NBC's 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search' reality competition

Sloan

I love model_mom!
Reaction score
NBC's 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search' reality competition series to premiere January 5

By Steve Rogers, 12/08/2004

NBC and Sports Illustrated have announced that Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search, their new Top Model-like reality modeling competition series that was first announced in August, will premiere on Wednesday, January 5 at 8PM ET/PT.

Taking over the time period left vacent by the network's cancellation of its first year LAX drama, the six-episode Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search will feature twelve women competing for a million dollar modeling contract and the chance to appear in the magazine's annual Swimsuit Issue, which will hit newsstands shortly after the show's February finale (how's that for some synergistic cross-marketing.)

Similar to Top Model, Swimsuit Model Search's contestants will live together in Los Angeles while attempting to win the magazine appearance and NEXT Model Management modeling contract. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search's three-person judgeing panel will consist of former Sports Illustrated model Roshumba Williams, NEXT Model Management CEO Joe Wilkenfeld, and former Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue editor and creator Jule Campbell.

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search is produced by Pariah, PB & J Television and Sports Illustrated. Gavin Polone, Patty Ivins, Julie Pizzi, Terry McDonell and Roy S. Johnson executive produces the series. Jessika Borsiczky serves as producer along with co-producer Jonathan K. Frank for Pariah.

They have reality shows on everything else, so I see nothing wrong with this one. I saw a promo and there was a girl crying.

I remember seeing ads for this in Sports Illustrated, and I think that it's just fine. It'll suit the clientel and be more appropriate to reality television than America's Next Top Model, for example. It's very within the magazine's image and should be a relative success.

those are some big bucks only to be rivalled by the victoria's secrets show!

Swimsuit Reality Show- Vicious NY Times review

The Audience's Vote Counts on Swimsuit Reality Show

[size=-1]By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN [/size]
spacer.gif

Published: January 5, 2005

i.gif
n her sad, mild voice, Cheryl Tiegs greets the contestants on "Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Model Search" tonight on NBC, setting the tone for a sad, mild hour.

This is one of those reality shows in which viewers - known in the press materials as "America" - vote on the winner. (The prize is a layout in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and a contract with Next, a modeling agency.) With the notable exception of "American Idol," shows that use this system, which has a reputation for being rigged, often hurt their credibility.

Shows should stick with the draconian-panel-of-experts format, especially when it comes to beauty. America, after all, might just vote for whoever catches its untrained eye. It's much better for the authority and drama of a show to leave it to fashion photographers and grandes dames like Tyra Banks to hand down judgments on the modelly arts. Otherwise, we might just think being a model has something to do with being pretty, which you can tell at a glance, and which you don't need a reality show to determine.

Tonight we get the requisite lesson about how grueling modeling is. We hear a discussion among the contestants about the price of breast implants. We see girls not eating. We witness heartfelt confessionals in which girls talk about how much they want to win. (Krisi, 23: "Anybody who knows me, they know how bad I want it. How bad I've worked for it in my life. Please forgive me. Don't laugh at me.")

And we ogle girls, girls, girls. The contestants' first task is to walk a long catwalk in bikinis, while a panel of people from the modeling business - including an especially vulgar lecher named Joel Wilkenfeld, who runs Next - mutter about their strengths and weaknesses. ("Miles of legs" is a typical comment, and "She has love handles.")

Finally, the girls get up in front of the judges and several are cut. (The series has only six episodes, so the cuts are dramatic.) On tonight's episode, it's fair to say that - no matter what you think about reality television, modeling, bikinis, expertise, exhibitionism, vulgarity or even girls - you will not care in the least about who gets cut and who does not.

'Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Model Search'

NBC, tonight at 8, Eastern and Pacific times; 7, Central time

Gavin Polone, Patty Ivins, Julie Pizzi, Terry McDonell and Roy S. Johnson, executive producers; Jessica Borsiczky, producer; Jonathan K. Frank, co-producer; Roshumba Williams, Joel Wilkenfeld and Jule Campbell, judges. Produced by Pariah, PB&J Television and Sports Illustrated.

Since Julie Campbell is one of the judges, I gave this show a try tonight. In my adolescene I coveted her job thanks to that HBO documentary. Anyway, from what little I could stand, this show is unwatchable. It's a complete stinking waste of time.

None of the girls were memorable...I didn't know who was who, unlike ANTM where I can instantly pick a favorite.

jadedomega said:
None of the girls were memorable...I didn't know who was who, unlike ANTM where I can instantly pick a favorite.
I disagree, I never thought any of the ANTM girls were fashion-worthy. The swimsuit girls look great on tv but then I checked the site and they aren't special either =/

evexa said:
...I never thought any of the ANTM girls were fashion-worthy.
Me neither. The first season was at least somewhat original and provided a modicum of entertainment. But this new show tonight, blech, just pure tripe.

evexa said:
I disagree, I never thought any of the ANTM girls were fashion-worthy. The swimsuit girls look great on tv but then I checked the site and they aren't special either =/
I didn't say anything about "fashion-worthy". I said they weren't memorable to me, I don't know who's who and no one stands out to me unlike ANTM where I can instantly pick a favorite...

jadedomega said:
I didn't say anything about "fashion-worthy". I said they weren't memorable to me, I don't know who's who and no one stands out to me unlike ANTM where I can instantly pick a favorite...
Ah, I see.
And yeah, I know what you mean.

Man... I don't think any of those girls can even compare to the current SI girls. Most of them had great bodies, but facially I don't think they are up to par with Daniela Pestova, Petra Nemcova, Elsa Benitez, Veronica Verikova.. etc..:huh:

I saw it and thoght it was boring as hell. How could anyone build a show around cat-fighting wannabe models in bikinis and make it so tedious is beyond me... but there you go. :huh:

None of the would-be models impressed me that much, though Alicia resembles Patricia Barros a little, and Adaora is quite pretty in a unique way. In any case, I don't really think ANY of these chicks deserves a $1 million contract! :doh:

They got rid of a lot of the pretty ones... I didn't find the show notable.. and who was the old bag telling the girls to "work on their moves"... :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->