Helen Of Troy

mrrene

Reaction score
Wolfgang Petersen launched this search for the most beautiful actress possible to play Helen of Troy in his upcoming epic "Troy"

I don't know if he found anyone yet.

She was the original face to die for. So who should be Helen of Troy on film? Ian Nathan checks the field

According to Homer, Helen of Troy was the face that launched a thousand ships, "the very image of an immortal goddess". According to a recent casting call put out in search of a Helen for Wolfgang Petersen's $ 120 million big screen rendition of The Iliad (simply called Troy), "On a scale of one to ten she's a 20."

Whichever way you look at it, Helen -whose abduction was the cause of history's most celebrated dust-up -is held up as the epitome of beauty. This search for an actress to fill the role of the new blockbuster is thus ostensibly the search for the most beautiful woman in the world.

Troy is certainly an ambitious project. Born of the Tolkien-fuelled resurgence in the fantasy genre, this centrepiece of Greek mythology has been plumped up with big stars: Brad Pitt plays Achilles, Eric Bana is Hector, Orlando Bloom is Paris, Sean Bean is Odysseus with Peter O'Toole as the Trojan king Priam. The film will shoot in Malta, Morocco and London, although concerns over Iraq may shift exteriors to desert locations in Mexico.

Yet, no matter how festooned with mind-bending special effects, the heart and soul of the story is Helen. For the past two months Petersen has engaged the UK casting agent Lucinda Syson to lead the hunt, which may suggest that he is seeking a British actress. Despite Homer's references to her being "white-armed", surely she would be of Greek colouring?

In public Petersen is non-specific. "She has to be believable as the face that launched a thousand ships and caused the Greeks to go against Troy," the director of Air Force One proclaimed. "She has to be that beautiful."

The rumour mill is full of names of would-be Helens. Saffron Burrows was announced, but it transpired she was to play Hector's wife Andromache. Then came the name Rosie Byrne, known only for a bit part in Attack of the Clones, but she was Brisies, romantic interest for Pitt's Achilles. Other names have circulated, some obvious wish-fulfilment, others with a patina of truth, but each swiftly knocked down: Halle Berry (too old!), Catherine Zeta-Jones (too pregnant!), Connie Nielsen of Gladiator (too Roman!), Sophie Marceau (too French!), Jennifer Lopez (too much!). If the barometer is pointing anywhere, it is towards a Helen younger than the established set of Hollywood beauties. One obvious candidate, Natalie Portman, is unavailable because of Star Wars commitments, leaving such names as Kristin Kreuk of Smallville and our own Kiera Knightley being touted.

Yet Claire Forlani, the feline-featured actress from Twickenham who made a minor impact opposite Brad Pitt in Meet Joe Black, has emerged as the unofficial frontrunner. Her name was briefly added to the cast list, before mysteriously disappearing. The internet crew, taking up their improbable position as independent adjudicators of the studios' creative decisions, have greeted the possibility with mixed feelings. "It's a travesty; she's worse-looking than my sister," bewailed one contributor. "Perfect! She has that sublime mix of regal and bewitching," cheered another. Which brings to mind the well-used adage, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, when it comes to Helen of Troy you need some kind of consensus. Which is perhaps why Petersen has set up a sensible smokescreen, hinting that after all the talk he would rather go for an unknown.

Not that the fuss will hurt at all. The quest to fill the shoes of certain characters is part of Hollywood mythology, helpfully adding layers of publicity to a movie. Most big roles involve a host of nominees and when a very famous character -real or fictional -is to be portrayed, the exposure is amplified.

The agent is:

Lucinda Syson
11 Goodwins Court
London
WC2N 4LL
Tel: 020 7379 468
Fax: 020 7379 5971
Mob: 0410 815 711
[email protected]

Filming is to start real soon, on April 22 in London, then Malta, and Morocco in Summer.

Note to all those who apply : you get to work with Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom!

Apparently, all the actresses who want to apply for it aren't because they think they might seem up themselves, putting themselves forward to play 'the most beautiful woman ever'.

Who do you guys think should apply?

Originally posted by Aniviel@ Apr 8th, 2003 - 2:35 pm
Note to all those who apply : you get to work with Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom!

Apparently, all the actresses who want to apply for it aren't because they think they might seem up themselves, putting themselves forward to play 'the most beautiful woman ever'.

Who do you guys think should apply?
....and Malta isn't such a big place, they can't escape you to some big city in the evening.

Anyway, if Petersen is considering unknown actresses, maybe our Mara should apply... :blush:

"...younger than the established set of Hollywood beauties..."

My vote is for Cate Blanchett. :heart:

She's probably "too old" by Hollywood standards though. :rolleyes:

Maybe here's the chance for a young model to break into acting, if he is willing to consider less-known actresses.

Hmm...tough call. Especially since Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Dors and Hedy Lamarr all played Helen of Troy. BIG shoes to fill...

Kate Hudson with her lovely natural beauty and wavy hair :smile:
sooooo gorgeous and STUNNING!

Catherine Zeta Jones
:heart:

(though I would totally LOVE Cate Blanchett!!)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
please enver never never never never
let her do another movie
please no nononononononnononononononononoooooooooooooo

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

LOL! I guess that means you don't agree with us? :lol:

Originally posted by mrrene@Apr 8th, 2003 - 9:46 am
Anyway, if Petersen is considering unknown actresses, maybe our Mara should apply...  :blush:
I was thinking that as I was reading! :wink:

I remember seeing Claire Forlani's name tossed around in regards to the movie, but...I dunno...I think she's lost some of her beauty since she dissappeared off the scene. It's like her face is morphing into Tiffani Amber Theissen's or something.

I'd like to see Natalie Portman. She's breathtaking and it's about time she did something other than Star Wars. But I read somewhere that she wasn't taking on any other roles until she finished college.

Originally posted by seditionary@Apr 8th, 2003 - 2:24 pm
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
please enver never never never never
let her do another movie
please no nononononononnononononononononoooooooooooooo

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
C'mon, seditionary, tell us how you really feel! :lol:

Well... Jennifer Aniston IS greek ...
Helen -Hunt- would make my 1000 ships to sail (though too old)
Liz Hurley is an option ... Natalie Portman is the #1 in my list ... I dunno ..too many to choose!

the greek girl from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? she's greek
Nia Vadarlos

greek_toula.jpg

I think Clair Forlani is a good suggestion though

maybe Jennifer Connelly?

HEADLINE: Diane Kruger Cast as Helen in Wolfgang Petersen's Classic Epic ''Troy''

DATELINE: LONDON, April 10, 2003

BODY:
Warner Bros. Productions Ltd. and Latina Pictures Ltd. announced today that German-born Paris resident Diane (dee AHN) Kruger has been chosen to portray antiquity's greatest beauty, Helen, in Wolfgang Petersen's "Troy," for worldwide release by Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures in May 2004.

Directed by Petersen ("The Perfect Storm," "Das Boot") from a script by David Benioff ("The 25th Hour"), the film stars Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom, Julie Christie and Peter O'Toole. Petersen, Diana Rathbun and Colin Wilson are producing.

"Troy," a sweeping epic based on the classic Greek tale "The Iliad" by Homer, will be filmed in England; Malta; and Los Cabos, Mexico, with principal photography scheduled to begin April 22 in England.

"Diane is not only a stunning beauty but a gifted actress with tremendous emotional depth and presence," said Petersen. "The role of Helen is charged with the grandeur of history and legend. I am confident that Diane has the charisma and artistry that this compelling character demands.

"The addition of Diane to this production completes our major casting. We are all very pleased to welcome her to our cast as we begin the exciting challenge of filming this movie in the weeks ahead."

Born and raised in Germany, Kruger studied in London with the Royal Ballet before an injury ended her dance career. She returned to her native country and became one of its best-known photographic models before moving to Paris at the suggestion of filmmaker Luc Besson. There, she began her acting career opposite Dennis Hopper and Christopher Lambert in the independent production "The Piano Player," released last year.

Kruger began 2003 by receiving a Caesar Award nomination for her starring role in the Caesar-nominated French film "Mon Idole"; she will star in another French feature, "Michel Vaillant," to be released this summer. She recently completed her major American film debut starring opposite Josh Hartnett in an as-yet-untitled MGM-Lakeshore Entertainment production slated for theaters later this year.

Note: A photo is available at

Stacy Ivers, 818/954-6228
or
Warner Bros. Pictures UK
Jayne Trotman, 44-207-984 5222

It's hard to find a photo of her.

canetkruger.lrg.jpg

This is her with her boyfriend and former costar of "Mon Idole" Guillaume Canet.

Huh. :unsure:

I was expecting someone who wasn't blond. It is Greece, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvtvi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->