Summer Courses and Home/Online Study

I have this book called "Ilustración de Moda. Dibujo Plano". It's in Spanish, but that's not a problem because it contains only a few words, it's mostly composed by draws. It's for beginners and it only features separates (kind of croquis), and techniques (pleats,drapes, etc...) but it's still OK to learn the basics. Really cheap 25€.

portada.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer Programs

I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a summer intensive on fashion design. I want to take one at Otis this summer and wanted to see what people thought.

Kat

i took one at parsons in ny. it was really good if you wanted to get a glimpse of taking classes in fashion design & whether it was something you wanted to get into when you're applying for college.

Hi Katherine
I hope you are getting through tFS alright.
We have a thread on this topic already here that you can check:
Summer and online school programs?

Please next time, do a search for similar threads instead of creating a new one
Part of tFS Community Rules :flower:
Thank you

The tuition for Academy of Art Online is:

Undergraduate Courses: $600 per unit $1,800 per course
Graduate Courses: $700 per unit $2,100 per course

It's on their website at this link http://online.academyart.edu/tuition.html

Does anyone know if this a good school? I am thinking about transferring there this summer for their online program.

thought i'd revive this thread :smile:
i'm looking for a fashion design course in paris to go this summer. trouble is, i only found programs taking place in june or july and i can only go to paris in august and september.
anyone has any suggestions? :smile:

The tuition for Academy of Art Online is:

Undergraduate Courses: $600 per unit $1,800 per course
Graduate Courses: $700 per unit $2,100 per course

It's on their website at this link http://online.academyart.edu/tuition.html

Does anyone know if this a good school? I am thinking about transferring there this summer for their online program.

The fashion program is quite strong. The students show at NYFW which I don't think the other schools (FIT, Parsons) are able to do. I went here, but not for the fashion program. I've been happy with my education.

hmmm fashion school seems expensive

I really want to learn fashion design however, after looking into this thread the only way for me to get a degree in fashion design is online (considering I'm suck in a place with NO art school of any type in range). I keep seeing the academy of art, sf as the place to get a degree online but its really expensive! I don't think I can even get financial aid since I already exhausted it at my formal college of nearly 5 years. In any case I'm going to talk to their financial person today but I doubt I'd get any (I'm already 20k in debt).

So with that, I was wondering in the event I don't go to a fashion school what books do I buy to study fashion design? What areas do I need to know like color, history,pattern making, etc....I have a sewing machine and have a book on sewing but that's it. I'm fairly good at drawing as well albeit I haven't tried fashion illustrations. Basically to sum it up, what's the poor man's guide to fashion design? :wink:

tomgirlX welcome to tFS :heart:

we have many threads where you can find your answers
Just use the search function to find threads about books, sewing, etc.

Here are a few to get you started
Design question: draping vs construction
Sewing
Books About Fashion, Designers and the techniques - Recommendations ?
Mood Boards and Scrapbooks
About Sewing Machines and Sergers
Fashion Illustration & Drawing, How to? / Art materials, croquis, templates, books.
All About Producing Fashion Shows

We have a thread completely dedicated to fashion history, a sub-forum of the Designers & Collections forum:
History of Style

I really want to learn fashion design however, after looking into this thread the only way for me to get a degree in fashion design is online (considering I'm suck in a place with NO art school of any type in range). I keep seeing the academy of art, sf as the place to get a degree online but its really expensive! I don't think I can even get financial aid since I already exhausted it at my formal college of nearly 5 years. In any case I'm going to talk to their financial person today but I doubt I'd get any (I'm already 20k in debt).

So with that, I was wondering in the event I don't go to a fashion school what books do I buy to study fashion design? What areas do I need to know like color, history,pattern making, etc....I have a sewing machine and have a book on sewing but that's it. I'm fairly good at drawing as well albeit I haven't tried fashion illustrations. Basically to sum it up, what's the poor man's guide to fashion design? :wink:

I plan to do a semester online at Academy of Art university in San,Fran. Ive heard lot's of good thing...but ive also heard bad things, but mostly the bad things came from students who could not hack the work there and ended up dropping out because they couldn't commit. You may want to check it out ! They have a very high graduate employment rate :rolleyes:

I like what I read so I applied it to AAU :D. Now I'm looking for a way to get a 70k loan. Hopefully I can get enrolled in before fall semester starts. :D

I plan to do a semester online at Academy of Art university in San,Fran. Ive heard lot's of good thing...but ive also heard bad things, but mostly the bad things came from students who could not hack the work there and ended up dropping out because they couldn't commit. You may want to check it out ! They have a very high graduate employment rate :rolleyes:

I like what I read so I applied it to AAU :D. Now I'm looking for a way to get a 70k loan. Hopefully I can get enrolled in before fall semester starts. :D

oh my god I am feeling the same way you are lol. I can't wait to get there after I do an online semester, but hmmmm now onto my next challenge of finding like 80k AND a job to pay rent/housing/plane tickets haha^_^. Are you planning to do on campus classes at all tomgirl?

Well, for now Ninel, I'll be doing all online. Eventually I would have to go on campus to complete classes because I can't see how I'd learn pattern making via internet. It's cheaper for me to stay where I am now and just take the online classes. Tuition is 800 lesser per year too because online ppl don't pay for course fees. Right now I'm looking for private loans like Sallie Mae and I have a job right now (I live in california but not in san Fransisco). In any case what classes are you taking? My advisor told me to take fashion illustration I, fashion business, fashion history and Intro to fabrics. I'll be pre-registering in those classes tomorrow (shell out 120 refundable fee).Oh and I'm a transfer, so I'll be a sophomore at AAU. Hey if you're taking any of those classes, let's help each other out! Wanna be my study buddy :D?

oh my god I am feeling the same way you are lol. I can't wait to get there after I do an online semester, but hmmmm now onto my next challenge of finding like 80k AND a job to pay rent/housing/plane tickets haha^_^. Are you planning to do on campus classes at all tomgirl?

Stratford Careers Institute, Distance Education

Their programs are designed to be completed in two years. However, since this is a correspondence course and you will be working at your own pace, you may finish before then. It´s very affordable and effective training.

Some colleges and universities may accept their diploma depending on their curriculum. You would have to find out from the admissions office of the college that you're interested in enrolling with, whether or not their diploma is recognized by that school.

Enrolling in their program could be considered experience in your resume. Your diploma is a recognition of your scholastic achievement. Completion of a program of studies will enhance your resume and can make it look more attractive to potential employers.

I am taking their fashion design and merchandising course. Last week, I enrolled into their program. They are going to ship my material this week. I will keep you updated about it.

Does anyone here study at Stratford Careers Institute?

I'm thinking about doing a summer course at istituto marangoni Paris, I was wondering what people have heard about it? Whether anyone has been? Im only 17 and will be 18 when I go with there be people around my age there too?

I was wondering how the summer pre-college courses at the Academy of Art University in Chicago. I am mainly interested 'Fashion Styling', 'Fashion Construction', 'Fashion Illustration', and 'Fashion Journalism'. Only two of those courses are available online, so if the on-campus courses are good I might be able to persuade my parents to let me go. Any help is welcomed! :smile:

Summer School/ Short Courses in Fashion Desgin

Hey everybody,
I am thinking about taking a MA in Strategic Fashion Management at the LCF in London, as I am very into fashion.

However, I am considering taking a Summer Courses in Fashion Design for 4 weeks at a fashion school in Paris or in New York in order to understand more of the creative part of the business (also because I really LOVE fashion design, of course) before I start the MA-course.

So has got anybody of you any experience with these Summer Schools? I thought about ESMOD in Paris or maybe Parsons in NYC. However, it is really expensive, so I am not sure, if it is worth.

Thanks a lot!
Shopaholic

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->