Seán McGirr - Designer, Creative Director of Alexander McQueen

i wish he went full pet sematary with this. i question if he has it in him to push it like burton did when she still had concrete themes like the bees or fur visors. They were not dark and "edgy" but the feeling and tailoring was mcqueen.

I like the intention even if it comes off a bit pastiche. However I find the two outfits so far not cut for mcqueen.

i wish he went full pet sematary with this. i question if he has it in him to push it like burton did when she still had concrete themes like the bees or fur visors. They were not dark and "edgy" but the feeling and tailoring was mcqueen.
totally agree with the pet sematary proposition. if i were debuting a collection for mcqueen it would look vaguely like eclect dissect or voss, both of which included several components inspired heavily by the natural world

i was thinking about that recently and came to a conclusion that if i was to debut a mcqueen collection it will be something like his couture s/s 1998 in givenchy

i wonder how hard will kering push sean in the news cycle? pieces and interviews just like sabato? it would be interesting to know about him and from his own words for sure, given we barely know anything about the guy.

a bit underwhelmed by the previews but i will try to remain a bit optimistic at least until the debut show.

By the way, how does one pronounce Seán? Just like Sean? Oh, God, everything about this rollout is so messy already.

i wonder how hard will kering push sean in the news cycle? pieces and interviews just like sabato? it would be interesting to know about him and from his own words for sure, given we barely know anything about the guy.
Well I hope they by now learned from the Sabato approach that it doesn't work to push someone who has shown very mediocre collections thus far and has absolutely nothing interesting to say to do profiles and interviews. In fact, maybe they should take the opposite approach and keep the designer's personal life somewhat of a mystery. Why not let the work speak for him in the first instance?

Good theme with the forest, A lot to explore. Coincidence or not, I was listening to Clannad and U2 these days.

The dress is nice, and so is the suit. Less princesse than what Burton did.

the japanese garden was excellent on a technical level...
Yes. I had the gold collection on mind but that was spring 1997, not 1998 right?
Mea Culpa @tourbillions

Even though those collections had nothing to do with Givenchy, it’s time to bring back the flirty and sassy energy at McQueen.

I hope it won’t be only about theater and extravaganza!

Unpopular Opinion but im excited about his debut, the teasers are somewhat interesting but different from what a lot of mainstream brands are doing these days!

Mea Culpa @tourbillions
actually thought you were referencing/shading the upcoming actual debut of mcgirr

And yes through all the darkness, mcqueen women had a certain sass like when they smile at each other in the runway. Usually a scary smile to each other. Also miss his minimalistic draped dressess but oozed a lot of sex appeal.

If I were to debut a collection and runway show for McQueen, it would probably go somewhat like this:
The show would be set in a glass box with a single corridor cutting through the audience as an entryway. The show starts in complete darkness with the beginning of the soundtrack playing softly, when the runway entrance suddenly glows white. The opening model walks down the corridor as the soundtrack gradually gets louder and faster. The beat drops and the lights flicker on as the opening model starts makes her way throughout the box, stopping to pose at intervals.

The collection would be split into two "acts" with an intermission between them.

The first act would start with a series of sharp jackets, corsets and bumster trousers in grey, beige and brown. The show would gradually shift to introduce shearling aviator jackets, fitted shirting and leather bumster skirts and trousers. I imagine this half of the show having exposed sternums and stomachs in abundance. The models would have minimal makeup and braided hair. As the first act ends, the box goes dark again and the soundtrack fades out.

A spotlight in the middle suddenly turns on, revealing a model in a dramatic white ruffled dress. A slow paced track starts as the model gracefully moves her body on the spot. As the model finishes her dance, the light and music fade out once again.

The prelude to act 2 would mirror that of act 1, with the entry light being red and a hurricane of petals start falling from the ceiling. The second act would consist of evening dresses starting with Victorian-esque chiffon and lace dresses in deep red and plum before moving onto slinkier dresses in soft red, pink and yellow. The models hair would be covered in match headwraps. The show would do a full circle with the closing looks being a duo of tuxedos in black and white. The second act end like the first.

The soundtrack reverts back to the first track as the lights flicker on once more, revealing the whole cast lining the perimeter of the box. I take my bow and the lights dim as the models exit the runway.
It'll probably never happen, but one can dream.

oh i would kill a debut collection for mcqueen. i'd absolutely murder it. bird feathered headpieces, sensual and light lace dresses, frock coats with exposed breasts, shaun leane metal jaw masks, pvc corsets with smears of black oil under them... all to a deafening michael nyman soundtrack. i'd kill it! pinault are you listening to me!!!! LET ME IN

I hope it won’t be only about theater and extravaganza!
I like the teasers, their cast is super fine, but it's Kering we are talking about, Sean McGirr has certainly a strict brief from the executives, I just hope Francesca Bellettini understands a new creative director needs a bit of freedom, experimentation and TIME.
Anyway, I won't put my expectations high, I have learned my lessons with Ancora.

Last edited:
i don't wish to sound negative (as usual) but i hate everything about this so far. literally everything!

The mask feel a bit too “the strangers” horror genre movie.

I don’t hate everything about it though.

I like the idea of the forest and setting and the way it is shot but what are those shoes, and the tartan dress looks cheap like it’s from SHEIN or at best Mango but certainly not where McQueen should be headed.

I am still interested in seeing a collection but hope it doesn’t go off the rails. Hopefully he has a good team and he himself has good ideas to carry the brand

They may give the brand the Dior MGC treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->