Nylon November 2008 : Paris Hilton

Paris should not be on cover of fashion mags let alone Nylon. huge mistake thats for sure.

We see Paris everyday in the tabloids. Apparently Nylon thinks we still can't get enough of her, so they offer us another Paris cover. Oh how they spoil us.

Peaches Geldof's first column :blink::ninja::rofl:
BRITISH INVASION

Peaches Geldof's debut column for NYLON Magazine!

The sun glows a burned orange as it sinks behind a skyscraper, a car horn screeches irritably, the wind whistles through the acres of willows in Central Park: New York, the most offbeat and eccentric city in America, is my new home.
I love it here. I live with my husband, Max, in Williamsburg, home of the plaid shirt and vintage Mecca Beacon’s Closet.

America is a strange place, a place of contradictions, but a place that never fails to change one’s world view. I am constantly surprised by this huge country—each state tells a different tale: It’s like a never-ending novel with each page more exciting and bizarre than the last.

Max and I settled on New York because I go to University here now, and of course work for my favourite fashion magazine, NYLON. Marvin, my great friend and the editor here, introduced me to the girl who would soon become one of my closest friends, Cory Kennedy. We present NYLON TV together, and it is the most irreverent, off-the-wall, and creative show I have ever had the pleasure of presenting. And I’ve presented a lot of television in my time. Cory (who splits her time between the East and the West Coasts) is at once shy, outgoing, and hilarious—a patchwork quilt of a girl, with the best sense of style out there.

My days here are spent working on interviews for NYLON TV, writing articles, and listening to Cory regale me with tales of her life in L.A., which are always ludicrous and funny, her high-pitched hyena laugh filling the office as Marvin strums his guitar and dreams up ideas for the next issue. I feel like I’m part of a movement—a magazine that encapsulates everything cool and strange and interesting.

Don’t get me wrong, I have always loved London, it’s a city where being unusual is accepted-the norm, even. The music scene is so strong that you can’t walk through certain areas without being compelled to duck into some dive bar to see a band playing music unlike anything you’ve heard before. I grew up there, walked its cobbled streets a thousand times, and frequented its infamous haunts. The skies are always gray and the weather is freezing, but the place is alive, an epicentre of art, and vibrant with culture. The decision to leave my homeland was difficult, but I’m happy I made it.

I traveled across America in a cramped, packed U-Haul and experienced parts of the U.S. not many people see unless they go off the beaten path. The days passed by in a haze of truck stops, fast food restaurants, and palm trees. Highlights included buying a sequined flannel shirt in Colorado for a dollar off an old Mexican woman, who told me it was a family heirloom; Max purchasing a James Dean printed metal lunchbox and using it as a makeshift handbag; being chased by a homeless man wearing a Slipknot T-shirt in Iowa; and going vintage shopping in a Pittsburg store where a 10-year-old kid in a 1970s flared pantsuit and fedora sold us the entire stock of clothes for fifty bucks. (Max loved this store and later changed into an ‘80s red silk evening dress to present the American Eagle music festival in Pittsburgh, to my amusement and his Chester French bandmate’s confusion.) In Indiana I joined some locals in a chewing tobacco competition. My Jack Kerouac adventure led me to New York, where I fell in love with the place all over again.

It’s a city where there is always something exciting to do. Girls here look like they just stepped off the catwalk: the Upper East Side society queens are dressed to the nines in McQueen and Prada, and the East Village hipsters look like extras from The Virgin Suicides or Desperately Seeking Susan.
My best friend here is a boy named Bunny. We spend our days traipsing around Manhattan—him in skin-tight plaid trousers, huge geek glasses, and a mass of red hair sticking out haphazardly from beneath an Amish-style hat. We buy pizza from street vendors, run through Times Square marvelling at its energy, and source new vintage boutiques. Nights involve dancing at Beatrice Inn or Lit, watching the Misshapes spin some tunes, or catching one of the amazing bands Brooklyn has to offer.

New York is a place where I finally feel at home. Driving over the Brooklyn Bridge at night in a yellow cab (the novelty still hasn’t worn off!) and gazing out over the tops of the skyscrapers-their peaks reaching ever upward, lights twinkling out of the endless windows like fireflies, their glow reflected in the water of the Hudson River—there’s no place I’d rather be.
--PEACHES GELDOF
http://www.nylonmag.com/?section=article&parid=2154

wow, this has got be the worst issue i've seen from nylon. the cover? the subject? I mean really, has marvin lost his mind? the lame paris for president video? i mean there's nothing out there ground breakingly cool enough?

the peaches article is beyond ridiculously bad.

And what is up with all the typos in this issue and infantile writing? In the "tomboys":

Alison Mosshart (she is from Florida, people, not the U.K.!!)

uh, all that's missing is the 11!! from the end of that sentence and it looks like its written by a bratty 13 yo on a forum.

and

skull rings are better than a diamonds.

WTF?? come on guys. and to think good writers are being fired as we speak and this drivel comes out in print.

Even the collage on the last page looks awful and oddly empty.

Seriously Nylon? No wonder I'm not subscribing for after the free issues end.

they keep telling me the subscription is ending, but the issues keep coming:cry::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cory (who splits her time between the East and the West Coasts) is at once shy, outgoing, and hilarious—a patchwork quilt of a girl

What does that even mean? I refuse to buy Nylon again whilst that brat Peaches is 'working' there :ninja:

I don't even think I'm going to bother getting even the occasional issue when my free subscription ends. Do they read this and just block out 99% of what people have been saying about the recent issues? What's wrong with them? I held onto the hope that the magazine would return to being more like how it use to be or even better. What a silly idea for me to have in my head. It's not even only the cover choice that bugs me as much as the pointless content in general. I flipped through the magazine and just felt bored. I should have gotten around to getting more good issues when I had the chance like the Paris issue with Ludivine. I didn't expect the magazine to become what it has.

ahhh this magazine has gone downhill big time... also it really bugs me that they mentioned seth rogen as a part of their 'american issue' when he is a proud canadian! :rolleyes:

This is perfection. What a fun cover, pretty much eye challenging and playful.
Nylon
Photographer: Robin Jonsson
Model: Anya Rozova

[elite, robinjonsson]

Last edited by a moderator:
The peaches article has done it for me. I shall never, ever waste my money on Nylon again. What a vacuous pile of tripe it has become.

Paris Hilton In Nylon Is Amazing
I Love Her VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY Much

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->