Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

the way they overhyped ancora guy prior to his debut really hurt them. If they went very quiet and let the debut collection speak for itself, i think the reactions would not have been as bad. They made it feel like were about to see the revolution and a new tom ford era was coming. But ofcourse it was the gen z version of tom ford that we got. sexy without being sexy. showing skin and at the same time not feeling sexy.

How would they judge that and make a decision ? in September just after the show reviews, or in February after the first sales reports (it’s a Spring-Summer collection, which will hit the stores in Jan-Feb) ?
6 months make quite a difference… they will lose another billion of sales in between.

IMG_4650.jpeg

the way they overhyped ancora guy prior to his debut really hurt them. If they went very quiet and let the debut collection speak for itself, i think the reactions would not have been as bad. They made it feel like were about to see the revolution and a new tom ford era was coming. But ofcourse it was the gen z version of tom ford that we got. sexy without being sexy. showing skin and at the same time not feeling sexy.
Could be, but at the end the product is just underwhelming to say the least,with odd colors & shiny flat design items and not special enough to warrant a new Gucci feeling ...with so much options out there you need to capture people's desire .....you need to feel it after you seen it .....if it not there it's just not it!!!!! no matter how discreet or loud.

We haven't seen anything like this since the 80s
I would say the 1990/1991 Gulf War, its impact on oil price and ultimately a complete revamp of the fashion and luxury markets, old-money stopped to be old-money and to buy Couture: practically overnight all sales stopped, hence the difficulties and then the sale of: YSL, Givenchy, Ungaro, Ferré, Guerlain etc, etc, all at the same time, 1/2 years after the war.
And the newish money started to go to the new designers like Gucci and Prada

Time is running out for Gucci's makeover​

It’s even worse at Gucci than we thought.

Sales excluding currency movements and mergers and acquisitions at the Italian fashion house fell 19% in the second quarter, exceeding the drop expected by analysts and showing no improvement on the first three months.
Parent Kering SA said on Wednesday that its operating profit fell 42% in the first half of this year. It warned that the key measure could decline a further 30% in the second half, compared with 2023, as it continued to invest in reinvigorating Gucci.

Investors are looking for the next luxury turnaround, after Gucci’s last revival almost a decade ago under former creative director Alessandro Michele and PradaSpA’s more recent rejuvenation, and for many Kering fits the bill. But it’s becoming increasingly clear that the group won’t live up to these lofty expectations – at least for some time anyway.

Kering’s second profit warning this year underlines the problems that brands seeking to reorient themselves face in a deteriorating luxury market. Gucci is casting aside the opulence of Michele for the sleeker styles of new creative director Sabato de Sarno.

Unfortunately this has coincided with the worst downturn in a decade, as shoppers in China and the US pull back.

Gucci is being particularly hurt by fewer new, often comfortable but not super-wealthy, shoppers visiting its stores and website. They tend to buy the classic styles that the brand always carries. This isn’t being compensated for by the group’s other brands, such as Saint Laurent.

For more regular Gucci customers, there is little incentive to purchase now, given that more of De Sarno’s new designs will be arriving in September.

For those who are buying, the reception so far to De Sarno’s products has been positive, the company said, with consumers appreciating improvements in style and quality. But his designs represented only 25% of the range in the second quarter. Kering has previously said this will increase to 100% by the third or fourth quarter, as autumn and winter collections ramp up.

Gucci is speeding up the time it takes to get products to market. Four fresh handbag lines, either completely new items or enhancements to existing ranges, will arrive in the second half.

So, with more of De Sarno’s products being delivered to stores, and comparisons with last year getting easier over the coming months as Chinese spending waned in late 2023, things should start to get better.

The danger is that De Sarno’s collections don’t catch on. There was a flurry of excitement around his fashion show held in London in May, with the Gucci belt making a comeback according to Data But Make It Fashion, which analyzes social media trends. But Gucci’s new look has lacked the buzz that accompanied Michele’s debut in 2015.

Meanwhile, there is no improvement in China, while Kering said Europe had weakened.

The competitive environment is also intensifying, as all the brands chase top end customers. Prada, which typically vies for sales with Gucci, is on fire; ValentinoSpA, in which Kering has a 30% stake, hiring Michele as its creative director, will appeal to his loyal fans.

That could mean even more heavy lifting at Gucci. The problem is that with the profit slide, and a string of acquisitions, Kering’s balance sheet is stretched. Net debt, excluding lease liabilities, was €9.9 billion ($10.7 billion) at the end of the first half, up from €3.9 billion a year ago, and equating to 1.8 times earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization. Kering is looking to partnerships with real estate investors to cut its borrowings, after several acquisitions of high profile store locations.

With De Sarno’s collections only just hitting stores, it is probably too early to contemplate a change in creative direction. The label also has a new, beefed-up management team.

But righting the ship is taking a toll on sales, with Gucci’s revenue expected to decline by €1 billion this year, as well as on group profits. This leaves Kering to tough it out, drawing on cost savings to cushion the blow.

Yet efficiencies must be handled carefully, particularly given the need to turbocharge De Sarno’s collections. It also doesn’t help that LVMH, although not immune to the downturn, is able to put on the biggest show to keep its brands at the forefront of consumers’ minds.

Kering is the master of fashion turnarounds, perhaps explaining why investors have been so keen to give it the benefit of the doubt.

But with the shares down as much as 10% on Thursday, they are now at their lowest level since 2017.

Without Gucci’s makeover delivering soon, it’s not clear how long shareholders’ patience will last.
BLOOMBERG

BLOOMBERG
It doesn't help also that their veteran SAs are jumping the boat, as they have nothing desirable to sell, they don't get commissions, and they go elsewhere (with their clients contacts).
"Hi,
Just to let you know I left and I am now at X, just across the street, very excited by the House and the designs here are incredible, our CD is very talented I must say, you certainly do know them. Remember those XXX you bought at Gucci ? Let me show you what we have here, it's definitely better and totally your style !"
Plus 5 pics of the latest arrivals in my size...

I was going to say that customers are not silly, but they actually are.

Gucci ‘s products are not very good quality and they are quite expensive. Also, the trend now is the “old money”, so there’s no space for Gucci, because it’s still tacky in the consumers’ mind. They needed a total revamp, but they still went for cheap merchandise to not lose the dr*g dealers…

At the same time, Vuitton is performing well even if it’s quite a cheap brand too…. But maybe not as cheap as Gucci.

. They needed a total revamp, but they still went for cheap merchandise to not lose the dr*g dealers

At the same time, Vuitton is performing well even if it’s quite a cheap brand too…. But maybe not as cheap as Gucci.
Well the drug dealers moved on some time ago.

They are wearing Rick, Celine, and LV

I was going to say that customers are not silly, but they actually are.

Gucci ‘s products are not very good quality and they are quite expensive. Also, the trend now is the “old money”, so there’s no space for Gucci, because it’s still tacky in the consumers’ mind. They needed a total revamp, but they still went for cheap merchandise to not lose the dr*g dealers…

I think that the core difference between Louis Vuitton and Gucci is that Louis Vuitton has casted a really wide net. Louis Vuitton has their trashy monogram products, but they also have a huge selection of products (for men and women) that can appeal to a more classic, "old-money" clientele.

I think that the core difference between Louis Vuitton and Gucci is that Louis Vuitton has casted a really wide net. Louis Vuitton has their trashy monogram products, but they also have a huge selection of products (for men and women) that can appeal to a more classic, "old-money" clientele.
Really? Their shoes offer is obnoxious. Their Tshirts, their LG, their knitwear… not even if they paid me I’d wear it. I can only picture reggeaton singers and dr*g dealers with that kind of products.

Maybe the suits are nice, I don’t know.

Edith: just went to their website and I almost puked. Go to RTW, season products… 💀 Terrible! Just checking the denim now… 💀 Disgusting.

The only decent thing is the New formal collection (mainly basic suits).

Gucci has become so bloated it has no choice now but to become the Italian Coach to survive. I remember just 2-3 years ago there were line ups for Gucci now the store near me is a fraction of that or empty. The only people buying their sh!t are ghetto queens and drug dealers.

The period when they had no designer was so crucial and they dropped the ball on it.

It was the perfect time to concentrate on the marketing and product.

Ancora or not, Gucci products aren’t exciting, don’t feel timeless (because of the endless modifications) and that’s it.

I have always been a Fendi girl. And at Fendi, u buy leather or interesting fabrics bags, never the monogram.

I may not care about Kim Jones’s fashion but if I want a beautiful bag from an Italian brand, I know that I can count on Fendi, Valextra or even MaxMara. Neither Prada or Gucci are in my radar. If I want a backpack, I will go to Prada for a nylon one.

Their products at the flagship could be mistaken for the stuff you find at the outlet.

Net debt, excluding lease liabilities, was €9.9 billion ($10.7 billion) at the end of the first half, up from €3.9 billion a year ago, and equating to 1.8 times earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization. Kering is looking to partnerships with real estate investors to cut its borrowings, after several acquisitions of high profile store locations.

To me this is the most shocking part. What have they been spending all that money on at Kering?
I understand they bought some very expensive (if not vastly overpriced) retail real estate but at this rate they need to make sure theirs brands will survive to actually occupy these prime locations.
Surely at Gucci they have been spending a lot extra on marketing as well, with very little effect it seems.

The situation has become so dire, even if they're able to hire a more talented CD they will face enormous challenges for the next few years.

I’m just enjoying so much the whole situation: rich people getting desperate because they can’t get richer and they are making all the wrong decisions. And all of this is happening in huge part because they fired the man who made Gucci insanely big and he couldn’t keep up these astonishing numbers for like seven years?
these soulless and clueless corporate people are having a really bad time and I’m all for it.

(I feel bad for all the people who are going to lose their jobs tho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adonis911
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->