The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Trenchcoat Do you shop in stores or online? I can't do online as it always results in a bad fit. Also how do you buy off tumblr? Search the items elsewhere? I'm super curious about how people shop.

--------
ShopSnap

I HATE buying online. I want to feel, touch and see the clothes. Half a year ago I've decided that I only want to buy stuff that I really like. I used to go to the stores all time and just shop. And when I was home I was like, I'm actually not in love with the pieces but I will wear them anyway. When I go through tumblr I save pictures of outfits that I would like to copy/wear in the same way. I also have a board on my pinterest with outfits that I would want to wear in the exact same way. For instance: I saw thekidsalooker today and loved her blouse. It was from Monki and now Im going to buy that one to. I also saw a lot of olive green sweater and I found one now in Massimo Dutti. A classic white shirt is also common in my pinterest board so I'm going to buy one. Thats how I shop now.

And I really like Eizhowas style and I ask her for advise a lot haha.

Trenchcoat: Thank you!:kiss: I am also happiest when I don't wear too many or too much color, but winters are so dreary I sometimes need it for morale...

Polkadot/chambray: I would go for what you would wear most. Considering which top would go with the most of your bottoms is a good place to start. I prefer the polka-dot myself, it is more APC, while chambray is more J.CREW in my mind.

Welcome to the tfs and the thread, NataliaShopSnap!:flower:

On shopping/wardrobe planning: I am very addicted to mapping my wardrobe out on Polyvore. I have 10+ drafts of how I would like my wardrobe to be (one with basics, one with statement pieces included, one for each season etc.). I feel more in control of my real-life wardrobe if my replica Polyvore wardrobe looks harmonious. That means few sillhouettes and a very strict color scheme for me. When I feel unhappy about my wardrobe, my first step is to go to Polyvore and try to figure out what I am not happy with. Oh, hours and hours of fun:mrgreen:

I don't really care for online shopping either. If I see something online, I will go try it on if I can (and then buy it online if it is cheaper:innocent:). I prefer sticking to the same sillhouettes, so I tend to get the same pieces in different colors. Ebay is handy for picking up items I already know fit. Sometimes I need to shop online though, because so few quality brands are available in my town:(

Betina: Bit off topic, but you are so Danish (from a Norwegian perspective) it doesn't seem real sometimes:lol: The contemporary elements of your style, all the black and your lifestyle otherwise (based on what I have read on your blog), all of it:D Even your coloring is just so danish!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a colourscheme again. My colours are definitely: rust, olive green, grey and navy. Even for summer. I don't like other colours.

LAGARCONNE.COM/LAGARCONNE.COM/VESTIAIREDECOPINES.COM/LAGARCONNE.COM/REISS.C/HEINE.DE/TOAST.CO.UK/SHOPZOEONLINE.COM/ALLWOMENSTALK.COM/cosstores.com/hm.com

@Trenchcoat I like to call this effortlessly elegant. My moto is 'simplicity is the ultimate sophistication' and your colourscheme evokes that IMO.

I must say that simplicity (which I enjoy) doesn't have to mean neutral colors. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I could never wear only neutrals. I simply (pun intended :P) like color too much. Wearing only neutrals would not feel like me.

For me simplicity has more to do with color combinations (having a color scheme, regardless of the colors it cottons), material, prints and lack of unnecessary items.

Ta-ta, you know what they say: If the shoe fits, buy it in every color. :wink:

Betina, I just love that skirt! I think I saw it online before, it has a nice sateen finish to it. I love stripes and can't get bored of them really.
I also think that we both have the same problem regarding dressing in terms of finding our own clothes boring sometimes. But I know myself well enough that I know as a fact that I would get bored of colours and patterns very quickly. Not that my whole wardrobe is monochromatic, but vast majority is and I don't have a problem with that. I am always trying to find pieces with different cuts and interesting textures and accessories it in a great manner.

I shopped a bit recently too and got a second item from my list, which is a ruffle neck sleeveless blouse and a lace t-shirt, which counts as a basic. This I already received and the fit is perfect, it will look great tucked in the skirts.

riverisland, asos

Attachments

• 651039_main-1.jpeg
    651039_main-1.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image1xxl-1.jpg
    image1xxl-1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
no, simplicity doesn't mean "neutral colors". and also it has to do with where i am. it's true in europe i don't feel like wearing much colors, especially in the winter. i do love mustard though. but when i travel, like in somewhere tropical and so vibrant in colors, yes, i want to wear colors! i can't just wear black, navy and grey when on an island in thailand, that doesn't feel right! i think style is a much more fluid thing, sure, we are all striving for signature styles, but the beauty of it is it flows and evolves with you. to simply follow a strict formula or set of rules will stifle the natural flow of self expression, thus stagnate your personal style. what makes personal style so endearing is how much life it carries. the life of the carrier, and your clothes should reflect that, also your clothes should reflect the inspiration you feel from your natural environment, the vibe of the season, etc, etc...then personal style will be much more "personal", and also much much more fun!

I must say that simplicity (which I enjoy) doesn't have to mean neutral colors. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I could never wear only neutrals. I simply (pun intended :P) like color too much. Wearing only neutrals would not feel like me.

For me simplicity has more to do with color combinations (having a color scheme, regardless of the colors it cottons), material, prints and lack of unnecessary items.

I will have to aggree with you. And I am not even into colours.

I am thinking of "reviving" my yelllow midi skirt this summer. I used to wear it a lot with a stripe tee and black ballet flats. That felt simple despite that fact that I find a bright yellow skirt to be a LOT of yellow.

I guess that is part of what my (mostly) solid colors thing is about :smile: I definitely have a lot of color, texture, and detail ... but very little print. I don't want busy, and when I see people wearing 7 different bright colors (as I did this past week--including turquoise, orange red, and pink) that have nothing to do with each other I feel like :wacko:

PS Jinadaze, I would be buying another identical pair, as I don't like any of the other fabrications. But, it's so hard for me to find blue denim I like that I'm still considering it. Love love love the lace-trim T!

@Trenchcoat: I really like your colour palette - it looks very much like my wardrobe except I have a fair bit of beige/camel thrown in there as well.
Did you decide on the polka dot vs. chambray shirt? If it was me I'd go with the chambray if I didn't already have one, I find it to be one of the most versatile (and comfortable!) items I own. :flower:

@betinapple: I can relate to getting really bored with your wardrobe, even when you're quite happy with the items you have. I tend to do the same as far as wearing the same safe combinations over and over even when I know I could easily mix them up differently. I also have a bit of a uniform problem, as I tend to be drawn to the same pieces in the same colours - for example, nearly all of my shirts and t-shirts are white, my pants and skirts are mostly black (except mid- to dark blue jeans, never anything lighter), with knitwear I am always drawn to beige and grey, and I have a thing for green jackets. Which means I very often end up wearing variations of the same outfit. :doh: I have been trying to change things up more lately, but it's hard! I bought a green shirt a while ago, the same olive colour that I like my jackets in, and I really like it, it fits me well, it combines easily with other pieces that I have, etc., but I just can't wear it. I don't understand it, but I rarely feel great in anything but a white shirt or t-shirt. I usually do a lot of layering, so I rarely wear just a white top on its own, but still.

Anyway, I saw the most recent post on the Into Mind blog lists 50 exercises to break out of a style rut - perhaps there is something there that could help you feel inspired again? :smile:

-------

As winter has come to an end I have been reviewing my wardrobe and made a wish list for next autumn/winter:
- Black leather riding boots - replacement
- Wool coat - I love my sleek black wool coat, but I think a lack of outerwear choices was what made me the most bored with my wardrobe this winter. I think a green coat would be a nice addition (to follow my uniform pattern :lol:)
- Black lace-up shoes/boots - I wore my brown ones to death this winter, but I think a black pair would work even better with my wardrobe.
- Black leather bag - something a bit more dressed down/casual than my current everyday bag
- Acne scarf - I'll still be hunting for that dark tan one! :lol:

I mentioned before being very happy with the shape my wardrobe is taking, and I really am, but only the colder weather part of it. It's april already and I really have no clear idea of what I want or need for summer. I tend to always feel a bit uncomfortable dressing during the warmest months, and I can't pinpoint why exactly that is. Summer is so ephemeral here that I never quite get the hang of it, I suppose. :rolleyes: I don't wear shorts, so I think I need a new skirt and perhaps a couple of summer dresses, but I am not sure what to look for. I prefer a feminine cut, but I don't want anything too girly - do you guys have any suggestions?

Oh, and a few updates:

- I started wearing the Bloch ballet flats that I bought on sale back in January, and so far they are very comfortable.

- I am in love with the second pair of jeans I got from Gina Tricot (the Matilda ones), they are perfect! Now I just wish they came in more colours/washes, as a pair of dark blue ones would make my jeans collection complete.

- I bought a leopard print cotton/silk scarf a few days ago - my first impulse purchase in months! It's very similar in weight/shape to the Beck Søndergaard scarves, and in shades of brown, beige and black. I rarely find leopard prints that I like, so I am really happy with this, and have already worn it with three different outfits.

@Eizhowa: really? :lol: I have never thought about it. And really, I feel very non-danish in my way of dressing. Perhaps because I feel like "the danish" way of dressing is jeans + a tee or an oversized dress - and that is really not me. But I can see what you mean with the monochromatic wardrobe and two pairs of ACNE shoes :wink:

I do the same thing as you in regards of wardrobe planning - just with pinterest. I update my wishlist, look at my wardrobe and inspiration boards, etc.

@Jina:
I know excactly what you mean! I might be bored with my wardrobe from time to time, but I know that print/coloured items I get tired of so fast, that they are not good investments for me. Instead I should go for not so coloured items, but with good details. And try harder to remember accesorizing. I love that shirt you got. The collar is a bit victorian looking - really like that! So elegant.

@Caramel: I am glad that it is not just me! I do excactly the same as you; my dresses are either black or printed, my shoes black (sandals light though; tan or beige), bottoms are black, etc. And even though I would wear a cream shirt in a heartbeat I would not feel good very a cream skirt - or even worse, cream pants :blink:

Thank you for your suggestion in regards of Into Minds guide. I will look into that. I also thought of doing a week where I can NOT repeat items - with a wardrobe of 65 items it should be perfectly possible. That might force me to think a bit out of the box. Also I am trying to revive my blog, and that might be fun to do some posts on.

Great idea of reviwing your winter wardrobe so far - then you know what to get when we hit fall!

Glad you like the Bloch flats - I have been very happy with mine as well. I think the leopard scarf will be gorgeous with your green jackets! :wink:

Me: I was contemplating getting a second down jacket since I have been wearing the printed one constantly since I got it in January, and I am often sad that I can not wear it when I am wearing a dress with print. Also, I wanted the navy one right from the beginning, but got the printed one because I was able to get it for a price insanely low at an outlet. I ordered it friday and it should be delivered to my work today. So excited. And since spring seems to have decided not to come to Denmark this year, I should still get plenty of wear from it.

I will have to take back the trenchcoat I bought though, since I discovered that one of the buttons is sown into the pocket, so I can not use the pockets -.-

I might think that I am not that trenchcoat-y a person ATM. Just does not feel right, but I have always found my old trench to be such a great staple that I never really considered that a new one might not be such a great purchase. So really I am okay with it. I just hope they will return my money.

G53278004_07U_main_large.jpg

Pic via peakperformance.com

@Eizhowa: just wanted to let you know that I saw a rust coloured camisole today! From H&Ms concious collection. It was made from polyester though. It did not look cheap from what I saw in the brief time I had the opportunity to look at it, but it might not be that comfortable for hot summer days.

Polkadots I guess I'm going for the polkadots. It looks very APC

Camisole I've pinned that rusty camisole for Eizhowa.

Outfits I've been really obsessed with 'museum outfits'. It sounds weird but I saw a lot of french museum pictures and I was constantly watching the outfits. So effortlessly chic!

Betina & Trenchcoat: I am planning to have a look at the camisole when I pass by HM the next time. I know the fabric isn't ideal, but the color is so perfect I need to look at it in person to determine its faith:wink:

Betina: What hot summer days?:rolleyes: On the hottest summer days, I don't wear jeans/trousers, just dresses, so the top wouldn't be used if it is 20+ degrees and sunny.

Trenchcoat:
Could you link to these pictures? Not sure what you mean, but I am curious!

I will make a new pinterest board and pin the pictures over there. Eizhowa do you have a rusty jumper? Im really looking for one!!

^No, and I have been searching for ages! I have found long sleeve tees in the past, but no proper knits:(

I spotted a rusty sweater (merino wool) on sale at the mens department of COS. But I'm not sure if it's a flattering cut for women, it has quite a high v-neck.

I spotted a rusty sweater (merino wool) on sale at the mens department of COS. But I'm not sure if it's a flattering cut for women, it has quite a high v-neck.

I saw that one today and its not really rusty in real life. It's more to the yellow side. And it had a very high v-neck unfortunately.

Today I saw the rusty HM camisole but it was very polyester-like. I didnt like it.

^I checked out the camisole too and I didn't like it either. The color was great, more of a brown based rust, rather than orange, but it did feel like cheap polyester and it looked like it:shock: Also, the stitching was very poor, it puckered at places and the way it was partly lined was poorly executed. I could go on:innocent:

Betina: Well, I lived at an art-school, so maybe my impression of the danish is a little biased:wink: Do you still have a picture of the trench you returned? Was the buttons placement intentional or a mistake from the manufacturers side do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5starnoe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->