Makeup Brushes

MAC #187 is the only face brush you need. Seriously, if you can only buy oen face brush, just splurge the $$ on 187.

Ah, i didn't find the brush thread so i was posting in applying foundation thread:doh: Could someone plz erase or move my post?:blush:

Request for moderators, can you please remove the image I hyperlinked to on my post #160.

I think I got duped :( I assumed it was a limited edition YSL blush brush with the gold handle, but ah, google did not reveal such model. D'oh, I plead guilty to wanting because it looked pretty & gold.

It loses its hair easily and the plastic handle looks rather cheap. It does however pick up pigments rather, so it'll do for now, next time I need to wise up and buy from a certified retailer and not on an auction site.

Beware folks.

Alcone sells very inexpensive brushes that I like. alconeco.com Makeup theater brands have their own brushes as well that not very expensive under $15 for most.

Japonesque brushes are now 20-30% off at ulta.com, at great prices. I think it ends in a few days if it hasn't already. They are very very good but a bit expensive at regular price.

Sephora brushes, mainly eyeshadow ones, are now on sale last I checked. Ranging from ~$3-12, usually 7 and up. Type in 'sale' in search box at sephora.com.

Otherwise I would recommend going to an art store and stocking up on some brushes from there, like some smaller filberts etc. I believe many makeup artists pic up brushes this way.

Also on ebay there are some good deals.

Tushka BeLLa I try to wash and care for my makeup brushes like paint brushes. After you are done washing the brushes w/ a cleanser in warm water by making figure 8s in your palm, rinse it all out. Then carefully 'form' the bristles into a shape and let it dry flat. It'll never be like when you first took them out of the package but it will help to retain the shape. Never play with the shape of the bristles when drying, always lay flat.

Sometimes if it came in a package, as long as its clean you can put it back into it. I have a blush brush that came in a stiff plastic 'cone' After its dried, I sometimes put it back into the cone to enforce that shape again.

Also if you want to splurge (and I mean majorly!) there is apparently a $200+ brush from Shu Uemura available from Sephora. I'm not sure how they justify the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yes, you're right it is a brush set. For $275!! 200 was a conservative estimate.

Essential Brush Set
What it is:
A brush set containing six professional finish makeup brushes for the optimum application of face, cheek, brow, eye and lip color.

From sephora.com.

And they all look to be travel size. ~$46 a piece.

I have many, many makeup brushes. Some from MAC, some from Stila, some from Bobbi Brown.

I have to say shockingly my favorites come from Harmon's. The brand is called POSH. They are amazing. Seriously, I can't believe they are all under $30.

My other favorite brushes are from Tony & Tina which is sadly d/c'ed.

^^^

Well, typically, I would say for brushes in a word - yes. I think brushes are really important and quality is everything.

Cheap ones shed hair and don't apply as well as more expensive, denser brushes.

Posh is cheap but I swear it's a rare exception. I like them better than expensive ones.

Has anyone ever cleaned their brushes with shaving foam? I've used it on my hair brushes and it worked pretty well, but I'm afraid it might damage my fragile make-up brushes.

I recently bought a mac brush set, and Im really new to nice brushes
So what are the proper uses for these brushes.

129SE (Blush or bronzer/powder?)
219SE?
316SE?

129 is for blush and powder.
219 is to use on eyes on the lashline and crease.
316 is for lips or to put eyeliner.

Let me give a shout out to Essence of Beauty brushes from CVS and other drugstores. They are pretty soft and very durable. I have a blush brush and there was no shedding and I've had it for 2 years now.

^^ I'm thinking about purchasing some Shu brushes. I saw them at the airport in Taiwan when I was coming back from the states. I'm going back in two weeks and thinking on splurging on a LOT of cosmetics at the airport any favorite Shu brushes?

flutterbugly, were the SHU brushes cheaper at the airport than in regular stores?? i'm at the taiwan airport a lot and am in the market for some proper brushes so if they're cheap then maybe i should be all over it!

also, what kind of brushes should be in a good set? i'm new to the make up brushes thing (i only use 3--powder brush, the MAC tiny flat eyeliner brush, and a drugstore eyeshadow brush) and need some help in creating a good "starter kit" for myself before diving into the more 'complicated' ones. any suggestions? thanks guys :flower:

I think the Holiday sets MAC has out right now are an awesome way to start a makeup brush collection. You get like 5 brushes for under $50. There are different sets, like one for the face and one for the eyes.

Some people think the quality of the smaller brushes isn't as good as the larger brushes but I think if you are just starting out a collection, they'll be wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmeColbert
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->