Style.com's Top Ten Collections : F/W 08.09

XxXRedRubYXxX

Tobias Funke
Reaction score
Style.com's Top Ten Collections:FW 08

Spring's giddy exuberance has given way to a more austere Fall, with designers replacing bold colors and lavish floral prints with a restrained sensibility, but one that doesn't sacrifice the luxe factor. In the mix: tailoring, both fluid (Nina Ricci) and strict (Givenchy); more L.B.D.'s than you can count; and fantastical dresses straight out of a fairy tale—we can dream, can't we?

Alexander Mcqueen

Fashion's dream maker concocted his most magical collection yet, one that began with rigorously tailored pantsuits and ended with a royal parade of party frocks that took the audience's breath away.
Fashion's dream maker concocted his most magical collection yet, one that began with rigorously tailored pantsuits and ended with a royal parade of party frocks that took the audience's breath away.

Balenciaga
Melding classic French chic with his sci-fi sensibilities, Nicolas Ghesquière delivered another hit. The standouts: a trio of the season's fiercest L.B.D.'s, and hand-painted latex samurai jackets that will be instant collector's items.

Bottega Veneta
The go-to designer for understated, effortless luxury, Tomas Maier turned out Fall's most elegant day dresses in draped jersey with matching monochromatic tights and shoes. His pieced jackets and pleated pants scored points, too

Givenchy
Everything clicked on Riccardo Tisci's runway: The dark, Spanish-inflected mood was in step with the season; likewise, the gotta-have-'em sexy black pantsuits and frilly blouses. He also keyed into the costume jewelry revival with masses of gold chains and crosses.

Lanvin
Alber Elbaz's technical accomplishments always deserve high praise—this season, he wound ribbon strips around the body to create tops, skirts, and dresses. But what really impressed was the chic wearability of his mostly black and navy collection.

Marc Jacobs
With their structured volumes, the coats, dresses, and pants with which Marc Jacobs closed New York fashion week were a radical departure from the sexy dishabille of his Spring line. Then, of course, the 1980's became a Fall touchstone, and Jacobs once again was in the lead.

Narcisco Rodriguez
Doing his part for the new minimalism, Narciso Rodriguez focused on suits with a fresh, new roundness in the shoulders and sleeves, or "grand exit" evening dresses that were spare at the front, cleverly detailed at the back.

Nina Ricci
Olivier Theyskens gave us Fall's most delicately luminous palette—dusty yellows, greens, and browns mixed with chalky pinks, peaches, and mauves. Along with that came a new, softly constructed jacket with built-out shoulders, and more of his fabulous drapey evening gowns.

Rick Owens
Nobody cuts a statement-making coat quite like Rick Owens, and he outdid himself for Fall. Taking cues from Lee Bontecou's menacing sculptures, he used leather, suede, and denim to patch together jackets fit for urban warriors. On the softer side: lush, languid furs.

Rodarte
Japanese slasher flicks, of all things, gave birth to Rodarte's webby knitwear; shaggy, pieced suits; and wispy party dresses. That's quite a heavy starting point for what turned out to be some of this season's most ethereal clothes

I actually like that they are brave enough to put marc jacobs on that list, because his clothes were at least different from other collections that mainly were quite disappointing.
I didnt really like Nina Ricci.

I couldn't agree more with the choice of McQueen, Givenchy and Lanvin. These three were truly outstanding to me.

Great list for once...I wasn't too excited about Nina Ricci - eventhough the palette was amazing - but I can see why the collection made the list. I am very happy to see Givenchy, McQueen and Rick Owens. Lanvin and Rodarte where a lock IMO. Bottega and Narciso...hmm they were ok but I had already forgotten them to be honest :ninja:

I'm happy that Balenciaga and Lanvin are in the Top 10. But it's weird that Nina Ricci is in the list.

style's list is more or less the same every year, despite what the collections look like.

I am a huge fan of Marc Jacobs, but this collection was a huge misstep. And Nina Ricci was so bland

Yes to Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, Bottega Veneta, Rodarte, Givency
No to Nina Ricci, Marc Jacobs
"Whatever floats your boat" to Rick Owens and Narciso Rodriguez

Dont think Marc Jacobs should be on there, glad to see Rodarte there though.

I actually like that they are brave enough to put marc jacobs on that list, because his clothes were at least different from other collections that mainly were quite disappointing.

Agreed^_^
I'm so happy for Marc:blush: his collection was amazing.:heart:

Agree with all except Nina Ricci, sorry but Conde Nast needs to stop kissing their a**, there were faar more worthy collections.

this reminds me of last seasons top 10 which raised quite a few questions..
again, this time around, some should be on there and some shouldnt :unsure:
as much as i love rick owens and as much as i know he is predominantly known for his jackets, this collection was ONLY the patchwork jacket. yes its cool but not THAT cool :rolleyes: (based on seeing it real life)

givenchy was good though :smile:

AM trying very hard to remember what Narsico's collection looks like. All this list is just a cow's opinion that need to be taken lightly.

:heart:

Agree - Rodarte, McQueen, Lanvin
Eh - Nina Ricci, Balenciaga
Disagree - Marc Jacobs, Givenchy

Just about the same year in and year out. But whaddya gonna do?

marc jacobs and nina ricci ??? are you F**** kidding me , the others are fine , im surprised YSL or Prouenza schouler didnt make it

Brave enough? More like suck-up enough. They're absolutely kissing his as*

Im just happy Balenciaga and Givenchy were on there. This list annoys me. Where is YSL??
Nina Ricci and Marc Jacobs need to be removed along with Narciso....they were all as boring as hell.

style always pick the same 10-15 designers for their top 10 throughout the years.

i like about half of the list: mcqueen, balenciaga, botega veneta, narciso, & rodarte. marc jacobs was :yuk:, and i've never really been a fan of oliver theyskens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->