Originally posted by Nemova@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:33 pm

PS: I just read your post there, you're nasty!! :lol:

Nemova
hmm...i like to think i'm just a little naughty... :wink:

it's the punk in me trying to get out.... :mohawk:

thanks for the back up... :flower:

Always a pleasure, fellow Clash-fan! :wink:
Enough of comradery, we've gone off-topic... :blush:

It's been a great pleasure sharing thoughts with you and model_mom. Always a warrant for mature and intelligent discussions. Thanks a lot! :flower:

Nemova

Originally posted by faust+Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:04 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:04 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by marc jacobs addict@Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:00 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-FC5
@Mar 18th, 2004 - 12:58 pm
and models over celebs :angry:

agreee!!! i cant stand to see celebs on fashion magazines.

seriously, how long has it been since an actual model graced the cover of vogue???? :angry:
Who reads Vogue? :yuk: :ninja: [/b][/quote]
i do. :innocent:

Originally posted by marc jacobs addict+Mar 18th, 2004 - 3:16 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc jacobs addict @ Mar 18th, 2004 - 3:16 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by faust@Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:04 pm
Originally posted by marc jacobs addict@Mar 18th, 2004 - 1:00 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-FC5
@Mar 18th, 2004 - 12:58 pm
and models over celebs :angry:

agreee!!! i cant stand to see celebs on fashion magazines.

seriously, how long has it been since an actual model graced the cover of vogue???? :angry:

Who reads Vogue? :yuk: :ninja:
obviously i do. :innocent: [/b][/quote]
i second that. :wink:

Originally posted by As You Like It@Mar 19th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
I'm sorry. I had no intent to offend.

I was thinking of a couple of specific neighbor girls of mine, who are Mexican-American girls; angelically beautiful, extremely petite, with long, thick, wavy black hair and mocha complexions. They both wear clothes wonderfully, I think they would photograph well, and because each of these girls is under 5'5" I doubt they'd even get so much as a "Hello, what can I do for you today" at a modelling agency.
That's right, if A 5'5 girl walked into an agency, that's exactly what would happen. But its not the agency's fault. They are just the middle man, they get what the clients are looking for. Which are, unfortunately or not, are tall thin girls. Sorry? :doh:

TeenVogue uses models... its just that they're very young..

..like this month, Gerren Taylor.. she's only 13.. and Annabelle Dexter-Jones has been featured alot too.

Originally posted by Banila.B@Apr 8th, 2004 - 10:44 pm

..like this month, Gerren Taylor.. she's only 13.. and Annabelle Dexter-Jones has been featured alot too.
their covers are still celebs though-gwen, etc...

Originally posted by AlmostFamous+Apr 8th, 2004 - 7:27 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlmostFamous @ Apr 8th, 2004 - 7:27 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It@Mar 19th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
I'm sorry. I had no intent to offend.

I was thinking of a couple of specific neighbor girls of mine, who are Mexican-American girls; angelically beautiful, extremely petite, with long, thick, wavy black hair and mocha complexions. They both wear clothes wonderfully, I think they would photograph well, and because each of these girls is under 5'5" I doubt they'd even get so much as a "Hello, what can I do for you today" at a modelling agency.
That's right, if A 5'5 girl walked into an agency, that's exactly what would happen. But its not the agency's fault. They are just the middle man, they get what the clients are looking for. Which are, unfortunately or not, are tall thin girls. Sorry? :doh: [/b][/quote]
You're cool. I know, magazines and runway shows want tall girls right now. But there is no actual good reason that so few petite models (or plus size models, for that matter) who get into photographic media. Especially in editorials where an interesting look is more necessary than two-meter height.

I can see the sense of having extremely tall women in live shows, as the clothes will be more visible to people sitting a ways back from the stage. Nonetheless, it has been proven that shorter women can and do often make very nice photographic models. Kate Moss is only 5'6" and I believe that Devon Aoki and Audrey Marnay are both 5'5" They are great exceptions, and manly because they have remarkable faces, however I have a feeling that it would be interesting and probably beneficial if there were more variety in models in magazines, be it through having ordinary women from the street in some articles or by having more diversity in the professional model base, as a whole.

as you like it...we have that happening now...look at lucky, glamour, marieclaire, self, redbook, etc...they shoot real people every month...with all different body types...

we only have two real 'fashion mags' left...vogue and w...and even vogue is doing a body type issue now...

Originally posted by mehg@Mar 18th, 2004 - 2:13 pm
I don't think being a model is a special talent given to a certain few. I think it would actually be quite interesting to see a non-model done up and doing an editorial because I think a lot of women out there are able to do so. That said, I still like to see models, but including non-models is a very interesting concept to me.

I agree...if its a spread like in W mag...it's models....

But other mags give us a chance to be "models" too...you can relate sometimes more if there's a person wearing a very cute outfit thats your body type...it's an interesting thing..but sometimes it does work. I cant relate to a twiggy model like Hana but I could to maybe some girl picked off the street for one spread in Teenmag ,Glamour or something...then I'd actually really think about getting that outfit.

Plus..who said ya gotta be a thin 5'9 girl to me in a mag?...Its a chance for pretty women to be photographed..I'm all for equal oppertunities :P

But hell if I see a gorgeous..lets say Chanel coat on a skinny model..hell I'd still want it.. :blush:...

But more chance if the model was more normal...hell its a confusing thing for me. :wacko:

Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:17 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:17 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nemova@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:14 pm
But you know you are great, don't you softgrey? :flower:

Nemova
shut up...stop teasing...:rolleyes:

the new 'discussion' is on the boots for spring thread...the original post that freaked me out was on the how do you wear high heels thread... very scary... [/b][/quote]
HEy softgrey...

It's true though...

Your voice is here very important because you always something interesting and thoughtful to say.

Originally posted by As You Like It+Apr 8th, 2004 - 11:21 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(As You Like It @ Apr 8th, 2004 - 11:21 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Apr 8th, 2004 - 7:27 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It
@Mar 19th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
I'm sorry.  I had no intent to offend.

I was thinking of a couple of specific neighbor girls of mine, who are Mexican-American girls; angelically beautiful, extremely petite, with long, thick, wavy black hair and mocha complexions.  They both wear clothes wonderfully, I think they would photograph well, and because each of these girls is under 5'5" I doubt they'd even get so much as a "Hello, what can I do for you today" at a modelling agency.

That's right, if A 5'5 girl walked into an agency, that's exactly what would happen. But its not the agency's fault. They are just the middle man, they get what the clients are looking for. Which are, unfortunately or not, are tall thin girls. Sorry? :doh:
You're cool. I know, magazines and runway shows want tall girls right now. But there is no actual good reason that so few petite models (or plus size models, for that matter) who get into photographic media. Especially in editorials where an interesting look is more necessary than two-meter height.

I can see the sense of having extremely tall women in live shows, as the clothes will be more visible to people sitting a ways back from the stage. Nonetheless, it has been proven that shorter women can and do often make very nice photographic models. Kate Moss is only 5'6" and I believe that Devon Aoki and Audrey Marnay are both 5'5" They are great exceptions, and manly because they have remarkable faces, however I have a feeling that it would be interesting and probably beneficial if there were more variety in models in magazines, be it through having ordinary women from the street in some articles or by having more diversity in the professional model base, as a whole. [/b][/quote]
I never said short*er*, 5'6 isn't quite that short compared to non model women, couldn't photograph well. Kate Moss and Devon would have been just as sucessful had they been 5'10, a face is a face.

Variety is great. But some magazines don't want to use non models. :doh: If you don't like it, don't look? The majority of people don't find models realistic, and have a lot of stuff to say about it, but high fashion magazines like W and most of the vogues with the American Vogue exception, keep on using models.... It must be workin for someone. :wink:

Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite+Apr 9th, 2004 - 1:48 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephora_Socialite @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 1:48 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:17 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Nemova
@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:14 pm
But you know you are great, don't you softgrey?  :flower:

Nemova

shut up...stop teasing...:rolleyes:

the new 'discussion' is on the boots for spring thread...the original post that freaked me out was on the how do you wear high heels thread... very scary...
HEy softgrey...

It's true though...

Your voice is here very important because you always something interesting and thoughtful to say. [/b][/quote]
sephora socialite-you are very sweet and i thank you :flower:
welcome to our little world :P

with me i could care less how the clothes look on a certain body type. i know my body and i know what will work on me. fashion photography is art (even when used commercially), and professional models are preferred because they have long, slender, elegant lines.

softgrey i think you mentioned that models can fit the samples. what is the standard size now?

Originally posted by smashinfashion@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:12 am
with me i could care less how the clothes look on a certain body type. i know my body and i know what will work on me. fashion photography is art (even when used commercially), and professional models are preferred because they have long, slender, elegant lines.

softgrey i think you mentioned that models can fit the samples. what is the standard size now?
designer samples...the samples used in photos are the same ones used on the runway...they are usually fitted specifically to the girl who wears them in the show...very small...less than a standard size 4...american...these girls are usually under 20 and have no hips or boobs...no healthy adult woman could fit into these items...

more mainstream companies like ann taylor or liz claiborne or dockers or lauren by ralph lauren make larger samples...usually a size 6-8...these are not very interesting clothes to photograph...

plus sizes start at 12-16 depending on the company...

so if someone wears a size 10...?...there are no samples in existence which will fit that person!...and it doesn't pay for a company to make up a sample in every single size just for the possibility that someone may or may not need it in this size for a shoot..

it's really a cost issue... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:24 am
designer samples...the samples used in photos are the same ones used on the runway...they are usually fitted specifically to the girl who wears them in the show...very small...less than a standard size 4...american...these girls are usually under 20 and have no hips or boobs...no healthy adult woman could fit into these items...
well i wish i could get ahold of some samples. i'm a healthy adult woman and i have the body of a 12 year old. some of us just weren't meant to fill out, apparently. i often have things tailored to fit because most consumers pieces are made for "healthy adult women"

Originally posted by smashinfashion+Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:38 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashinfashion @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:38 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:24 am
well i wish i could get ahold of some samples. i'm a healthy adult woman and i have the body of a 12 year old. some of us just weren't meant to fill out, apparently. i often have things tailored to fit because most consumers pieces are made for "healthy adult women" [/b][/quote]
i think you're still under 25 ...right?...

what no one bothers to tell us women is that there is another growth spurt at twenty five...

i was shocked to discover at the age of 26-25....that i had suddenly developed hips and boobs...having had the body of a teenage boy all my life...i didn't really know what to do with them... :lol: ...it took some years and serious wardrobe revision before i got it right...

your time will come...never fear... :flower:

i know how you feel though- no one ever has any sympathy for those of us who are small and thin... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:44 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:44 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by smashinfashion@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:38 am
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:24 am

well i wish i could get ahold of some samples. i'm a healthy adult woman and i have the body of a 12 year old. some of us just weren't meant to fill out, apparently. i often have things tailored to fit because most consumers pieces are made for "healthy adult women"
i think you're still under 25 ...right?...

what no one bothers to tell us women is that there is another growth spurt at twenty five...

i was shocked to discover at the age of 26-25....that i had suddenly developed hips and boobs...having had the body of a teenage boy all my life...i didn't really know what to do with them... :lol: ...it took some years and serious wardrobe revision before i got it right...

your time will come...never fear... :flower:

i know how you feel though- no one ever has any sympathy for those of us who are small and thin... :innocent:[/b][/quote]
fascinating.. well i will patiently anticipate this "growth spurt" in the next couple years. ^_^

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 8th, 2004 - 11:07 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 8th, 2004 - 11:07 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Banila.B@Apr 8th, 2004 - 10:44 pm

their covers are still celebs though-gwen, etc... [/b][/quote]
ohh.... i see. ..Vogue does that too.. Gwen's on this month's US cover.

i think models are essential to portray an image. models are picked for their looks as well as their bodies and the clothes just 'hang' better on models. :doh: i like to think of models as beautiful clothes hangers :innocent:
i love to see people picked off the street in 'street fashion' :flower: it makes a nice change from stylized shoots . . . and gives a people a chance to showcase their own style & clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"