Movies with great fashion!

Gone With The Wind have sabsolutely aaaaamazing costumes!

also Almost Famous is great for fashionwise.

and I must say that I loved the way Jennifer Aniston
was styled in Along Came Polly.
it was so colorful, laid back and kinda boho.

jenaniston.net

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the fashion in Bridesmaids. It was so well done and Annie (Kristen Wiig's character) had a really lovely look. Well, actually pretty much all of the characters had a well defined sense of style which was nice to see.

MV5BNjQyMDk1MjY5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA5OTAxNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY425__large.jpg

bridesmaids-movie-poster_large_large.jpg

MV5BMTkzMjY3MjAxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY2NjkwNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY504__large.jpg

MV5BMjE4NjI0NzQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk4OTAxNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY425__large.jpg

weheartit.com

70765853_4KyPHGOu_c.jpg

70766327_ZecMniuZ_c.jpg

pinterest.com

The Girlfriend Experience (2009) Directed by Steven Soderbergh, starring Sasha Grey

My caps, property of Magnolia pictures

I watched "Les amants du Flore" (2006) a few days ago and I loved the style of Simone de Beauvoir (played by Anna Mouglalis) :blush:

veynar.jpg
4v1gkl.jpg

annamouglalis.unblog.fr

2lo0gna.jpg
xdxw11.jpg

1g3iar.jpg
10nrps4.jpg

2nm3upz.jpg

vogue.it

Not sure if it was mentioned but midnight in paris with Rachel mcadams, Owen Wilson and Marion had some really nice costumes.

I love Midnight in Paris, all the looks on Marion Cotillard are great. The Duchess with Kiera Knightley is also a great movie for fashion isnpiration, the costumes are to die for. She looks great in every single outfit.

TheDuchess-300.jpg
%2528220708124526%2529keira-knightly-duchess.jpg

peoplenespanol
limited-addiction

Marie Antoinette
The fall, The cell and Bram Stoker Dracula , Snow White (eiko ishioka designs are stunning)
In the mood for love

^ I love the costumes in the last one, Wong Kar Wai also did a good job with the light and set choices to make the clothes looking divine.

I was surprised that no one's mentioned Bright Star. I thought the costumes in that were just beautiful, especially some of the ones worn by Abbie Cornish's character (abbie-cornish.org)

I think occasionally period films can look a bit dull and drab, depending on the era. But in this case they were lucky to be dealing with a character (Fanny Brawne) who was well known for her unique sense of syle, and love of fashion. They stayed true to that idea within the film without taking it so over the top as to make her look completely out of place and ridiculous.

You guys already named most of them...

Bertolucci's The Conformist has great clothing!

Lots of Woody Allen films: besides obvious ones like Annie Hall, there is Play it Again Sam, Interiors, or more recently Match Point and Vicky Christina Barcelona. His characters are often well dressed and styled well.

Pretty much anything by Sofia Coppola.

The clothes in The Talented Mr Ripley were stunning.

For 90s stuff Singles; for 80s Pretty in Pink.

Love the clothes Eva Green wears in Cracks

Out of Africa was huge in its day.

There are gazillions more, of course, and I didn't even really consider costume drama...

Also anything by Wes Anderson...

The main actress in Demonlover; Catherine Keener in Being John Malkovic

Badlands and Tree of Life were both lovely. An Education - loved the clothes!

Top 10 Stylish Films

Apologies if the thread already exists but I could not find it.

What are you top 10/15 stylish films - by this I mean movies with beautiful (and often iconic) costume, elegant sets, witty dialogue and great acting. You rarely find all of these things in one film but here is my list (with accompanying YT videos where relevant) of some that fall under the title "Stylish", in no particular order:

* Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky (2009)

* The English Patient (1996)

* La Grande Bellezza (2013) [English title - The Great Beauty]

* Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
* The Single Man (2009)
* La Dolce Vita (1960)

* The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

* Cracks (2009)

* Brideshead Revisited (2008) or (1981)

* Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) and many other collaborations of Hepburn and Givenchy

* La Baie des Anges (1963) [English Title - Bay of Angels]
* Lola (1961)

Also worth a mention are

* Il Conformista (1970) [English Title - The Conformist]
* L'Année Dernière à Marienbad (1961) [English Title - Last Year at Mirenbad]
* La Règle du Jeu (1939) [English Title - The Rules of the Game]

Love to know what films you would recommend someone looking to appreciate great stylish cinema.

Stoker (2012)
Sleeping Beauty (2011)
Lolita (1997)
The American Psycho (2000)
Damage (1992)
The Lover (=L'Amant) (1992)
The Consequences of Love (=Le Conseguenze dell'amore) (2004)
The Great Gatsby (1974 & 2013)
Croupier (1998)
Beau Pere (1981)
Factory Girl (2006)
Nowhere Boy (2009)
Alfie (2004)
Little Ashes (2008)
Wall Street (1987)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
La Piscine (1969)
Funny Face (1957)
Innocence (2004)
Somewhere (2010)
American Gigolo (1980)
Black Swan (2010)
Romeo+Juliet (1996)

would love to hear more...

I recently rewatched Great Expectations (1998) for the first time in years and I was struck by the style specifically Gwyneth's clothing though Anne Bancroft had some great looks as well. The amount of green in the film's color scheme, particularly Estella's (Gwyneth's) costumes calls to mind two things for me: envy, and money. Both of which are associated with her character. (cineplex, eldestandonly.com:(

Actually as I finish posting these it occurs to me that the green in the costumes could be indicative of several main characters' naivete as well. Miss Dinnsmoor was naive in her devotion to her fiance many years earlier. Finn is naive to believe that Miss Dinnsmoor has any good intentions towards him, and Estella is barely her own person- all she knows is what she's been taught. When she was just a child Miss Dinnsmoor decided that she'd raised to be a weapon to hurt and manipulate men. So that becomes her identity. In the final scene of the film she's wearing white (I couldn't find a pic of the dress) which could symbolize that she's no longer the naive child Miss Dinsmoor raised to cause pain, but rather is a blank slate- she can finally become herself.

Or maybe I'm just reading waaaay too much into the color of the costumes!

So many greats there ^^^^^^^^^^

American Hustle
Serpico
Carlitos way
Scarface
Sophies choice
Side effects
And list continues

If you've not yet seen ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE you must! It's brilliant. But the clothes are perrrrrrfection also! :heart:

all Vogue.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->