Model Casting F/W 2020.21

I agree. They need to revive FashionTV and things similar. I believe New York Magazine had backstage videos/diaries, and W did as well. Vogue is producing some pretty nice videos following a highlighted model, though.

But I guess most of those videos were before Instagram was a thing. Nowadays, all you need is a cellphone and you can report live on what's happening backstage and whatnot and store everything on an Instagram page.
You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Do Gen z or millenials care about models at all anymore? Judging by the data that brands use and any metric, it's so small that it doesn't justify the investment. Doesn't drive sales and in the body positive / 2020, fashion models don't translate.

W is basically on its last legs, NY mag is a sales platform more than news now.

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Do Gen z or millenials care about models at all anymore? Judging by the data that brands use and any metric, it's so small that it doesn't justify the investment. Doesn't drive sales and in the body positive / 2020, fashion models don't translate.

Hmm, that is a good point... But, couldn't you *almost* argue that models are more popular in 2020? Even in previous golden eras of supermodels, following a top girl didn't mean you could tune into their daily/hourly updates on instagram. It's not the same – and I feel like it usually involves following their "celebrity" more so than their career – but it still does show quite a bit of effort or devotion.

Different medium, but similar concept, I think...

I agree. They need to revive FashionTV and things similar. I believe New York Magazine had backstage videos/diaries, and W did as well. Vogue is producing some pretty nice videos following a highlighted model, though. But I guess most of those videos were before Instagram was a thing. Nowadays, all you need is a cellphone and you can report live on what's happening backstage.

Those new Vogue videos are great! I would love to see more of that type of coverage. I think it's a totally different perspective on the highlighted models to have Vogue's team following them than to have the girls covering their own day on Instagram stories.

I hope digital content like that is successful enough to take a foothold! Even though it's significantly easier to cover fashion week nowadays, somehow the coverage is fragmented or disjointed enough that you don't really get the "full picture" of a show and its participants like you used to...

Hmm, that is a good point... But, couldn't you *almost* argue that models are more popular in 2020? Even in previous golden eras of supermodels, following a top girl didn't mean you could tune into their daily/hourly updates on instagram. It's not the same – and I feel like it usually involves following their "celebrity" more so than their career – but it still does show quite a bit of effort or devotion.

Those new Vogue videos are great! I would love to see more of that type of coverage. I think it's a totally different perspective on the highlighted models to have Vogue's team following them than to have the girls covering their own day on Instagram stories.

I hope digital content like that is successful enough to take a foothold! Even though it's significantly easier to cover fashion week nowadays, somehow the coverage is fragmented or disjointed enough that you don't really get the "full picture" of a show and its participants like you used to...
I wouldn't say they are more popular at all no. Look at Vogue Paris' post on Marant for example. How many times have they featured Rianne and yet they still make sure to tag Gigi and Kaia but don't bother to tag Rianne and the rest when they know very well who they are. I wouldnt say models are any more mainstream than they were.

Anyway came here to say - Hanne at Balmain was great! Never ever thought I would see the day where she was walking Balmain and pretty special after 14 years on the runway to be booking a show for the first time IMO.

I wouldn't say they are more popular at all no. Look at Vogue Paris' post on Marant for example. How many times have they featured Rianne and yet they still make sure to tag Gigi and Kaia but don't bother to tag Rianne and the rest when they know very well who they are. I wouldnt say models are any more mainstream than they were.

See, this is exactly why I hate mainstream fashion media. They never bother with the actual models except they're related to celebrities or something, as if they're perpetuating a message of "models from celebrity parents are superior than real models, don't @ us".

And now that one of them made fun of real models' struggles years ago and yet is still working like a supermodel today, I seriously couldn't understand why the media can't make real models be respected again without resorting to celebrity daughters.

Models who skipped FW (thus far; quite a few probable Chanel girls in this list:(

Liu Wen
Fei Fei Sun
Selena Forrest
Edie Campbell
Britt van den Herik
Jenniffer Mieses Concepcion
Toni Smith
Hayley Ashton
Lea Julian
Jessie Bloemendaal
Jing Wen
Amanda Murphy
Hayett McCarthy
Pan Haowen
Sara Eirud
Bell Hinova
Isa Peerdeman
Jessica Fennix
Nikki McGuire
Brooke Robinson
Isabel Jones
Jonna Blauert
Sasha Komarova
Agostina Noe
Bo Wen
Ruinan Dong
Adrienne Juliger
Cat McNeil
Katya Bybina
Luisana Gonzalez
Nat Renelle
Scarlett Costello
Primrose Archer
Lucan Gillespie
Karolin Wolter
Imari Karanja
Hoyeon Jung
Eniola Abioro
Alyssa Traore
Bomi Youn
Altyn Simpson
Matea Brakus
Alyssah Paccoud
Natalie Ogg
Roos van Elk
Ratner
Teddy Quinlivan
Une Jonynaite
McKenna Hellam
Carolina Burgin
Charlotte Rose Hansen
Kristin Drab
Miriam Sanchez
Nikki Vonsee
Louise Robert
Nora Vara

Anyone I missed?

I presume Clementine, Lola, Grace V, Janet, Klara, Mariam, Masha etc. have LV exclusives.

Last edited:

to...
Based on views, impressions, traffic, sales, revenue, and other metrics, it's showing the exact opposite. There are more influencers/celeb/global celebs/local celebs who have filled the vacuum and identity politics make models less aspirational. Doesn't mean they are going away but increasingly less relevant.

Case in point, shooting models bts at runway shows is very cheap to do compared to creative content and takes little creativity more than editing. (maybe 3 to 10 x cheaper) yet the platforms have shown less interest in doing it. Risk /reward doesn't justify it.

Poly and Rubik at Valentino... how creative. Will those two ever leave?
And that annoying attention seeker Adut again was hunting Piccioli like a stalker hahaha

Rubik looked like she's 45, Lara Stone looked miserable and could barely walk, and I can't stand Adut. I don't know why but she irritates me. I also don't like Lulu but she looked good in motion.

Anja definitely should stick to Versace, looked out of place there.

Where has Vittoria gone? Do you guys think she is a Chanel exclusive or something?

Irina at Valentino was just so random! Same for Lara Stone.. and her walk was just so bad.

Where has Vittoria gone? Do you guys think she is a Chanel exclusive or something?

She just walked for Givenchy...which had a pretty weird cast, i mean, Sasha Luss, Jacquelyn Jablonski, in 2020? today's castings were really bad with their "stunt" choices.

I agree @dsamg – but I do think that hugely publicized models like the Hadids and Kaia, or even popular Youtubers like Sanne Vloet, show that there's a wide Gen-Z and millennial audience still interested in models (even if we do consider them to be a different category of model than Rianne). I feel like it's a catch-22 of big brands and publications not viewing the Riannes as being as profitable; and the less they give those girls the microphone, the more they're cutting short their longterm following or potential views, as well as slowly alienating part of their audience.

Based on views, impressions, traffic, sales, revenue, and other metrics, it's showing the exact opposite. There are more influencers/celeb/global celebs/local celebs who have filled the vacuum and identity politics make models less aspirational. Doesn't mean they are going away but increasingly less relevant.

That's a great point, re: influencers filling the vacuum...

But I'd still argue that FashionTV coverage was never directed at mainstream consumption, but rather for fashion fans and followers to learn more about the industry and enhance their experience in following FW. I'd also argue that brands' and publications' dataset is incomplete, because we don't know yet how to quantify or monetize social media's coverage of these shows comprehensively: for example, some of the consumers are only watching Giselle Norman's instagram stories or TikTok videos backstage, rather than seeing the same show on Vogue and being including in their web traffic stats.

I feel like the audience is still here, (as evidenced by TFS!) it's just shifting, and has a few more nuances that are difficult to know how to tap into... especially when the consumer is given so many options.

Hermes had its best cast in a long time. I dont remember when was the last time I saw so many current/it girls. Did they change its CD? What happened?

Rubik looked like she's 45, Lara Stone looked miserable and could barely walk, and I can't stand Adut. I don't know why but she irritates me. I also don't like Lulu but she looked good in motion.
I used to like Adut cos she's an Adelaide girl like me but she irritates the hell out of me as well now. I just find her to be so into herself. Had to unfollow her cos her captions made me cringe.

I love seeing Rubik but agree on the age thing. I used to wonder how she looked so young when she smoked so much but all of a sudden this year she is looking a lot older. I don't mind though as I like seeing more mature women as I get a bit older.

I love seeing Rubik but agree on the age thing. I used to wonder how she looked so young when she smoked so much but all of a sudden this year she is looking a lot older. I don't mind though as I like seeing more mature women as I get a bit older.

She just needed her messy bob yesterday :smile:
She probably wants to or has to maintain skinny body and that reflects on her face.
I also like seeing more mature women, especially on the runway because they know how to wear clothes and look confident while doing so, unlike some of these young girls whose only aim is to go from point a to point b.

This season i have been most impressed by Sacha Quenby, Mika Schneider, Achenrin Madit & Valerie Scherzinger...I really rate highly Felice Noordhoff as having a very good walk ...I must say i'm impressed with the maturity & confidence of Giselle Norman & Hannah Motler have shown this season ...My favorite story of the season is Barbara Valente without a doubt considering she debuted as an exclusive in that infamous Prada S/S16 cast & had literally done nothing for 3 yrs to comeback last summer & walk all these shows is impressive to me ...Anyway looking forward to seeing Imaan walk McQueen tonight & Louis Vuitton tomorrow ...:smile:

Last edited:
Imaan will be at LV tomorrow? Or are you looking forward to LV in general?

What happened to Miriam Sanchez? She came from nowhere to top walker last season and even booked a Prada campaign and is nowhere this season? Is she back to being a LV exclusive?

Paris is tough on so many girls. Promising new faces like Cynthia and Ambar only booking 1 show so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->