Makeup Brushes

thanks suburbansnob! i'll check out the MAC holiday collection :smile:

I need a recommendation for a good angle brush. That can double for shadow and brows. At the moment it's between Smashbox Angle Brow Brush 12 or MAC #266. Any thoughts or a different suggestion.

I would suggest Stila # 20 brush. It is double sided, with an angel brush and more of a pointed brush so it can be used for both eyes & eyebrow.

Makeup Brushes, All about

Lately I've been faced with the challenge of starting myself a good, solid makeup brush collection. There are so many brands of variable quality and price range, and I wonder which ones are going to give me what I need in terms of quality and usage without hurting my wallet.

So, which brands do you use and would recommend? What does your basic makeup brush set consist of?

I have the Smashbox vanity brush set...

07933296809.jpg

strawberrynet

I only really use the powder brush, blush brush and concealer brush though :ninja:

If you can get the M·A·C PRO Membership Card you can get them for 40% off (each brush) which I think i great because from what I understand they are hand made, I have a great set and they are pretty good.

*Merged* Please remember to do a search prior to starting a thread :flower:

^Thanks for the merge, Hanne. I actually did search for an existing thread but nothing turned out. The search system on tFS is a little bit cuckoo. :flower:

Does any of you has Bourjois Pinceau Poudre? I got it today to use with my mineral foundations. I chose this one over other brands' because of the good reviews on Makeup Alley and because it does seem like a very good brush. It's so soft and yet so robust, perfect for powder foundations.

Is this worth the price? About 30 $ I guess.
23510_1185025.jpg

I.D concealer brush.

Cado, that brush is quite popular over at MUA. But keep in mind that most people that have it, got it for free with the BE starter kit, and I don't think one demands as much of a brush when you didn't really pay for it. (That kit as a whole is a pretty good buy though.)

I use mine every day, but I can't really say if it would be worth buying separately. It's there, so I use it. I'm really much too lazy with brushes.

Speaking of which - I'm thinking of replacing my BE kabuki with something else, since all the reviews I've seen recently say there are much better things out there for applying mineral foundation. In fact most of MUA seems to hate this brush with a passion. :smile:

MAC's 182 seems like a good option. Any other suggestions?
_5233519.jpg

(nordstrom.com)

has anybody tried eco tools brushes? They're all natural and sustainable, which sounds really nice, but I don't know how the quality of the brushes are. And they're really cheap so I don't know if they're any good. I'm thinking of ordering the mineral brush set, but I'm just worried that they could potentially suck...

If you google it, you'll see that some beauty bloggers seem to be quite happy with them. But as for the "sustainability" angle - the difference between these and any other brush with a wooden handle is in all likelihood minimal. The best thing you can do, if you care about that sort of thing, is get a brush that is good enough to use for a long time and won't be in the garbage in a couple of months.

has anybody tried eco tools brushes? They're all natural and sustainable, which sounds really nice, but I don't know how the quality of the brushes are. And they're really cheap so I don't know if they're any good. I'm thinking of ordering the mineral brush set, but I'm just worried that they could potentially suck...

I use eco tools, really because it was the only brand I could get in my town and I was in dire need.
Anyway,
I ended up really loving them.

Speaking of which - I'm thinking of replacing my BE kabuki with something else, since all the reviews I've seen recently say there are much better things out there for applying mineral foundation. In fact most of MUA seems to hate this brush with a passion. :smile:

MAC's 182 seems like a good option. Any other suggestions?

(nordstrom.com)

I don't have any suggestions of which ones you could buy (sorry :blush: ) but I can certainly suggest that you not buy the Bourjois kabuki. It's a good brush but it starts sheding bristles after you wash it for the first time (and also you must put a bit of hair conditioner on it otherwise it will irritate the skin once it's dry and ready to be used). The MAC kabuki seems like the perfect choice. I see many people praising the Everyday Minerals kabuki as well. :flower:

i just purchased the MAC 187 stippling brush last week due to great reviews on youtube, and it is hands down the BEST synthetic fiber brush that i've used to apply foundation. my foundation is "buffed" on, and the end result is flawless and AIRBRUSHED looking.

i dislike regular foundation brushes because i find that they don't blend very well, as well as the likeliness of leaving streaks.

Does anyone know of any great big and full brushes for applying loose powder? i've tried many different brands in the past, but i'm trying to find one to commit to. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the MAC 182 brush, I don't think it's that good tbh, mind you I haven't really used it properly for applying my mineral foundation, I should give it a try really else it was just a waste of money.

Eli5e I have a dupe of the 187 and just wandering how you apply it? I've watched a few vids on Youtube but can't seem to get a flawless finish?

how does the stippling brush work? Do you use it with any regular foundation? I never got into using brushes for foundation or concealer and only occasionally use mine because I find it can make my skin look chalky/dry if it's not warmed up by my fingers.

For a powder brush, I simply use a Bobbi Brown basic blush brush I got years ago and to be honest, it works a dream. I don't know what you're looking for, but it's always done a great job in the past and I get loads of coverage with it (and it holds the powder well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmeColbert
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->