Hedi Slimane Joins Chanel ... ?

Oh god the Chanel vs Dior vendetta has been going on for years until today. I dont think that's the reason why Hedi would join Chanel; he isn't stupid enough to be burning no bridges.

besides, I dont even think this can be a fact, I dont see Chanel making menswear for real, c'mon what is it gonna be, Chanel queer? I dont see no straight man being serious about saying " sup baby momma, im rockin chanel jeans, u feel me?"

I really think Hedi would be the perfect way for Chanel to branch out more into the menswear world. Chanel originally took pieces and fabrics from menswear to make her couture, so why shouldn't the menswear designer take pieces and fabrics from womenswear and couture to make into men's clothing? Hedi has a severe, tailored aesthetic just like Chanel had. Hedi and Karl are friends, and these connections are important. The [SIZE=-1]Wertheimers have put a lot of trust in Karl over the years and have seen it pay off, so a recommendation from him could open quite a few doors.

In my opinion Hedi's one of the only designers that would be right for Chanel. He could do a great job taking the brand back to basics completely once Karl dies/retires.
[/SIZE]

He'd be fine for 4-5 years until he just became a joke as he was before he exited Dior Homme.

I cant imagaine Brad Koenig waering hedi design...
He must be model for the chamel, right?

Chanel (Group) isn't going to foot the bill for him if LVMH isn't.
really??? but I always thought Hedi made Bernard Arnault won the ticket gagnant...
So what's this rumour???? there's no interest...
If he doesn't do a Chanel Men - and I wish he would not... and if he's not building his own label (maybe PPR, non? might be good for him... f***ing Tom F.)... what is he doing???
maybe consulting... non?

and I wanted to say.... I hate Chanel menswear... I cannot think that Chanel (that is with Vuitton, the only shops that never do sales and make everything in France...) is doing such a global-fashion-market thing... money money money...
about the tweed jacket, they don't even look great... I have a tweed jacket, but when I wear it, I don't look like my grandmother in a queer version...:innocent:

Chanel is a "women's" brand in the sense that the men's pieces are just having fun and flirting with the idea. It'd be hard to erase this notion after almost 100 years.

Also, what I think is most amusing about these rumours is that the ONLY basis for them is that Karl likes/wears Hedi's designs. If this were not the case it wouldn't even be trolling around in your brain.

Well well well. Did see this one coming but still...
I just want to see if this is true and if it is where in the group/brand he will be located & what will he do before I really want to say anything.

The whole idea of Chanel seriously branching out into menswear seems absurd to me, it's not a particularly brilliant idea to make a lot of money with a niche RTW collection that would be targeted on the top of it's game... it would have to be accessories and it simply isn't enough to sell the new 'it' trainer to mindless male fashion followers or the occassional bag.

I think Karl Lagerfeld would be one of the designers that would only quit designing clothes dying with a pen still in his hand, so I don't believe he is gonna be succeeded anytime soon, though I believe that Slimane would not be a bad choice. Even though it probably wasn't evident in the last couple collections he designed, the base DNA of his aesthetic is that of a neoclassical, tailored wardrobe. I think his idea of silhouette and proportion, the colours and materials that he uses and his approach towards a purist design language, juxtaposed with very ornate show pieces could work very well with the house of Chanel.

I think there is only very few contemporary designers that do have the lasting power as the older generation had, but I think Hedi would be one of those that has consistancy and a recognizable 'language' that is adaptable to a big (french!) luxury goods house.

In my opinion Hedi's one of the only designers that would be right for Chanel. He could do a great job taking the brand back to basics completely once Karl dies/retires.
[/SIZE]

I think Hedi would be great for Chanel menswear, but I don't think it would ever happen. And I doubt Hedi would take over womens.. I think Marc Jacobs would have someone's head on a stick before that happened.

wasn't dior originally just a women's line too? i always associate it with the hyper feminine 40s new look whereas chanel always had a menswear inspired streak, no?

Chanel is a "women's" brand in the sense that the men's pieces are just having fun and flirting with the idea. It'd be hard to erase this notion after almost 100 years.

Also, what I think is most amusing about these rumours is that the ONLY basis for them is that Karl likes/wears Hedi's designs. If this were not the case it wouldn't even be trolling around in your brain.

I just screamed Hedi for Chanel!
Then I saw it was a rumour, I was expecting an article from WWD. *Has visions of Hedi's designs for Chanel*

wasn't dior originally just a women's line too? i always associate it with the hyper feminine 40s new look whereas chanel always had a menswear inspired streak, no?

I don't think you get what I was saying. Chanel has been a women's brand for almost 100 years...suddenly trying to add a full fledge men's line doesn't seem like something that would be an easy swallow for many.

"Menswear inspiried streak" of using men's fabrics and pants in the early 20th century doesn't have the same effect today.

i am sure he will join chanel because my friend is a male sales person and he already comfirmed to work in chanel shop next month. besides i've never seen a male sales in chanel shop, so i think hedi's is going join chanel! I don't see chanel got anything special then the other brand, all they need is just money otherwise they are not selling a normal dress for over 1000 pounds! Many of you can't believe chanel is going to set up a man's line but i think Mcdonald selling salad is more ridiculous then chanel set up a man's line.

^but what exactly will hedi do at chanel? will he really be designing the men's wear line?

it's not really the idea of chanel starting a men's wear line that seems odd to me, but more like hedi not starting his own line that is. maybe he's just one of those designers that aren't fit to start their own house. or maybe he doesnt have support(which i dont get)

i am curious to see him desiging for chanel womens wear though

excuse me but dior homme only started in 2001!

Yes Dior Homme is not that old. Before that it was Christian Dior Monsieur which ran from the late 70s to mid 90s. So the Dior brand started to have men's attached to it 30 years after its inception...not 100 as Chanel would be.

Chanel already has male SAs. I've known two who have been working there for a long while now. I really dont think that hiring male shop workers means anything.

If Slimane did design "chanel homme" I would hope he would stay away from the chanel signatures, like the camelia, tweed and definitely the 3.55 bag. I think that would be overly feminine in almost any context.

Christian Dior Monsieur did exist since the 70s but it was poor quality and licensed out wasn't it ? So I think this would be a little different. People wouldn't have a hard time wrapping their heads around Chanel menswear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->