Marc Jacobs F/W 10.11 New York

Love the accesories, especially the shoes. They feel so Marc indeed!

Looks like an American version of Prada. I'll probably be the only one, but it doesn't do anything for me. To be honest, I really don't like it.

And I consider myself to be a hardcore Marc Jacobs-fan.

Egh!

Marc Jacobs has always been the American Prada to me; "statement" fashion that is ugly on purpose. I'll never get it.

That said, there were a few pieces that I didn't hate. I really like the short sequined cocktail dress. And of course, per usual, the bags are killer.

beautiful clothes, beautiful fabrics, beautiful shapes.....some very covetable pieces....not over styled and fussy.....:heart:

As much as I dislike comparing one designers to another, I do agree that Marc could be called American Prada. Marc himself actually did mention Miuccia being very inspiring to him and the similarity between them in the twisted mentality and choice of fabrics, it's also visible in the styling and overall impression. And that's probably the reason I love his collections even more :wub:

^ I will say, though, that however inspired he may be, I don't find them very similar ... I own quite a bit of Marc Jacobs and have never bought a single piece from Prada. Whatever Prada there is here has been completely transmuted into something else, in my view ...

This week I came across a fashion newspaper section from 1988 with photos of Marc's latest fall collection (he was 25 then) :innocent: :ninja: One of the photos was of a heavy cabled sweater whose echoes are in this collection. The influences I find most interesting here are those of Marc's own past work from many different collections throughout his career ...

^ I think that's the best part of this collection, that so much of it does come from his own past. It gives the clothes a soulfulness that I personally haven't seen from him in years, regardless of how much I may have liked his experimentation these last few seasons. This really is his DNA.

I get the Prada comparison, but its definitely not on the surface to me. Their signature looks are entirely different, but they both have that love of things that are slightly askew, nerdy or dowdy. They both find beauty in oddness.

Yes, I agree it's not clearly visible and able to catch, rather sort of an elusive impression of connection.

I have to say I am really impressed with this collection. I haven't felt so strongly about a Marc collection in a while. This collection possesses the soulfulness, beauty and emotion that is comparable to his masterful Fall/Winter 2006 show.

im really agreeing with a lot of what's being said. i can sort of see the prada reference, but nothing that takes away that this collection is true MJ and perhaps almost a retrospect, a look back, a memory of all he's done, which really makes me excited to see where he takes his resort and spring 2011 collection. this all reminds me of vintage sepa photographs, capturing the oversized bowties of past collections, the quirkiness of his shoes and styling, and the play with patterns and textures like a child playing dress up in all their exaggeration and juxtaposition.

The nails:

"It took about five hours to come up with the colors," admitted Creative Nail Design's Elisa Ferri. "I've never worked with a designer who is as hands-on as him. He would say, 'can I add a drop of yellow? A drop of purple?' He has a perfect eye for color... That's why Marc is who he is!" As the colors, sadly, were custom-created, they're not on store shelves (yet). But I got the scoop on how to mix the polishes at home, using CND colors

mj1za.png

Look 1:
3\4 bottle of Chocolate Milk
1\8 bottle of Blackjack
1\8 bottle of Brilliant White
3 drops of Green scene
4 drops of Asphalt
5 drops of Bicycle Yellow

mj2u.png

Look 2:
3\4 bottle of Chocolate milk
1\8 bottle of Blackjack
3 drops of Green Scene
4 drops of Asphalt

mj3.png

Look 3:
1\2 bottle of Chocolate milk
1\2 bottle of Brilliant White
3 drops of Green Scene
4 drops of Asphalt

mj4.png

Look 4:
1\2 bottle of Studio White
1\4 bottle of Ivory Coast
1\8 bottle of Desert Suede
5 drops of Asphalt
1 drop of Green Scene
1 drop of Bicycle Yellow

mj5.png

Look 5:
3\4 bottle of Putty
12 drops of Raisin in the Sun
12 drops of Studio White
8 drops of Bicycle Yellow
6 drops Green Scene
3 drops of Silver Chrome

teenvoguedaily

i do like the sobriety of this collection in contrast to s/s. the bags are absolutely killer, and i really like all of the long dresses, but i'm not dying for the colors or the awkward-length skirts (or the shoes! blegh) overall, though, i did really like the feel of this collection, and i think it's great for women to pick and choose from, since these pieces could be integrated into anyone's wardrobe (minus those of us who cannot afford MJ). a very smart collection business-wise.

I'm just sharing some close ups. Love the sweater with long skirt/dress!
mj3.jpg
mj2.jpg
mj4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else noticed that detail pix of the best shoes in this collection are pretty hard to come by? I wonder if they're trying to prevent knockoffs?

The construction is interesting--note the stitching on the sole. Don't think I've ever seen that before ... These are must-haves in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->