Style.com's Top 10 Collections Fall 2010

helmut.newton

Reaction score
fall's balancing act

The fashion industry is in a bit of a self-flagellating mood—and certainly the environment remains challenging—but contrary to the naysayers, we think this was a strong season on balance. And balance is the operative word. Since the recession hit, designers have veered between playing it safe and escaping into fantasy, but many of the best Fall 2010 collections walked that fine line between interesting and wearable, from Marc Jacobs' calm, beautiful show to Celine's simple but sexy statement. Repeat after Phoebe Philo: strong, powerful, reduced.
wu3zw3.jpg

1. Alexander Mcqueen
If Alexander McQueen's death cast a shadow over the Fall shows, his final collection shone brightly—and remained sui generis. With their religious imagery and stately, almost medieval silhouettes, the 16 pieces showcased his skills as a tailor, as a master draper, and, above all, as fashion's most ardent romantic. We won't soon forget his monumental talent.

fwqcys.jpg

2. Burberry Prorsum
The live-streaming thing was cool. Even more so, the instant gratification of "clicking to buy" the same day as the show. But none of that would have mattered if Christopher Bailey hadn't delivered on the fashion front—and that he did, from the cropped leather aviators and shaggy white shearlings to the killer thigh-high python boots.

2qno01h.jpg

3. Celine
"Strong, powerful, reduced." Phoebe Philo's description of her Fall collection is equally apt for the season as a whole, which indicates just how agenda-setting her vision for Celine has become. And from the looks of her silhouette-shifting kick flares, her sexy black leather, and her fantastic outerwear, her influence won't be waning anytime soon.

10r0hsj.jpg

4. Chanel
A fashion showman nonpareil, Karl Lagerfeld had 240 tons of snow-ice trucked in from Sweden for Chanel's Grand Palais show. But his real magic trick was making fake fur—woven into tweed suits, skirting the hem of leather jackets, decorating handbags and boots—just as covetable as the real thing. Snice one, Karl.

2rcv5mf.jpg

5. Dolce & Gabbana
At a moment when designers were going for the emotional connection, Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana trumped everyone with a feel-great video about their atelier employees and a lineup long on their specialties: leopard spots, polka dots, peekaboo black lace—and, last but not least—those expertly tailored jackets.

2v8lkrk.jpg

6. Dries Van Noten
Dries Van Noten's MO? Give women what they want, and make it look effortless—as in a shrugged-on, slashed-sleeve sweatshirt; an easy olive-drab button-down; and long shorts in a lushly gorgeous floral print. The mix-and-match potential of this collection should have 'em queuing up to get into his stores when it arrives this summer.

b3tz83.jpg

7. Marc Jacobs
"There's so much striving for newness now that newness feels less new," Marc Jacobs told us. His solution? Tweak greatest hits like panne velvet dresses, seventies-ish pantsuits, and evening sequins, and send them all out on unknown models to the tune of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"—all of which sent his fans over the rainbow indeed.

bi1k07.jpg

8. Michael Kors
They don't come more quintessentially American than Michael Kors, and in a season of quintessential American sportswear, the designer stepped up to the plate. Think chunky knits, slouchy trousers, and smart chesterfield coats, but with the luxe factor dialed way, way up. Speaking of, he's your man for a sumptuous fur.

wlznv5.jpg

9. Prada
Casting Victoria's Secret Angels wasn't Miuccia Prada's only unexpected maneuver this season. As Marc Jacobs would do later at Louis Vuitton, she focused our attention on that erogenous zone often neglected by fashion folk: the bust. With their ruffled necklines, her fit-and-flare, fifties-ish dresses were irresistibly fetching and full of that indefinable Prada charm.

f380me.jpg

10. Rag & Bone
New York's go-to guys for a great pair of jeans and menswear-inspired basics upped the style quotient with their Fall collection, layering Harris Tweed with hoodies, matching camouflage to plaid, and sending out Fair Isle-by-way-of-the-Himalayas knits. In the current climate, there's a lot to be said for a high-fashion mash-up at relatively attainable prices.

Hold up, Chanel AW 2010, aka The Wookie Collection, made Style's Top 10. :doh:

Of the blast from the past collections, I would have put Louis Vuitton and Giles Deacon over Prada and Marc Jacobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kane deserves to be on this list this season, as well as Haider who puts everyone else to shame every season really.

this lost validity after seeing Chanel.McQueen got the sympathy vote.

I couldn't disagree more with this list.

As much as I love Alexander McQueen and will miss him, a little collection of 16 very beautiful pieces doesn't hold up to full flexed-out concepts and spot-on shows.

Burberry? No. This season yes, next season was just the same, old Bailey. Just because you ordered that coat already, right? You all did order a coat at style.com, didn't you?

Dolce & Gabbana? NO! Come on, if I shoot I black & white video of how my mom always used to clean my room, would you... never mind. The collection was weak. There was a lot of fuzz, but you're professionals, you gotta see beyond that.

Michael Kors? Michael Kors. I won't even bother to comment on that.

Rag & Bone? Rag & Bone. I won't... no, wait been there before. Marc is your token NY collection, no need for two more.

Should have included Chris Kane, Bottega which wasn't all together that great but the best Milan collection, Chanel was good with me this season, but wasn't inarguably awesome, LV should have been there, as well as PS.

I think an intern put this together. It's sooooooo random.

More than half of this list is ridiculous. I agree with the fact that McQueen made the list only because of obvious reasons, but to include Chanel, R&B, Dolce, and Kors is beyond me. The most reasonable explanation for this list?
They more than likely drew names out of a hat.

:unsure:REALLY??
I loved Mcqueen final collection in all but I dont think its #1 and Chanel:sick:?? Chanel was horrible this season. Burberry did and amazing collection and i believe deserves to be #2(which says alot about this dull season)
Marc's show was brilliant for his own Label and for LV, they both should be in the top 5. Rag&bone did a great collection too and i think they should be #10
And Prada:lol::lol::lol:, although there where a couple of good pieces i think she was far from top 10.
Celine was good and so was Michael Korsand Dries Van Noten, but idk about Dolce & Gabbana:huh:

theres a whole lot wrong with this list

I haven't taken style.com's list seriously for a while. McQueen was very nice, but best of the season? But pity vote, I suppose, couldn't have expected anything else. The Burberry collection was quite far from spectacular, and light-years away from noteworthy. D&G was pretty much the definition of boring. As for Marc Jacobs, I've never understood the appeal, and based on the most recent collections, I don't think I ever will.

Keep in mind that this list is in Alphabetical order, no one ranks higher then anyone else.

I loved Mcqueen's as well, but 16 pieces doesn't necessarily gratify it to be in that list for me.
Michael Kors? Seriously? Great collection but not a top ten, that's forsure.
YAY Chanel is there. Personally, Karl was getting too granny before this collection so I'm glad he loosened up and did something fun & outlandish.
Rag & Bone needs to be higher. I'm absolutely blown by that collection and I'd wear everything from it.
I liked Dolce but a it definitely wasn't a highlight from the whole season. Safe and nothing but that.
Prada needs to go to. Sorry, I liked it, but not loving it.

I agree pretty much :smile:, but Prada needs to go, it wasn't that great, and thank god there isn't Lanvin, it was the same than previous collections.

I get why Kors is there, it was a strong collection from him. Same goes for Marc Jacobs. I get why McQueen's collection is there, it would've been weird if it wasn't. I get why Celine is there, even though I preferred spring myself. Dries didn't move me but if the reaction to it here on tFS is any indication, the choice was a good one. And Prada was a given.

But Rag & Bone? Seriously?? Burberry leaves me scratching my head too. And for all of the emotion everyone was talking about from the D&G show, I got none of it. The clothes were inoffensive and sincere, but hardly something to rave about.

It's a shame that such a strong season boiled down to such a crapp top 10 list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->