for the advertisements and designed the carrier bags for the stores. Most organizations have an allergy to giving that level of control to one person. And in fairness, there aren’t that many geniuses who deserve it. But if you have a Slimane or a Jobs, as an institution you have to do one simple thing: get the hell out of their way.

That’s how you get out of the trap of simply riding trends and cashing in on them: ignoring critics, breaking rules, making things people truly desire, and making them with real artistry. It takes a rare combination of personal genius and organizational risk – which is perhaps why we don’t see that many Slimanes out there. Still, we can always hope for more.

Anthony Vaccarello Leaves Versus Versace; Yves Saint Laurent Announcement Expected Soon
Vanessa Friedman
ON THE RUNWAY APRIL 4, 2016

The fashion world’s game of musical chairs continues. Following Hedi Slimane’s departure as creative and image director of Yves Saint Laurent on Friday, Anthony Vaccarello has officially left his role as creative director of Versus Versace, the younger, funkier sibling brand of Versace and, in recent years, an incubator of up-and-coming designers.

The brand confirmed the news on Sunday, clearing the way for the owner of YSL, Kering, to name Mr. Vaccarello as creative director of the fashion house. An announcement is expected this week.

“While I’m sad to see him leave the Versace family, I wish Anthony Vaccarello tremendous success with his next chapter,” Donatella Versace said in a statement.

Mr. Vaccarello, 33, a Belgian-Italian who has designed his own brand since 2010 and had collaborated with Versus, was named to helm the Versus line only a year ago. He surfaced as a possible replacement for Mr. Slimane in January and somewhat coyly deflected the gossip as “a rumor” at his show during Paris Fashion Week. It was marked by a combination of body-baring asymmetric lacing and leather that reflects his penchant for 1980s rock ’n’ roll, and it may be what connects his aesthetic to that of Mr. Slimane’s Saint Laurent. (Ms. Versace once characterized Mr. Vaccarello’s signature look as “cool and sexy.”) Still, he did not deny the move, and over the weekend, a source familiar with the negotiations confirmed the plans to name him as the successor to Mr. Slimane.

Though most of the attention will now be on Mr. Vaccarello’s plans for the Saint Laurent label, his ascension further bolsters Ms. Versace’s position as something of a talent spotter and Versus as a potent launching pad for other designers.

After all, Ms. Versace signed the British designer Jonathan Anderson for Versus in 2013 — just a few months before he became creative director of the Spanish brand Loewe, owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, which also took a minority stake in his J. W. Anderson brand. And before Mr. Anderson, Christopher Kane was the creative director of Versus from 2009 to 2012, and a majority stake in his brand was bought by Kering.

“In each instance, their time on Versus Versace led to them making a huge advancement in their design career,” Ms. Versace said in her statement, suggesting that she seemed to be embracing with gusto her role as a nurturer of the next generation. “I appreciated the chance to work with each of these three designers, and I enjoyed seeing what they brought to a brand I truly love. I’m proud that Versus can be such a remarkable global platform for emerging design talent.”

Versus has proved not just a petri dish for designers, but also for approaches. Under Mr. Vaccarello, Versus embraced the see-now/sell-now model that is gaining traction in the fashion world, and in September, made its clothes available for sale as soon as they were shown on the runway. The decision contributed to the Versace Group’s 17.5 percent increase in revenue in 2015. Announcing the annual results last month, Gian Giacomo Ferraris, Versace Group’s chief executive, singled out Mr. Vaccarello’s Versus Versace, noting retail sales more than doubled compared with 2014, while wholesale revenues were up 21.4 percent.

All of which raises the stakes for whoever replaces Mr. Vaccarello at Versus, as well as for Ms. Versace to continue her winning streak. Ms. Versace will say only that she will be “surprising everybody” with the announcement. Let the speculation begin.

So I guess it was more than a rumor. Looks like Vaccarello is going to Saint Laurent indeed.

Such a disgrace ! And I kinda feel bad for Anthony, once the people at Kering will see how he can't equal nor outperform Hedi's sales he'll get sacked like an overused hankerchief.

Most importantly though, I feel really bad for Mr Saint laurent. He must be rolling in his grave. Wondering what Pierre Bergé think of this.

Such a disgrace ! And I kinda feel bad for Anthony, once the people at Kering will see how he can't equal nor outperform Hedi's sales he'll get sacked like an overused hankerchief.

Most importantly though, I feel really bad for Mr Saint laurent. He must be rolling in his grave. Wondering what Pierre Bergé think of this.

I don't feel bad for Anthony. And, i hope and i'm sure, he can't equal , of course never outperform Slimane's sales.
I hope Donatella will surpise us with the name of new creative director of Versus.
Vaccarello will "kill" Saint Laurent. He didn't do anything good, exept some pieces, for Versus and he didn't do anything good for his eponymous brand.
It will be a bad copy of Slimane's collections. But Vaccarello hasn't so many fans as Slimane has. And honestly, how it will work? Slimane made all how he wanted, will Vaccarello have same, total, control? And in case he will, what he will or can-could do ? What he has to offer? It will be very difficult- impossible, to top Slimane. Anyway, Vaccarello is not fit enough to do this. IMO.

I didn't care when it was announced.
My big question was WHY?
Because Hedi had the best job ever for any fashion designer. He was successful!
I agree with everybody who says that his tenure was iconic!
Him, Tom Ford and then Stefano (in a quieter degree) times were iconic for the house.

Let's be honest, Alber was already talented but his YSL collection weren't that well received at the time and they became "cult" for the fashion community when we saw what he was able to do at Lanvin.

Hedi Slimane has found the perfect formula for YSL. IMO he was a terrible womenswear designer but a fairly good stylist. He had the vision required to design for the house.

I would have loved to see someone more talented or who has a vision for Saint Laurent. Vaccarello is the poor child of Slimane. He will put his printed shirts, skinny jeans and mini dresses on the runway. It will be more chic, a little bit more refined in terms of presentation but i'm not convinced.

I'm not that bothered by Hedi going...
We have another major designer unemployed today.

PS: Him going to Dior seems quite realistic. He didn't renewed his contract at Dior because at the time, he wanted to do the womenswear and LVMH wanted to fund his own line as Galliano was going to a new, fresh direction at the time.

Dior Homme is still making their money because of what Hedi established: the beauty line, the jeans, the sneakers, the watches...etc.
He can totally do Dior. At YSL, he proved that he was able to be celebrity/social-media friendly without making any appearance AND, he is a superstar.

As long as he is far from Chanel, i'm OK!

Hopefully someone better is picked for Versus.

Sad to see him go, wish he could've stayed for another couple years. He left some big shoes to fill. Seeing his usual models (Grace, Kiki, Julia, etc) posting farewell pics on instagram was pretty sweet too. Going to miss Hedi at Saint Laurent.

As for the Anthony Vaccarello appointment, no thanks -_-

I didn't care when it was announced.
My big question was WHY?
Because Hedi had the best job ever for any fashion designer. He was successful!
I agree with everybody who says that his tenure was iconic!
Him, Tom Ford and then Stefano (in a quieter degree) times were iconic for the house.

Let's be honest, Alber was already talented but his YSL collection weren't that well received at the time and they became "cult" for the fashion community when we saw what he was able to do at Lanvin.

Hedi Slimane has found the perfect formula for YSL. IMO he was a terrible womenswear designer but a fairly good stylist. He had the vision required to design for the house.

I would have loved to see someone more talented or who has a vision for Saint Laurent. Vaccarello is the poor child of Slimane. He will put his printed shirts, skinny jeans and mini dresses on the runway. It will be more chic, a little bit more refined in terms of presentation but i'm not convinced.

I'm not that bothered by Hedi going...
We have another major designer unemployed today.

PS: Him going to Dior seems quite realistic. He didn't renewed his contract at Dior because at the time, he wanted to do the womenswear and LVMH wanted to fund his own line as Galliano was going to a new, fresh direction at the time.

Dior Homme is still making their money because of what Hedi established: the beauty line, the jeans, the sneakers, the watches...etc.
He can totally do Dior. At YSL, he proved that he was able to be celebrity/social-media friendly without making any appearance AND, he is a superstar.

As long as he is far from Chanel, i'm OK!

I hope he will do Dior. He will give Dior a fresh , new direction as Galliano did it years ago.

I don't understand too, why Vaccarello? Vaccarello is not Slimane, similar in their collections can be only the lenth of miniskirts - also not, because Vaccarello's skirts are always asymmetric, in his brand and in Versus.

And, yes,now two great designers are unemployed- Hedi and Alber.

I think Dior needs someone more talented design-wise. He better stays away from womenswear. He is one trick pony and I'm honestly so tired of his vision. And Dior Homme was so iconic under him that I wouldn't try to recreate it again.

I adore him, but he is not suited for a couture house. He should try to build his own label. Hedi, unlike Tom Ford, is still cool and it would be a success for sure.

I think Dior needs someone more talented design-wise. He better stays away from womenswear. He is one trick pony and I'm honestly so tired of his vision. And Dior Homme was so iconic under him that I wouldn't try to recreate it again.

I adore him, but he is not suited for a couture house. He should try to build his own label. Hedi, unlike Tom Ford, is still cool and it would be a success for sure.
Ohhh!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

^:lol: Tom Ford has been a success too, but I mean success in a fashion way. I think if he puts all his efforts, he could build a cult similar to Lang's. He seems very focused and has a very unique vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->