Smells Like Grunge Again

I tried that dress emi25, the 8 was too small and the 12 too big :( no tens. I was gutted as it's lovely. I wouldn't wear it and think I was grunge though, it's very feminine and it's H+M so that's not the point entirely.

i can't see the grunge look coming back on a mainstream level, unless you have the tabloid brigade adopt the look (which i doubt will happen).

a lot of the reason that the look became so prominent in the '90s is that it already existed. the grunge music scene was already thriving with the trend, then you have good ol' mj put it on the catwalk, so 29384289342 other people jump on the bandwagon and the result is a mainstream trend. since music being made today is completely horrible for the most part, and doesn't hold any true value that can spring any sort of movement, i can't see the entire trend doing a repeat.

its all about making things one step better...and more appealing
mj tries to do that...

but.. grunge is about spirit...all cliched i know..like punk..
its about being all f*** you and ur fashion..i do it MY way!!
but the irony is that...when people follow 'the look" the whole purpose of the statement is lost...
grunge is about wearing cheap thriftstore/vintage finds , pretty much whatever a working clas girl/boyy with attitude can find..and wearing it effortlessly...

but yeh..as long as there are guys like Mr jacobs who utilise these 'trends' and update an original look with better fabrics and detail...there will be some hogwash editore labelling grunge fashion as a new 'trend'

i really hate fashion sometimes...bah!

Last edited by a moderator:
it smells bad...
very very bad..:yuk:...

Acid said:
:lol: Grunge is already MASSIVE in london......we have an 'alternative' town just outside the centre of london called camden

For what I saw in Camden goth is massive now.. maybe punk too but not much grunge... :huh:

^ Camden has ALWAYS been goth... it's the main characterestic of the area.. (minus the last few years where the stalls were flooded with vintage)

^^^I was there the other day (Camden) and it just felt extremely COMMERCIAL...

^so where's the un-commercial equivalent of the Camden legend in London, nowadays?

I love the look, I think it is very suitable for younger people and I think it is logical that grunge as a trend is coming back - firstly the seasons before were more strict and pulled together, the lady look, Victorian, blah blah. That and the mod thing's clearness need the other side of the magnet - tada, here comes grunge. Secondly it's not like a more sloppy and music-related look has been going for a while. Think of everyone who is inspired by Pete Doherty.

And please stop accusing everyone of being fake. Let anyone identify with what they can relate to. What applies to ANY look is that if you do only the look but not the feel/cultural background of something you'll end up looking pretty stupid and that's your own fault then.

An editorial inspired by grunge (L'Official Sept. 2006)
Scanned by me

Last edited by a moderator:
One more from the set above (same credit)

Another part of the same magazine (same credit)

To me, the idea of an editorial inspired by 'grunge' is totally paradoxical. Grunge is a mindset, its walking into a thriftstore and following wherever your mood takes you. It's less about style, more about lifestyle. Its spontaneous, almost undefinable.

well i just liked the editorial and wanted to scan it...didn't know the models names..so i didn't know where to put it..hence it being posted on this thread..it wasn't to make a point about what grunge really is

Sorry Sorry Sorry!

Oh, no!

I wasn't criticising you for posting the editorial, it was obviously relevant to the thread. I just find it annoying when magazines jump on to the subculture bandwagon and make it into a trend. It's like 'Grunge For Dummies!'

Apologies if it came across aggressively :flower:

I love this whole grunge thing - altough I (as many of you) dont want the mass to wear it. I was a little kid in the 90's but fortunately, my boyfriend is old enough to have a lot of old clothes from that era, so I just wear his things. (but never with baggy panties or jeans, always skinnies or pantyhoes)

loubylou said:
Oh, no!

I wasn't criticising you for posting the editorial, it was obviously relevant to the thread. I just find it annoying when magazines jump on to the subculture bandwagon and make it into a trend. It's like 'Grunge For Dummies!'

Apologies if it came across aggressively :flower:

And how "deep" is/was the grunge-culture anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->