Summer Courses and Home/Online Study

I'm currently enrolled for Parsons Fashion Design Summer Intensive in NY. Usually registration is in March and it fills up pretty quick! There's classes for High School and College/Adult levels. It's totally beginner level but some drawing skill is required. Look on their website and see how it is. =)

shuggastiletto, i'm not sure how far northeast you want to get, but nscad university in halifax, nova scotia (just north of maine) has some really good summer continuing education classes. are you looking for just fashion? there is a garment alteration and redesign class that i'm taking, as well as intro to weaving, textiles manipulation, dyeing...and if you're in highschool still, there are teen courses that also look really awesome: fashion redesign, self portrait in wire, graphic design and animation...here is the website:

http://www.nscad.ns.ca/cstudies/

All courses that I've looked at are for 16(some 18) and older. I'm 15, and I want to do like a summer course somewhere. Can anyone give me advice on where to find a course for 15 and older?

Has anyone gone to FIDMs 3 Days of Fashion? I'm thinking about going this summer.

Home study Fashion courses?

im looking to do a home fashion course, for fun really...but the sooner the better as my time is running out of days where i have nothing to do...

anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any links or anything? i dont know how much i would want to spend now, but perhaps under £200...

info/advice?:flower:

what is that course? im looking for experience and a job in the fashion industry but im not sure what

i've seen these home study fashion things because friends have attempted them (mostly its the pattern cutting thing) and they dont recommend them, they seem to be really heavy on text and dont really have examples of how to do things - some people learn better hands on than others i suppose.

oh what kind of courses are you looking for? :o

^ dont know :P perhaps fashion design or somthing? because i remember seeing some good ones a while ago, but being stupid i never bookmarked or anything...

I think generally these teach yourself at home fashion courses are a bit of a scam for people who want to get a foot on the fashion ladder without having to go to a uni/college everyday. JR you'd probably be best just going and buying some patterns from a local haberdashery and starting out making garments and understanding patterns just with cheap materials, and then start to adapt them. I'm not really sure what you're looking to learn though...have you got any ideas of what areas you'd like to learn more of inparticular? I think it would probably work out cheaper and a bit more fun if you feel more free with what you're doing...for £200 you could buy yourself some fantastic books on all areas of fashion that would probably end up being more beneficial and exciting...

I agree with fff :D It's great doing it yourself
I even found an old edition of a textbook made by instructors at FIT just the other day at the library...

Important things IMO for fashion design are...
Design fundamentals
Fashion history
Basic patterns

You can also research techniques, like textile and construction techniques. We don't really get these at the fashion design programs here, I think. Students I know only know patternmaking, design, illustration and basic properties of fabrics. It's the textile art students that do the fun stuff imo :D You can make clothes by knitting, crochet and a bunch of other ways. You can also learn different ways of putting prints on to fabric (ex. tie-dye, batik) or find ways to use sewing for sculpture. I think it would really make your fashion design really interesting

For design fundamentals, I could see if I can get some info from the pages of my textbook. It was used for my 2D design class at college (visual arts program), but I think it's essential to any kind of creative pursuit... even hair. I remember always thinking if I'm at a salon, how come the stylist doesn't know what kind of hair colour would suit my skin and eyes or what cut would suit my face... It's nuts sometimes.
This page lists the 'elements & principles of design' here:
http://www.johnlovett.com/test.htm
I think it is missing "variety" in the list, and also some examples... But anyway, I've seen some of the designs you do digitally, and there's a nice sense of balance in the composition so I think you probably already got it :D

One last thing, I posted patternmaking links here
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/2181030-post576.html
Maybe we can make our own little course here at TFS lol

^ thanks for the info everyone...i think i will just do something at home...cheaper & more suitable...:flower:

Im enrolling in the Parsons summer program in about a month or so,hopefully they will have room for me in the classes I want. Some questions to anyone who has done it in the past.
Is the program any good?
I plan on living on campus for the month and I was wondering if you have a roomate?
Also Im wondering about what kind of field work do you do?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
^A girl in the megathread posted that it was "the best summer of her life". I'm planning on doing the same thing actually. It seems like great fun. I'm enrolling in Fashion Design - Parson's Summer Intensive Program (April- May). I hope I get in and from last years online page you start registering in Dec. I'm really REALLY excited about this.

What are some of the pre-req's for the summer intensive? I am too lazy to research at the moment and just wondering if you need anything other than a portfolio and some construction experience.

^There are two sessions. One for College/Adults around April - May and the other is during may-june..i think. I don't think there are pre-reqs because it is for students to explore if this is really what they would like to do. It basically attracts students to their school and that field. You need drawing skills though. I've been taught fine arts before but I still can't draw according to the body and its curves. Hopefully I'll be decent.

Oh, anyone living in dorms during that time. Let me know. I'm looking for a fun roommate because I'd like to explore the city, go out at night, go dancing and maybe some good shows. Basically a temporary best friend for a month. I just hope I don't get stuck with an annoying prissy girl who talks with 1000x likes, a tanorexic and wears Ugg boots. ("Like OMG, I LOVE FASHION, I LOVE CLOTHES, I LOVE EVERYTHING WITH A LABEL ON IT" AHAHAHAH!")

Fashion Design

I am currently living in London and would love to start a new career within the fashion industry. I am working and can not afford to study full time.
What courses would you recommend to study part-time to become a fashion designer. Are there any home study courses available, or is this not respected within the industry?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

whitehouse - is it the best?
how about Ultimo?

do they offer summer courses?

Pre- College Summer Programs for Fashion Design

I am currently a high school sophomore interested in attending a summer program at either Parsons, Pratt, or RISD. I am ready to apply and everything but would like some feedback from people who have attended or plan to attend these programs. Did you enjoy the experience? Did you feel that you gained knowledge about the fashion industry? What was your overall feeling of the program? Will attending a summer program for fashion design help my chances of getting into my top choice college, Parsons?

I searched for a thread like this but could not find one but if one already exist. please merge.

I actually attended the RISD precollege program and did fashion design.

A typical week was 2 days of elective/major (in my case, fashion) 1 day basic design, 1 day foundation drawing, and 1 day art history (for only 2 hours)

A typical elective day would be to go to a lecture hall, so to say, with everyone in the fashion major (it was the biggest major there) for about 2 hours, sometimes less and then we divided into our four assigned sections (there were about 20 people per section) each with a specific teacher and TA that you had for the entire session.

We were assigned weekly projects, mostly consisting of style boards with fashion illustrations and specs. our final project this year was called "Paperama" where we designed and made garments out of paper to be worn and presented by a "model" (which was usually just a buddy or someone you knew) at the fashion show at the end of the session. We didn't do anything with actual construction of garments (aside from the barbie project where we made outfits for a barbie to wear) but they didn't teach us sewing or patternmaking or anything.

Overall I pretty much enjoyed my time there (it was blistering hot though.. there was a heat wave on the day of the fashion show too.. fun). but I didn't live in a dorm because I live in providence.. so I don't exactly know how dormlife was.. but the dorms were pretty spacious and not bad.. at least from the dorms that I saw)

If you have any other question about RISD pre college, I'd be happy to answer :flower::heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->