Project Runway

Meanwhile, that Jay McCarrol rant was so awful. He may have shown one of the better collections, but NO ONE is allowed that kind of vitriol (if the interview is to be believed) unprovoked. Alcohol is a lame excuse. No one forced him to drink it. And saying ALL journalists destroy lives is gerneralization, marginaizaltion and an insult to journalists who live their lives respectively.

You're right- he should never have done what he did, but I think he deserved to win, and hey, there are many well-known people known to blow-up about things and have crazy scenes. Jay McCarrol is just one of them. If you loved his clothes, would you refuse to wear them because you don't like the person who designed them?

em 692 said:
You're right- he should never have done what he did, but I think he deserved to win, and hey, there are many well-known people known to blow-up about things and have crazy scenes. Jay McCarrol is just one of them. If you loved his clothes, would you refuse to wear them because you don't like the person who designed them?

I personally don't think he is talented enough to deserve such an ego. He should have won because he was the best on the show but let's compare him to real designers.... especially the one's he's blatantly copied...Anna Sui, Alexander Mcqueen, Gaultier, Stella Mcartney, he doesn't even come close. He was better than the rest but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

You don't see Alber Elbaz, Mcqueen, or Theyskens making an *** of themselves in public or interviews...huh...strange.

em 692 said:
See, I actually preferred Kara Shaun for the win, despite her obvious problems with originality in her final collection. But that's neither here nor there, because design preference is subject to taste anyway. I think his final collection was better than Kara's, but not necessarily good enough for me to think of him as a bonafide fashion talent. Yet.

But you and I aren't disagreeing regarding his behaviour. Let me just add that he hasn't even started his career so playing the diva card is both unwarranted and frankly, gauche.

And yes, I would refuse to buy the clothing of someone whose personality turns me off. It's for that reason that I refuse to buy anything by Donna Karan or Tommy Hilfiger (not that he's designing anyway) despite seeing some actual value in some of their items. There are tons of talented designers out there anyway. I lose nothing by not patronizing the brands of people I have no respect for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved his collection and how he integrated the headphones. I thought it was original and he deserved to win. About the rant... I don't know, it's who he is. You can't expect someone to immediately tame down their attitude when it's how they've been for so long. I love him despite it all.

<3 Me.

I wasn't a fan of the headphones, they seemed a bit too gimmicky and the actual use of volume on the side of the head like that was done by alexander mcqueen A/W 04 and he did a much better job.

baklanyc said:
See, I actually preferred Kara Shaun for the win, despite her obvious problems with originality in her final collection. But that's neither here nor there, because design preference is subject to taste anyway. I think his final collection was better than Kara's, but not necessarily good enough for me to think of him as a bonafide fashion talent. .

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jay, but Kara went the extra mile.

In the real word, she would have gotten the job over Jay because of her assertiveness.

I only know of Tim Gunn via the show, and through a brief interlude with him at my friend Peter's show. I take it you have some negative feelings about him? I suppose it can happen about all higher-ups in one's schools...

We all barely see him around school. Plus both him and Carmela (another high up adminstration) seem to be totally out of touch with the reality of things. Over the course of the last few years they've rapidly been changing the curiculum and one of the things that have gone for the worse in my opinion (and many of the professors) is students knowledge and ability about sewing.

Granted, we probably won't have to serious sew again in our lives after school, but that sewing/draping knowledge is what has helped me to be more inventive with my designs as I learn new things.

And in regards to Parsons Students participating, I doubt it. I think having Tim as a part of the show means no alum, faculty or current student can enter for. My former professor and friend was almost on the show and was not picked for this very reason I believe. He's a Parsons graduate plus he works as professor teaching two major courses for Sophomores.

Morningstar said:
We all barely see him around school. Plus both him and Carmela (another high up adminstration) seem to be totally out of touch with the reality of things. Over the course of the last few years they've rapidly been changing the curiculum and one of the things that have gone for the worse in my opinion (and many of the professors) is students knowledge and ability about sewing.

Granted, we probably won't have to serious sew again in our lives after school, but that sewing/draping knowledge is what has helped me to be more inventive with my designs as I learn new things.

And in regards to Parsons Students participating, I doubt it. I think having Tim as a part of the show means no alum, faculty or current student can enter for. My former professor and friend was almost on the show and was not picked for this very reason I believe. He's a Parsons graduate plus he works as professor teaching two major courses for Sophomores.

Yeah although I could see how things easily become unfair I sort of feel like the whole comepetition loses some validity by omiting a very large pool of talent from entering.

fashionicon said:
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jay, but Kara went the extra mile.

In the real word, she would have gotten the job over Jay because of her assertiveness.
Word has it that she was hired by Sean John.

Mutterlein said:
I wasn't a fan of the headphones, they seemed a bit too gimmicky and the actual use of volume on the side of the head like that was done by alexander mcqueen A/W 04 and he did a much better job.

I need to go check that collection out then.

<3 Me.

i didn't really a problem w/ the show. it's tv! w/out jay it probably would have been a little boring. they got their ratings, and a second run..maybe they'll choose from a wider talent pool this time.

funnyfan said:
Famous models on Project Runway! Can YOU guess who is who??? :wink:

pic_runway_ep11_kara_7.jpg

(BTW, the designers fought over this one when she came into the audition!)

WHOA! It's Cintia Dicker! I didn't even notice when I watched the finale! Now I'll have to catch a marathon or something to see her again...

Just curious -- how did you know that the designers fought over her? That's awesome, though, it means that she's really in demand! ^^

^Jay and Kara were kind of arguing over who got to use her when they were picking models. It was really cute...and it was cool seeing Cintia.

^Nope, it's still a mystery. Personally, I think it was probably just a crew memember. The contestants are constantly filmed, and I think if they had footage of one of the designers doing it, they would have showed it.

morgan38 said:
^Jay and Kara were kind of arguing over who got to use her when they were picking models. It was really cute...and it was cool seeing Cintia.

Thanks for the info! Was this part actually aired?? If it was, only more reason to watch the finale again! *sigh* I wasn't aware of Cintia in those times, so I couldn't have noticed even if the argument was on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->