Oscars 2010

Documentary (Short Subject)

• China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province” Jon Alpert and Matthew O’Neill
  • The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner” Daniel Junge and Henry Ansbacher
  • The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant” Steven Bognar and Julia Reichert
  • Music by Prudence” Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett
  • Rabbit à la Berlin” Bartek Konopka and Anna Wydra
Film Editing

• Avatar” Stephen Rivkin, John Refoua and James Cameron
  • District 9” Julian Clarke
  • The Hurt Locker” Bob Murawski and Chris Innis
  • Inglourious Basterds” Sally Menke
  • Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Joe Klotz
Makeup

• Il Divo” Aldo Signoretti and Vittorio Sodano
  • Star Trek” Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow
  • The Young Victoria” Jon Henry Gordon and Jenny Shircore
Music (Original Score)

• Fantastic Mr. Fox” Alexandre Desplat
  • The Hurt Locker” Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
  • Sherlock Holmes” Hans Zimmer
  • Up” Michael Giacchino
Music (Original Song)

• Almost There” from “The Princess and the Frog” Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
  • Down in New Orleans” from “The Princess and the Frog” Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
  • Loin de Paname” from “Paris 36” Music by Reinhardt Wagner Lyric by Frank Thomas
  • Take It All” from “Nine” Music and Lyric by Maury Yeston
  • The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)” from “Crazy Heart” Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone

Penelope Cruz pretty much stole a nomination here. Samantha Morton should've been nominated.

The Blind Side's nomination was definitely bought. They really want good ratings this year. Sandra Bullock stole Abbie Cornish's nomination. Meryl Streep didn't deserve to be nominated, either.

Overall, not so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy overall with everything (yay I:cool: BUT

Best Supporting is a joke. We all know MoNique will get it but Melanie Laurent for IB and Julianne Moore for A Single Man should be there instead of Maggie and Penelope. I can't believe Penelope has been nominated. People are going mental over that. She can GTFO for all I care.

Best Actress well those 5 are strong but I am dissapointed that Abbie for Bright Star and Emily Blunt for Young Victoria were ignored.

Overall I think it wasn't really a good year for female roles.
£100 says that you haven't seen Crazy Heart. :rolleyes:

Poor Julianne. She has had three oscar noms and two in one year. She has bad luck. There is always someone who has more hype.

She actually has four nominations, which makes it even worse. It's a shame she wasted a few years after 2002 making crappy films. It looks like she's going back to making quality films again.

btw,they raised the best film category from 5 to 10 this year so now you see many more films have a great chance. i'm happy about that because it will make this category less predictable than previous(although this year is almost expected still) and more films are being recognised.

as for who does or doesn't deserve,well honestly,i haven't seen any of these films yet apart from julie and julia(hated it to be honest) so i can't really speak to that. but i do agree it seems suspiciously odd that a couple actors continue to be nominated year after year.

It is still a tv show... i bet that if they weren´t broadcast the nominees would be different...

I'm happy to see that Maggie Gyllenhaal and Jeremy Renner got nominated but I still think and want Jeff Bridges to win and Kathryn Bigelow to win for Director and it would be no surprise when Avatar wins for best picture.

I refuse to believe Avatar is nominated for Cinematography.

I'm happy that Up is nominated for five oscars. thats really all i care about :lol:

i havent seen most of these movies to judge but i wasn't shocked when i saw the nominations. its practically the same as the golden globes

I'm just glad that Maggie got a nom, wont even adress the stupidity that is Cruz's nomination!

£100 says that you haven't seen Crazy Heart. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm broke :P but in my defence it doesn't come out in the UK till 18 Feb and I had heard nothing about this movie until a month ago when Jeff was getting nominated for it and then started winning awards.

A Single Man opens here next week and I'm so going. Every review I've read said the cast is amazing plus she got a Globe nom Maggie didn't.

I didn't even know Samatha Morton had a movie out. She is a good actress even though she's a b*tch in real life. I missed Nine when it first came out and it's only on at the Leicester Square Oden which is a ripoff so I have to wait for DVD.

Melanie is amazing in IB and it's sucks that she is being overlooked just like Abbie for Bright Star. I really enjoyed both Anna and Vera in Up In The Air which was a better film than I thought it would be. I haven't seen Precious but MoNique will win as she's the front runner.

The Messenger (movie Morton was in) was totally ripped, they just got Woody up for the awards, Ben Foster was great in it too.

As for the Crazy Part, the reviews aren't raving that much about the movie itself (for which they say it's pretty cliche story), as much as the performances from Bridges and Gyllenhaal.

Melanie,Abbie and Emily are totally robbed in awards season.

what about spike jonze and "where the wild things are"??? completely ignored and i thought that was by far one of the best films of 2009.

I don't get all the Meryl Streep hate. Yeah she might be nominated almost every single year, but her performance in Julie & Julia was phenomenal. No other actress could have played that role any more perfect than her. Plus, there's a good chance she won't win since the Oscars rarely give it to her anyways.

Where The Wild Things Are was pretty much snubbed throughout the whole award season.

Emily Blunt in The Young Victoria was snubbed as well.

Julianne Moore was snubbed also.

Penelope Cruz's nominations are getting ridiculous. Rebecca Hall was superior in Vicky Christina Barcelona, and Cotillard in Nine. Christ!

I like Penelope Cruz but only in Spanish speaking roles. Haven't seen Nine and not desperate to despite the good cast because I can't stand Rob Marshall. However, I do believe Marion Cotillard was being pushed for Best Actress, not Supporting, which is why she's not there.

I think the 10 movies selected for Best Picture are a decent bunch. I've seen all except Avatar (will fix this very soon) and The Blind Side which is not out in the UK yet and I know almost nothing about it. However, I think you can tell which are the "real" Best Pic noms - just match them against the Director category.

Very happy to see A Serious Man in there and also An Education which while flawed in places contains some particularly good performances.

My prediction at the moment is that Kathryn Bigelow will pick up Best Director but the Academy may plump for Avatar for Best Picture. The Academy likes to be seen to fix past mistakes, and no woman has ever won the Director gong. And then you've got Avatar which would be the populist winner and is bringing in the audiences and money.

Sorry I'm broke :P but in my defence it doesn't come out in the UK till 18 Feb and I had heard nothing about this movie until a month ago when Jeff was getting nominated for it and then started winning awards.

A Single Man opens here next week and I'm so going. Every review I've read said the cast is amazing plus she got a Globe nom Maggie didn't.

I didn't even know Samatha Morton had a movie out. She is a good actress even though she's a b*tch in real life. I missed Nine when it first came out and it's only on at the Leicester Square Oden which is a ripoff so I have to wait for DVD.

Melanie is amazing in IB and it's sucks that she is being overlooked just like Abbie for Bright Star. I really enjoyed both Anna and Vera in Up In The Air which was a better film than I thought it would be. I haven't seen Precious but MoNique will win as she's the front runner.
Well I haven't seen it, either. But I've heard excellent things about her performance. The moral here is, just see the film, or you might end up changing your opinion!

I don't think the amount of awards a person wins equates to a great performance (Sandra Bullock, anyone?). I haven't seen Moore, either (stupid UK release dates) and I love both Gyllenhaal and Moore in general, so I'm definitely seeing them both before I determine who deserved to be nominated.

Oh and Samantha Morton is more than just a good actress. She definitely should've been nominated.

Last edited by a moderator:
i seriously dont get the point of nominating the same people year after year... its ridiculous.

Happy for all the nominations for The Blind Side, Up in the Air, Up, District 9, Inglourious Basterds, An Education and The Hurt Locker. Hopefully Sandra gets Actress, Waltz gets Supporting Actor and Mo'Nique nabs Supporting Actress. I know Jeremy Renner has no chance to get Best Actor so I'll have to do with Bridges.

I can't believe Moore, Morton AND Laurent were snubbed. And for whom? Cruz and GYLLENHAAL!!! Ugh, as much I like surprises, Gyllenhaal showing up was so lame. And I'm kinda getting tired of Cruz, tbh. I find it funny that she's now this serious Oscar contender for everything she does, lol, whereas five years ago (before Volver) everyone thought she was an awful actress. I'd like her to be somewhere in between. Have some respect, etc but no be stealing other people's nominations every year.

btw,they raised the best film category from 5 to 10 this year so now you see many more films have a great chance. i'm happy about that because it will make this category less predictable than previous(although this year is almost expected still) and more films are being recognised.

I think it's a dreadful idea, tbh. You just can't find 10 truly Academy Award-worthy films made in one year, and I think this list of Best Picture nominees showcases it very well. What the hell Avatar and The Blind Side are doing as Best Picture nominees is just beyond me, and while I liked Inglourious Basterds in many ways, potential Best Picture of 2009? Really? An Academy Award nomination alone used to be such a coveted, hard to achieve recognition of excellence among the average. Now some of the average are nominated for excellence.

I'm really quite disappointed with they way award politics has steered this year's Oscar nominations. Penélope Cruz is to me beyond overrated as an actress, and has yet to convince me of being even just passable in an English-speaking role. The same which goes for Sandra Bullock, with the exception that she is generally not that... highly... rated. Meryl Streep I think often deserves her nominations, but sometimes wins more because she is Meryl Streep than because she really did outdo the rest. But I'm expecting (and dreading) the award will go to Bullock. I cringe at the thought of her in the future being referred to as an "Academy Award-winning actress". Oh, God no. :doh:

The only real surprise here was Jeremy Renner, but at least it was a pleasant one.

Last year was so disappointing in terms of films overall, though. My only interest in the Oscars this year is Christoph Waltz, who really very much deserves to win. But perhaps even more so than with Bullock, I am not looking forward to see Avatar win Best Picture or James Cameron :smile:yuk:smile: Best Director. I really had quite enough of Cameron's transparent self-importance at the Golden Globes.

Best Supporting is a joke. We all know MoNique will get it but Melanie Laurent for IB and Julianne Moore for A Single Man should be there instead of Maggie and Penelope.

Although I have to confess I much preferred Diane Kruger over Mélanie Laurent in Inglourious Basterds, I personally don't think either were quite Oscar-worthy. At the same time, I do think certain performances that should have been nominated in the female categories were sacrificed for more prominent names (and in this instance I really want to particularly bring up Cruz and Bullock, both of whom barely deserve their nominations. Ah, who am I kidding here, I don't think they do at all. Ew).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->