Hedi Slimane Joins Chanel ... ?

I'm just quoting you since it was the closest; but, it applies to many posters on this board.

What makes everyone think this? Simply because Karl's personal clothing choices favor the designs of Hedi Slimane? Hardly something that merits succession of one of the most important women's clothing lines of the 20th century.
Also, Karl could give his reccomendation when he is ready to retire...but, it is not his decision to make.

Not at all, it has more to do with the fact that Hedi is favored by Yves St. Laurent and it was actualy St.Laurent who Chanel wanted to take over when she passed. Beyond that, it really has to do with the Werthemeiers (sp?) being smart about fashion and business and knowing it takes a designer with a large presence to keep Chanel going, Hedi can clearly accomplish that. And Hedi's womenswear (like petite faille and the more effeminate pieces from the last few Dior Homme collections) keep with the tennants of the house. You have that garcon attitude, luxury sportswear vibe, and plenty of ideas to work into couture and all the accessories. Hedi's got a vision that can translate well for the house and he also has street cred among the highly established. To me he's an obvious choice. But I don't think Lagerfeld is going anywhere soon.

I dont get the big hype about Chanel Homme. They have a fragrance for men and they have watches - clothing is a natural progression.

ps. Karl mentions something about 'giving them [men] something more' in a video on youtube - the Chanel Monte Carlo video.

But, until there is an article on wwd or something more concrete - theres no point in freaking out. Just because someone is going to work at Chanel doesn't mean anything!!

i am sure he will join chanel because my friend is a male sales person and he already comfirmed to work in chanel shop next month. besides i've never seen a male sales in chanel shop, so i think hedi's is going join chanel! I don't see chanel got anything special then the other brand, all they need is just money otherwise they are not selling a normal dress for over 1000 pounds! Many of you can't believe chanel is going to set up a man's line but i think Mcdonald selling salad is more ridiculous then chanel set up a man's line.

Ooooh okay...so this rumour is true because you know someone who doesn't even work for Chanel yet and he told you it was true?

Mutt,

Okay so Mr. Saint Laurent liked Hedi in the late 90s/early 00s and Mdme. Chanel liked Mr. Saint Laurent in the 60s/70s....so quid pro quo 40 years later this is not relevant...at all.

What you fail to realize is that yes Hedi had a large prescene...in certain circles and sects. He was still very, very polarizing. Yes both Karl and Hedi show skinny twiggy models in their frocks; but, you see a lot more size 16 women in Chanel than you do size 54 men. Even taking away the commercial matter of size, from the stylistic standpoint Hedi drove away many orginal customers (myself included) when he started becoming a carachter of himself. You can argue that more people were wearing Dior...but, getting people into the basics jeans versus the runway fashion items is hardly an arguement.

Mutt,

Okay so Mr. Saint Laurent liked Hedi in the late 90s/early 00s and Mdme. Chanel liked Mr. Saint Laurent in the 60s/70s....so quid pro quo 40 years later this is not relevant...at all.

What you fail to realize is that yes Hedi had a large prescene...in certain circles and sects. He was still very, very polarizing. Yes both Karl and Hedi show skinny twiggy models in their frocks; but, you see a lot more size 16 women in Chanel than you do size 54 men. Even taking away the commercial matter of size, from the stylistic standpoint Hedi drove away many orginal customers (myself included) when he started becoming a carachter of himself. You can argue that more people were wearing Dior...but, getting people into the basics jeans versus the runway fashion items is hardly an arguement.

It is important to look at lineage when you pick a successor, it is important to see who supports hedi, you need advocates in fashion and St.Laurent and Lagerfeld are not bad ones to have. Hedi still sees Pierre Berge and Catherine Deneuve regularly. As far as his position in France is concerned, he is among the highest echelon. Other designers (like Montana) will mention Hedi as the one designer they like in recent years. I'm not saying this all makes him a shoe in but it does give him the versimilitude of couture culture one would need to do Chanel. I don't think there are many other designers who have this kind of aura.

As far as Hedi's actual work for Chanel and what it would be like, I assume he'd understand the brand well enough to design for it appropriately. It's not like Dior Homme where he is building the image and much of its context from scratch. The Chanel woman is clearly defined and so are their profit margins, Hedi wouldn't be able to avoid these things. Lagerfeld has done so well at Chanel because he adapts it every season to the moving trends and makes it all ultra luxe, I'm sure Hedi has picked up on this as well.

But come on, a designer who makes luxurious clothes for little rock and roll boys designing at Chanel, how perfect is that?

00030m.jpg

00240m.jpg

00100m.jpg

00270m.jpg

00310m.jpg

00430m.jpg

it's not like he's being doing womenswear for Dior Homme anyways..

all images from style.com

No serious speculation concerning Chanel Homme. People at Chanel were angry enough just because of Karl's men models sent during Chanel's shows so I don't believe they would accept something like that. They clearly stated so after the first men wearing Chanel (a couple of years ago) on a magazine.

it's not like he's being doing womenswear for Dior Homme anyways..
i don't know if this is sarcasm...
but that ALL looks like womenswear to me....:innocent:

but it's kind of boring as womenswear...
what's interesting about it is that it is proposed as menswear...
otherwise...
it could be club monaco....
:ermm:...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god the Chanel vs Dior vendetta has been going on for years until today. I dont think that's the reason why Hedi would join Chanel; he isn't stupid enough to be burning no bridges.

besides, I dont even think this can be a fact, I dont see Chanel making menswear for real, c'mon what is it gonna be, Chanel queer? I dont see no straight man being serious about saying " sup baby momma, im rockin chanel jeans, u feel me?"

My sentiments concerning Chanel Homme. I always find that Chanel is an overly feminine brand and a connotation for Chanel will always carry it. However, this perspective is from someone who has some semblance of knowledge of the industry. Others are less fortunate...

Have you seen the gangsta rappers and spiky-haired Italian men sporting Chanel earrings?

OK
its just a rumour and KL isnt going anywhere since he keeps doing an amazing job and all that...

But, I cant help fantasizing about Hedi Slimane doing couture..............................................................................

i don't know if this is sarcasm...
but that ALL looks like womenswear to me....:innocent:

but it's kind of boring as womenswear...
what's interesting about it is that it is proposed as menswear...
otherwise...
it could be club monaco....
:ermm:...

:P

I think these looks verbatim on a woman would be really great. I like the boxy shoulers over a draped and sensual top with a pair of slim pants. And the menswear fabrics are also a nice touch. Examples like these get me excited to see what Hedi will do for women. It's very simple and clean, perhaps though it is more about the attitude than the actual clothes.

And I posted this before in another thread, it's from thesartorialist.blogspot.com She's head to toe in Dior Homme:

DiorHommeFemme.jpg

I think Slimane had been doing really nice things for women, I think it would be great at Chanel or more likely his own label.

hum ... I think Slimane follows quite well the german modern Lagerfeld aesthetic ... Slimane for Chanel -femme- suits it ... and Chanel menswear doesnt sound so farfetched .... I bet a Birkin bag that one season after's been launched all the rappers will be wearing it

I really did not want to post on this thread because, quite frankly, both sides of this argument are so completely irrelevant. No one has publicly offered him the gig, nor has he or any member of the Chanel company spoken of this publicly. Not even through anonymity with WWD, etc. HOWEVER, I have to ask why everyone keeps brining up males sales people at Chanel, as if that would have anything to do with whether or not they planned on launching a larger menswear collection. That may be the most ludicrous part of this entire thread. You will find yourself searching very hard to find a designer owned and operated store, or a major department store, that does not have male employees. This includes Chanel. In fact, I think Chanel actually stands out in my mind as having a large percentage of male SAs. It has been this way before Karl started starving himself to fit into Dior Homme, so, no, it has nothing to do with future creative team hires.

Seriously, what does a male SA have to do with any thing? I just went into Chanel TODAY and half of the SAs were male :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->