Smells Like Grunge Again

Exactly, no matter if you want to call it "new grunge" or "neo grunge" it doesn't feel the same. Though I must say Kirten Dunst looks hot with it in some of her candids.

I don't think we have to blame it on Marc Jacobs, I don't think the guy has either the popularity or the ability to create a new wave of grunge it's just the fact people love looking at the past and make come backs plus grunge music has a lot behind it and quite few icons we love to merchandise with.

GlissadeJete said:
thank you. you're so right. grunge was a movement. i was a sullen teenager and the movement spoke to me. this "new grunge" just isn't authentic. we're a pop culture fueled by jessica simpson, jessica alba and jennifer anniston. our culture is not grunge. this is just a continuation of the fashion cycle of the past 10 yrs.. which is basically just to cycle through every decade season by season.
:lol:...
of course it's not 'authentic'...:lol:...
it wasn't 'authentic' the FIRST time marc did it at perry ellis either...
a silk chiffon plaid shirt tied around the waist that cost $700 is a JOKE...
and so are all the people/victims who sported the 'look' last time...
and the ones who will do it this time...

and you CAN blame marc jacobs for the MASS distribution and acceptance of this look---from the early 90's and this time as well...

if you understand the way the BUSINESS of fashion works...
you understand the influence this man has...
and it is ALL his fault...

:hardhead:...

:lol:...

this whole grunge thing has been nagging me the last couple of days..i was actually just wandering who exactly started ''the look"?...

i guess that^answers half my question..jacobs did really make it mass, huh? so bascially he was responsible for the way most of the characters in "Empire Records" were dressed?

...so if THAT look isn't authentic how far can the specific fad amongst teenagers can be traced? the 50's or the 60's?

i need some answers!:lol: :judge:

- Marc Jacobs has a grunge spirit and personality, so it only makes sense that his collections will always hold that kind of edge. some collections more obviously grunge than others

-There will always be anti-luxury fashion ...it is definitely reactionary to extravagence but if it cost just as much it is a contradiction

- neo-Grunge is not going to blow up like it did the old grunge did. It was a style of dress that went along with an strong cultural movement. I dont see any cultural revolution going on right now...do you?

We need the following ingredients for this:

1) A strong build up of resentment toward society in general along with superficial pop culture
2) A leader or icon of the movement that is the voice of and embodies a rebellion that connects to an entire generation.

When this happens, whatever fashion that accompanies it will blow up, like grunge.

P.S. whoever said Kurt Cobain was better than the Pixies, I am just speechless :cry: :doh: :(

There will always be anti-luxury fashion ...it is definitely reactionary to extravagence but if it cost just as much it is a contradiction

That is absolutely for sure, if it's not grunge they'll make something new up there is always an anti fashion statement.

neo-Grunge is not going to blow up like it did the old grunge did

Absolutely, not only you need the clothes, you need the SPIRIT.

"Neo grunge" or this so called new wave grunge is just too comercial...I am sure people who wear it only do it to feel different(not authentic, that's different) or to look to cool for one and other. Some will do it just to look hot, and that's not grunge to me.

Marc Jacobs has a grunge spirit and personality, so it only makes sense that his collections will always hold that kind of edge. some collections more obviously grunge than others

Have to agree on that too, but I tell you he isn't to "blame" for this, I don't believe he has the ability to transform the masses into grunge, he isn't that good and I believe only a group of his too cool to be true followers l will like grunge just cause he says so on the runway.

Last edited by a moderator:
odette... if i find myself channeling the grunge spirit this fall it will be because i came of age during that time and its sensibilities have continued to be embedded in my soul. does that make sense? i never really stopped wearing my doc martens and the first time around my look was scavenged from my father's closet and army navy stores. marc jacobs might have brought it to the masses, but when i was 16 i had no idea who marc jacobs was. for me, it was authentic as it could be.

of course, now my teen years are being bought and sold like slabs of meat.. ah well.

^ GlissadeJete, same here! I was 12, and I took most of my look from my Dad's closet. wore my Dads clothes like old dirty jeans with a lot holes, and huge flannels. All of it was 10 sizes too big for me. Then I had a lot of band T-shirts and shirts with random things like pictures of food or odd sayings on them. I didnt know who Marc Jacobs was then, but I did know who Thurston Moore was!:blush:

Is it so obvious when a person follows the trend because it is IN? At some point it doesn't even matter whether you have that "grunge spirit" or not.

^ true. but one can usually spot the difference between a "costume" and someone who owns a loook.

in fashion, i think you can't take yourself too seriously. wear what you want.. in or not. i'm not so cool that i won't deny that the runways give me ideas that i may or may not choose to run with. some ideas, i'll grow tired of, and other's i'll continue to use way past their expiration date. some i retire, and then rediscover.

the past so many seasons of fashion have been like that... re-examining who we are, who we were. parts of me were better then (in 1993), naive, honest. i like to revisit that and justify it against who i am today (2006)

Last edited by a moderator:
odette... if i find myself channeling the grunge spirit this fall it will be because i came of age during that time and its sensibilities have continued to be embedded in my soul. does that make sense?

Definitely.

Is it so obvious when a person follows the trend because it is IN?

It is,or at at least to me it is, just like Nicole Richie wearing her little mod dresses just cause Zoe tells her that's a hot new look for the new season. That's not the spirit, it's just wearing an outfit you don't know a sh*t about but looks good, that's it perfectly comprehensible but then don't try and look as if you wear following a new wave of thinking(you just follow a new trend).

Let's put celebrities aside, of course they're faking it, they're all filthy rich.

Imagine you go to a new school where everyone dresses in grunge, and where there is no one you know. Or even spot a couple of people wearing flannel at the mall. No one's to judge them by their clothing.

I'm not too worried about grunge getting too blown up and swallowing every celebrity and tween from hollywood to suburbia. Even if it is going to be a big look in Fall 06, trends change soquickly these days. By the time something hits the masses, fashion leaders won't remember it ever happened. :innocent:

ivypixie said:
I love fashion and I love grunge, but I hate, hate, hate it when they come together and becomes a mass thing. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Same,, all i know is that im not, irrelevant of how "trendy" it is, going to start dressing grunge, flannel checked shirts etc.

pinksatin said:
I'm not too worried about grunge getting too blown up and swallowing every celebrity and tween from hollywood to suburbia. Even if it is going to be a big look in Fall 06, trends change soquickly these days. By the time something hits the masses, fashion leaders won't remember it ever happened. :innocent:

i agree!

for those of you who are interested, there's a short little article in the new teen vogue (with mischa barton on the cover) about kurt cobain and his fashion influence, including some stuff about marc jacobs :smile:

I found this dress at (hrrrmm..) H&M and I have to admit that some of their stuff are gorgeous...

It's grunge...and also a bit Westwood...and I just love it...

Once you're grunge, always grunge!....

Viva H&M and Mudhoney!:heart: :heart: :heart:

DoubleCherryPie said:
for those of you who are interested, there's a short little article in the new teen vogue (with mischa barton on the cover) about kurt cobain and his fashion influence, including some stuff about marc jacobs :smile:
saw that...
mj all over again..^_^
the coolest thing is that they have a couple of pics from the origianl MJ grunge show-Spring 1993...(shown in 1992)
so you can compare...
i guess the biggest difference is the season!...
and the platforms...

emi25 said:
I found this dress at (hrrrmm..) H&M and I have to admit that some of their stuff are gorgeous...

It's grunge...and also a bit Westwood...and I just love it...

Very sweet.... I would wear it with a black cotton turtleneck from AA..... :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->