Early Oscar Buzz (2009)

There's about a 1% chance he doesn't get nominated. He has a decent chance of winning it.

There's about a 1% chance he doesn't get nominated. He has a decent chance of winning it.

That's comforting to hear. I haven't really been following the awards season this year and how it's been progressing, tbh. I'm one of those lazy people who are only ever really interested in the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes. Sounds like he's getting the recognition he deserves, though! :buzz:

"That's a bingo!"

National Society of Film Critics Awards

Picture: The Hurt Locker (Summit)
Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Actor: Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker
Actress: Yolande Moreau, Seraphine (Music Box)
Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds (Weinstein/Universal), and Paul Schneider, Bright Star (Apparition)
Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, Precious (Lionsgate)
Screenplay: Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man (Focus)
Foreign-Language Film: Summer Hours (IFC)
Nonfiction Film: The Beaches of Agnes (Cinema Guild)
Cinematography: Christian Berger, The White Ribbon (Sony Classics)
Production design: Nelson Lowry, Fantastic Mr. Fox (Fox)

It seems like Christopher Waltz is doing well! But I agree, his performance was phenomenal.

Care Mulligan may just as well be able to pull an upset come Oscar night and take home Best Actress away from Meryl Streep. I think the only reason why critics didn't enjoy Julie & Julia as much as they should have is because Julia Child's portrayal by Meryl Streep was phenomenal while Julie Powell's portrayal by Amy Adams was a bit weak and unnecessary to begin with. The Academy usually hates it when movies aren't completely solid, even though a portion of the movie is perfection.

carey mulligan has been getting a lot of buzz and she did a good job in an education.

i really think its between her and the girl from precious, gabourey sidibe.

^For the Oscar? I think those newbies have no chance. Though both were very good, Carey better of the two. The real race is between the two veterans Sandra and Meryl.

^ I agree. I think this will most likely turn into a compromise solution, where Sandra Bullock as the "underdog" and largely ignored, if veteran, actress to the legendary Streep takes home the prize, as the "surprise" of the evening. :P They do that, the Academy.

^For the Oscar? I think those newbies have no chance. Though both were very good, Carey better of the two. The real race is between the two veterans Sandra and Meryl.

Sandra has never been nominated for an Oscar, I believe. And if she does, I think it will go along the lines during 2008 with Anne Hathaway receiving so much notoriety with her role in Rachel Getting Married and then losing it to a more prominent (in terms of getting Oscar nods) actress.

I don't think Gabourey has a chance of winning, but a nomination is surely possible.

Meryl Streep hasn't won an Oscar in FOREVER! and I'm hoping the Academy (all 5,900+ of them) will at least give her it this time. But I doubt she will since she doesn't campaign anymore to win, yes there's actually some background campaigning going on for the Oscar race.

Care Mulligan or Meryl Streep are my bet for who will win the Oscar.

It might be hard to believe but the Oscar is actually between Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep.

Carey and Gabourey have no pull in Hollywood to pull off a win, especially up against two vets like Sandra and Meryl.

Sandra won a People's Choice Award last night, and while it doesn't really have an effect on winning an Oscar it doesn't hurt. Her speech was really sweet and charming and touching and people just love her. I'm expecting her to win the Globe on the 17th and give another great speech. As 'wrong' as it may seem, people constantly win awards for being well liked and having the buzz, etc, not really because they gave the best performance. Sandra has all the buzz in the world right now, she's a huge star, people love her, etc. Not saying she will win, because Meryl pretty much has all of those qualifications as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if either one of those comes out on top.

Right now I'm thinking
GG Drama - Bullock
GG Comedy - Streep
BFCA - Streep
SAG - Bullock
BAFTA - Mulligan
Spirit - Sidibe

I watched the Blind Side and it was better than expected but Sandra wasn't that good. :unsure:

I watched the Blind Side and it was better than expected but Sandra wasn't that good. :unsure:

Agreed. I think the whole "Sandra's best performance of her career" comment is being understood as a definite Oscar nom w/ a possible win, but it shouldn't be. Sandra is very talented, but she doesn't need an Oscar for approval. Plus, when I was watching The Blind Side, I couldn't help but think that a different actress could have played the part better. Sandra Bullock really does shine way more during comedies. I mean, her performance in The Proposal was genius, and I usually hate romantic-comedies.

I had the opposite reaction, lol. The movie was ok, kinda blah, but Sandra was actually pretty great. I think the reason her performance works so well is because it's such a reserved performance. Someone else may have gone for over the top, but she didn't and the result proved stunning.

I agree about the movie but I thought Sandra was brilliant in the role. I'm not sure if I want her to win an oscar for it though. It all depends on who gets nominated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Round one of voting is over at BAFTA and they've published their longlist of nominations for the second round. From these, the members pick the final five nominations in each category for the awards ceremony on February 21st.

BAFTA film longlist

I agree about the movie but I thought Sandra was brilliant in the role. I'm not sure if I want her to win an oscar for it though. It all depends on who gets nominated.

It was good but I wasn't wowed by it. If she does get nominated she'll be the underdog that the general movie viewing population will be rooting for just like Leeroi said about Anne Hathaway last year. There were better performances tbh.
I'm sad Penelope Cruz isn't getting a lot of recognition for Broken Embraces. It's her best performance yet. :ninja:

It was good but I wasn't wowed by it. If she does get nominated she'll be the underdog that the general movie viewing population will be rooting for just like Leeroi said about Anne Hathaway last year. There were better performances tbh.
I'm sad Penelope Cruz isn't getting a lot of recognition for Broken Embraces. It's her best performance yet. :ninja:

Same here. I thought her role for Broken Embraces was far better than in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Her win last year against Amy Adams and Viola Davis was a bit shocking!

The Oscar's Best Foreign Language Film shortlist was released yesterday[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
  • The Secret in their Eyes (El Secreto de Sus Ojos) – Juan Jose Campanella (Argentina)
  • Samson & Delilah – Warwick Thornton (Australia)
  • The World Is Big and Salvation Lurks around the Corner – Stephan Komandarev (Bulgaria)
  • A Prophet (Un Prophète) – Jacques Audiard (France)
  • The White Ribbon – Michael Haneke (Germany)
  • Ajami – Scandar Copti and Yaron Shani (Israel)
  • Kelin – Ermek Tursunov (Kazakhstan)
  • Winter in Wartime – Martin Koolhoven (The Netherlands)
  • The Milk of Sorrow – Claudia Llosa (Peru)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"