Originally posted by Meg@Sep 24 2004, 05:24 PM
Anyone have pics of the machine line?
[snapback]374902[/snapback]​
Project Alabama Machine

Originally posted by faust@Sep 24 2004, 09:25 AM
ditto, the prices are not justified.
[snapback]374635[/snapback]​
not in the least :yuk:

Doesn't the "machine" change the aesthetic of what this line started out as? If I remember correctly, Alabama started this project when she was doing a documentary on quilting bees in her home state. My grandmother was a quilter and did it all by hand, that's what this line was all about. I wish Mama wasn't in a home because she could easily be working with this line since she lives around Florence.... :cry:
Agreed that the prices are incredibly steep, but if I could afford it I would buy it in an instant. There is so much love and care that is put into each garment. The people doing this work are doing it because they love it and each piece is usually touched by a group of workers.
I have always been a fan of this line. There is something so inspiring about teaching these women how to use there skills and talents as quilters to create something so beautiful for the fashion industry.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Sep 25 2004, 03:36 PM
the machine line looks good
[snapback]375557[/snapback]​

really? I don't like the machine line at all and purechris, thats so sweet about your mum and after hearing that I sort of agree :ninja:

I cannot agree with you more,Chris. And I'll be the first to say that. I too grew up surrounded by a quilt-making grandmother. Its just that,when you put it into a global persepective,people are going to want a bit more than just handworked pieces for 500-3000$. There are too many out there right now(like Tess Giberson for instance)who are doing one-of-a-kind handworked collections but are pairing those aspects with an equal amount of great tailoring and construction---and for less.

Btw,I can't believe there is somebody else on here associated with Alabama. Its definitely a small world. And if I offended you by my nightmare comment,I'm sorry :blush:

Machine line does kind of change the aesthetic. But I'm not sure as I never heard Chanin say it was all about the hand--more so,just craft in general.

^^Not offended, it would take a lot more than that....my father is from Alabama, but I have never lived there.

True, she never said anything about the "hand" and sewing a garment has just as much TLC as quilting it does, so calling it "machine" is perfect. I'd like to see something a little different so it didn't come off as PA's diffusion line....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->